Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

Rumormill: McLaren plans legendary F1 successor

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:46 PM
TS Official Automotive Enthusiast
D55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond repute
Rumormill: McLaren plans legendary F1 successor

Formula One powerhouse McLaren secretly has begun work on a replacement for its legendary F1 supercar, while it also gears up to become a mainstream sports-car maker.

McLaren's Technology Center in Woking, England, has built some 2,000 McLaren SLR supercars a year for Mercedes-Benz, but McLaren boss Ron Dennis reportedly has his sights set on producing 1,000 of its upcoming Ferrari F430-fighting P11s a year starting in 2011. The number, Dennis said, will rise to 4,000 cars by mid-decade as future models such as the Porsche 911-challenging P8 come on line.

At the top of those future models, according to McLaren Automotive Design director Frank Stephenson, will be an all-new version of the F1, the 240-mph exotic that rewrote the supercar rules when it arrived in 1992.

In an informal interview at the Geneva motor show, Stephenson said he is sketching ideas to replace the legendary Peter Stevens-styled F1. So, while spy photographers have been busy snapping pictures of P11 prototypes, Stephenson has moved on to the challenge of replacing one of the most revered cars in automotive history.

"For the F1 replacement, there are not the restrictions on us, like with P11," Stephenson said. "I am looking at a clean sheet of paper for the F1 replacement, and we are still trying to see what directions we want it to go in, in terms of its design.

"This one will be my influence from start to finish."

Stephenson, who led design for BMW's first Mini, the original BMW X5, the reborn Fiat 500 and the Maserati MC12, said that McLaren has more road cars to come.

"The P11 is the building block for the whole of the McLaren automotive range," he said. "It's really a Ferrari F430 competitor, and there's plenty of room above that."

The McLaren production car lineup can't be called broad based. The original F1 was a limited edition vehicle. Manufacture of the equally stunning Mercedes-Benz McLaren SLR was recently brought in-house to AMG's performance division to design and engineer replacements, including the 2011 gull-winged SLS.

With the P8, the P11 and the next F1, McLaren has a chance to change all of that.

The next F1: McLaren plans replacement for supercar: AutoWeek Magazine

Old 04-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
While I'm excited to see the car, I'm also kind of pissed. I don't understand the need for a "new" McLaren F1 since the first one was the best car ever built for close to 15 years, and still is the best car in the world, imo. A new one could NEVER be as good as the original because while it might have more power, it would simply be impossible to make one that light and agile again with that crazy attention to detail because of all the safety regulations and red tape you have to go through to make it street legal these days. Besides, I can't think of anything other than a one-make series in which it could race so it won't have the racing heritage like the original Macca F1 did either. Just sounds like a waste of time.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
^^^
agreed those are some huge shoes to fill calling it the next F1 would kill the car before it comes to fruition

Old 04-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
Well said Alzilla, and while I'd say I agree with you, I have this little caveat:

I love the original GT40 and with the precious few that they actually built (continuation ones notwithstanding), know that I'd likely never be lucky enough to get one. Then the new GT came out. I just LOVE my car!!!

Well, the Macca F1 is my absolute favorite car on the planet. I know I'll likely never be lucky enough to get one. But if a new one comes out, and does for me what the new GT did for the GT40, and doesn't end up costing like a Veyron or Reventon, well then I can save my pennies and maybe get one. That's my $0.02. Wait, I might need those thought pennies back if this comes to fruition!

Old 04-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
While I'm excited to see the car, I'm also kind of pissed. I don't understand the need for a "new" McLaren F1 since the first one was the best car ever built for close to 15 years, and still is the best car in the world, imo. A new one could NEVER be as good as the original because while it might have more power, it would simply be impossible to make one that light and agile again with that crazy attention to detail because of all the safety regulations and red tape you have to go through to make it street legal these days. Besides, I can't think of anything other than a one-make series in which it could race so it won't have the racing heritage like the original Macca F1 did either. Just sounds like a waste of time.

I agree....I don't think they should build the next "F1"

Just build what you can and make em as bad ass as you can......

No need to reinvent a legend

Old 04-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Superfly
Well said Alzilla, and while I'd say I agree with you, I have this little caveat:

I love the original GT40 and with the precious few that they actually built (continuation ones notwithstanding), know that I'd likely never be lucky enough to get one. Then the new GT came out. I just LOVE my car!!!

Well, the Macca F1 is my absolute favorite car on the planet. I know I'll likely never be lucky enough to get one. But if a new one comes out, and does for me what the new GT did for the GT40, and doesn't end up costing like a Veyron or Reventon, well then I can save my pennies and maybe get one. That's my $0.02. Wait, I might need those thought pennies back if this comes to fruition!
You make a good point about the Ford GT. That's easily one of my top 5 favorite cars ever. I think the difference was that enough time had past from when the GT40 was available (40 years) that it was OK to build another one.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Teamspeed Member
latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Well, IMO it's impossible to replicate, replace or one-up the original F1. They can only make a "successor" which I am fine with. Another uber car from McLaren is perfectly acceptable if billed as such. I have all the faith in the world in Stephenson, but they are missing one thing this time around, and his name is Gordon Murray. Also, it's a little disconcerting that Stephenson is talking about where the design will go, whereas Murray would be working out the engine placement, lug nut weights and fuel cell packaging! I just hope they can pull together a team that is focused on the total package. As for the exterior appearance, well, I love everything Stephenson has done so far.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Superfly

I agree that the Ford GT remake was a home run and that it would be great to make a somewhat accessible model of one of the world's rarest and most exclusive supercars. However, the F1 was $1mil in 1992. Unfortunately a remake is not likely going to be priced below Veyron, Reventon or similar money. The Zonda R or CCX seem to be closest current approximations to the F1 in concept and execution. Both of them are priced at or near the $1 mil mark. All I can do is dream........

Old 04-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute
Dear McLaren,

Please don't f%ck this up.

Sincerely,

Milan

Last edited by ///Milan; 04-09-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Given the ever increasing eco-tard and safety police requirements, I don't see how you could make something as light and purposeful as the F1 today and actually be able to sell it anywhere.

That said, I'd love to be wrong, and if I am I'll have several organs for sale.

Quick Reply: Rumormill: McLaren plans legendary F1 successor