Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

My Friend Claims To Have Seen A McLaren F1

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
It's pretty hard to mistake a McLaren for anything else ... only one that kinda comes close would be a Mosler ... and there was a silver one in Monterey, maybe it migrated down to OC?

Looks just like this ... very similar, especially in silver!
http://api.ning.com/files/OwR4t4qVFZ...00Sbullrun.jpg

Old 09-06-2008, 01:16 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
It's pretty hard to mistake a McLaren for anything else ... only one that kinda comes close would be a Mosler ... and there was a silver one in Monterey, maybe it migrated down to OC?

Looks just like this ... very similar, especially in silver!
http://api.ning.com/files/OwR4t4qVFZ...00Sbullrun.jpg

That is an interesting possibility. But I also think the Zonda looks very much like an F1 in the front end.

Isn't the Zonda just a modified DTM Mercedes? McLaren and MB have a close relationship. I think they share some design cues.

Last edited by Barrister; 09-06-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
No no no no, the Zonda has nothing to do with the CLK-GTR, even less the DTM.
The chassis and body are designed and made by Pagani (who actually has been making composites for Lamborghini forever).

The only Mercedes filiation comes from the engine, which as far as I know has nothing to do with the CLK-GTR engine. Why Mercedes? Horacio Pagani was good friends with a fellow argentinian, you may have heard of him ... Juan Manuel Fangio. As you may guess, he was in very good terms with Mercedes and made sure they would sell the engine to Pagani.

They first started with the Zonda C12, using the 400hp 6.0L V12 found in the W140 S-Class, and upgraded to the 550hp AMG 7L for the Zonda C12S. There's only one remaining C12, the very first Pagani. The 6 remaining C12 rumored to have been built have been converted to C12 S specs. You can tell a C12 from a C12 S from the non-split rear wing and front end.
2002, engine is upgraded from 7L to 7.3L, only makes 5hp (and [____] this much more torque) but takes cares of more stringent emissions.

And if you're implying by their resemblance that Mercedes is the common denominator ... Mercedes didn't own or work with McLaren back then (Honda power until 1992, then Ford and Peugeot, Mercedes came in way after the F1 was built), and the engine in the McLaren F1 is actually a BMW.

Last edited by Zorro; 09-06-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
^Zorro pretty much hit the nail on the head regarding Pagani/MBZ-AMG relationship. The further the Zonda evolves, the less MBZ-AMG is in the motor. For instance, the very first C12 used the naturally aspirated V12 out of the S/CL600 with only a different intake manifold/throttlebody, exhaust manifold/muffler setup and some ECU tuning. However, I believe the current F only uses the stock AMG bottom end, all other parts are bespoke Pagani.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Coochas
Last one I saw was at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston,...it was part of Ralph Lauren's collection which was on display in the museum.
When was this?

Old 09-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
No no no no, the Zonda has nothing to do with the CLK-GTR, even less the DTM.
Thanks Zorro! That was very informative. That is why I love TS - you learn something cool about cars every day. Much appreciated my friend!

But I still think they look a lot alike.

Last edited by Barrister; 09-06-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JonA85
When was this?
I was wondering the same thing! I watched a whole special on the Discovery channel last night about the exhibit and if I was living in Boston while it was there and didn't see it I'll be pissed. It showed him driving his Orange McLaren all over though... totally amazing. I'll never not be obsessed with that car

Old 09-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Official TS Crybaby - Forever
Ryan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond repute
I think seeing a Pagani on the road here in Socal is WAY more rare than a McLaren F1. I've seen a few McLarens in Sandeigo and someone posted pics of a blue one a while ago up at Crystal Cove in OC.

They are out there...

I have never seen or heard of a Pagani being in town.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLC4S
I was wondering the same thing! I watched a whole special on the Discovery channel last night about the exhibit and if I was living in Boston while it was there and didn't see it I'll be pissed. It showed him driving his Orange McLaren all over though... totally amazing. I'll never not be obsessed with that car
I've heard Herb Chambers has a yellow one also and drives it everynow and then. I still have yet to see one in real life.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Coochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JonA85
When was this?
I think it was Summer 2005. He has some truly exceptional cars.

Quick Reply: My Friend Claims To Have Seen A McLaren F1