Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

The Official McLaren F1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
KS9495 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Peloton25
Had not seen it, but I question the legitimacy of the ad. The first F1 built after the prototypes was #002 for the Brunei Royal Family painted Dorchester Grey. Here's an image of it:

The car in the photos on Jameslist is #013 when it was for sale at BingoSports in Japan back in January 2009.

The ad may be referring to chassis #001 which was silver, but the year they have listed of 1995 would be incorrect. Here is that car:

Last but not least the asking price is far too low for the first car with almost no mileage. I have a feeling that if #001 were available it would exceed the price #062 just brought by a considerable amount.

I remain skeptical but thanks for the heads up sir.

>8^)
ER
How many actually made it to Brunei & what versions?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:51 AM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KS9495
How many actually made it to Brunei & what versions?
Nine cars have been confirmed as part of the Brunei Royal Family's collection. I believe a tenth McLaren was also sold to them as well, perhaps ending up in one of their homes in a different part of the world.

The F1 road cars were #002, #004*, #005, #008 and #014.

They purchased 3 of the 5 customer LMs - LM1, LM4 and LM5 with the first two being the infamous "Black F1s" and the last one in the traditional orange color.

They got one F1 GT, the longtail road car - chassis 54F1GT which is black.

They also got one F1 GTR - #09R which was built as an exact copy of the GTR that won the 1995 24Hrs of LeMans. Reportedly they wanted to purchase the original but McLaren were no interested in selling it.

As of last year 7 of the 10 cars were still in Brunei according to a source who gained access to the collection. Missing were #004, #005 and #014. The last of that trio is known to have been sold from the collection in the early part of the decade and is currently in the USA. It was yellow but now has been resprayed in white and fitted with the downforce kit. One of the other two would have been the car heavily crashed by a mechanic in Brunei and written off in a crash - I believe that was #005. Lastly is #004 then, which you may have noticed I put an asterisk next to above. This is the car that was sold to the Brunei Royal Family according to one piece of info I have, but has never been confirmed as being in Brunei.

In 2006 a list of the collection from Garage #5 made it onto the web and all the other McLarens were included on it except #004. It has also never surfaced anywhere else in all the years I have been tracking them. There has been a rumor of a red F1 in a private collection in Monaco, but details are fuzzy and I have seen no proof of it. Definitely one of the remaining F1 mysteries that I hope we can unravel soon.

>8^)
ER

Old 12-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
NGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really nice
Peloton, who owns the F1 GT chassis #058?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:36 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Yoshio Tsuzuki is that car's original owner. It's kept alongside LM2 in the ZAZ Museum in Nagoya, Japan which is unfortunately no longer open to the public so I am told.

In 2008 the GT resurfaced after a long absence from the museum of almost 3 years. During it's time away McLaren had completely refitted the car from it's original Burgundy/Tan combo to a striking paint job reminiscent of West McLaren Formula One car livery. The interior was also redone in greys and blacks as well.

>8^)
ER

Old 12-16-2010, 05:19 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
NGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really nice
Thanks a lot for the reply, Peloton. After reading your post I've done some searching and came across these (obviously the car we're talking about):

Truly an amazing machine. Shame pictures of it are hard to come by.

Attached Images   
Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
KS9495 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was told a PINK McLaren exist. Anyone got pictures?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't heard of a pink McLaren F1 but I know there is a pink Pagani Zonda in Singapore if I'm not mistaken.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:50 AM
McLaren Fanatic
Well there were GTRs painted in Rocket Pink and Gray with LARK cigarette sponsorship. Both 13R and 14R raced in the Japan GT series in 1996 in that livery.

See here

There were also a couple of longtails that wore something similar too.

As for road cars the answer is no based on original paint and everything I have seen since. The closest you might get to someone being confused about that would be this shot of Rowan Atkinson's F1 on a cold damp night in England when shot with a flash. The car is actually dark burgundy but you wouldn't really know that from this picture.

>8^)
ER

Old 12-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Peleton,

Do you know which chassis numbers are in the BMW museum? I believe they have 3 of them.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:45 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Their silver road car is chassis #047.

The '96-spec GTR is #18R and the '97-spec longtail is #26R.

I'd love to visit the Classics Collection museum where they are stored as it is wall-to-wall with amazing pieces of BMW's history.

>8^)
Erik

Quick Reply: The Official McLaren F1 Thread