Notices
Maserati | Alfa Romeo | General Italian Quattroporte, Gran Turismo, MC12, 4C, Guilia & More Discussion Forum.

New Maserati Sports Car Rumor

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
Part of the appeal of Porsche is the reliability and useability of them. Not just power to weight.
Masers are going to have a tough time cracking that nut.
I am pretty sure that much to the chagrin of German auto fans, they are well on their way.

Again, their major issues came from the DuoSelect transmissions which have been out of production since 08. The occasional electric gremlin is a different animal.

Like I have said before, I would be happy to list all of the Porsche horror stories I came across when I worked at a dealership, but it's like a Ford vs Chevy debate. Fan boys will be fan boys.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Last edited by cstroked; 06-17-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
not a fanboy comment,
but it takes more than a few years of consecutive models with good reliability before such a past is left behind.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by U-Boat Commander
I do, because I bought it with a 25% discount to MSRP. Someone else already took the first hit. A 991 will suffer 55% depreciation over 4 yrs while my Maz will depreciate less during my ownership.
Well, one can hope mate, but that's not going to be the case. Sorry. The market treats Porsche VERY well compared to Maserati.

Also your numbers are pure speculation when we have REAL numbers on Maserati chassis right now. The only person it'll be worth more to, is you. Not a dealer, wholesaler or a 3rd party.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
not a fanboy comment,
but it takes more than a few years of consecutive models with good reliability before such a past is left behind.
I didn't mean that you were a fanboy, but that there are fanboys will who read and would argue until blue in the face.

Completely agree - they've only been back in the market since 04. Long way to go

I also find it pointless to compare these two cars. Italian cars have soul. Porsches have the personality of a rock.

Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Well, one can hope mate, but that's not going to be the case. Sorry. The market treats Porsche VERY well compared to Maserati.

Also your numbers are pure speculation when we have REAL numbers on Maserati chassis right now. The only person it'll be worth more to, is you. Not a dealer, wholesaler or a 3rd party.
I still think you're missing what Steve is saying - he bought at a depreciated price therefore the price he gets will be less of a loss to him than if he bought new. Mathematically it works out. Do new Maseratis perform as well as new Porsches in depreciation? Absolutely not.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
No, I completely understand what Steve is saying. but it's NOT apples to apples. You can't conveniently dismiss the cars original MSRP just to arbitrarily make the depreciation better on a car. Sure he will fair better then someone who bought it new; but that's still not a real comparison of depreciation.

Go MSRP to MSRP and how old the car is (in this case we're using a 4 year comparison) and w/o any doubt the Porsche will hold a better value % wise compared to it's original MSRP.

You know this.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
Actually a fantastic move - Ferrari wanted to release a lower priced vehicle to compete with the segment but know it'll lower the brand, so having Maserati enter that field will not harm the Ferrari badge and will seriously open up sales. People are bored of the R8 and 911, this will steal a hell of a lot of customers.
People aren't bored of the 911 or they wouldn't sell 10's of 1000's a year of the model.

I agree about this being a fantastic move.
I'd not hold my breath to see that happen. That's like Porsche allowing VW to use the old 996/997 chassis and slap a VW badge on it.
Not remotely close. Maserati has always had it's own "high end" following. VW doesn't have a "high end" client based on that $80k sedan fiasco.
that's the rub; what would it do to Ferrari F430 resale values? Price being equal buyers in todays world are more motivated by brand spank'n new with full warranties-OR- fully authorized CPO'd cars. Against a CPO'd F430, clearly someone wouldn't have an issue spending the money on the car. But if Maserati does indeed get the green light to utilize the F430 Chassis- you'll see non CPO values on F430 slide even further. That will hurt Ferrari and it'll become less desireable to a potential 1st time Ferrari buyer.

Choice A: Buy a F430 used
Choice B: Buy a Rebadged F430 (I'm joking here) Brand new Maserati with F430 Pedigree with all the latest toys

People will choose B; The same person financially speaking will too. Thus further driving down the F430 used market.

Ferrari / FIAT will have to consider this carefully.

while I think it would be neat, I think its dangerous waters for Ferrari and Ferrari owners.
I don't think they will compete in the least.

This appears to be a lightweight car with a big engine. It's different. It's new. It will make a splash and if it performs as a 2600lb 495hp car should it will be outstanding in my book. I'd love to have a car made by Maserati vs those POS Loti of which I can't stand.
holy shit did you just say that?!!

$200 IS the same as $175 to a buyer. SAME buyer. LOL

To compete with a 991 it would HAVE to be around $115-120. Start pushing closer to $150 and by the time that car comes out the 991 Turbo will be out; and THAT car WILL smoke this Maserati.

Like I said, they have a lot of thinking to do if they really want to play this game.
While they say it's a 991 competitor it really isn't for the base models.

Italian car fans don't want Porsches. Reference about 50,000 posts on Fchat. The guys would rather a $40k 328 over a $100k 991 9 days a week. See Alex's post below.

Ferrari badge is about 50% of the customer base concern. Ferrari Spa sells 6000 plus units a year. Make insane profits and don't care 1 bit about the used market other than it creates intrigue into their new car market.

Used F430's will sell just as well if not more as it will give a teaser as to what the 430 engine/chassis is all about with an entirely new market of owners.

While I love Porsches beyond any other car the typical Ferrari owner could give 2 craps about any Porsche used or new off the line. It's about the badge that the typical Ferrari owner believes is above all other cars. No questions asked.

99 of 100 328 owners will tell you their car is more sought after and better than any new generation 911. They can't see past the badge. It's sad.
Originally Posted by Alzilla
The difference is that people who really want a Ferrari will still buy a used F430 over the Maserati. Just sayin'.
I know you're just say'n Alex. But no offense; you don't know the client base like I do.

It's about a percieved value on both sides. Will there be people who want a F430? Absolutely. But you'd be highly uneducated if you thought they won't weigh heavily the two... I can just hear the Maserati sales consultant now; "It's built on a F430 Chassis".

Tell me THAT won't piss Ferrari owners off. Or on the flip side it'll be yet another Maserati with horrible depreciation.

Fiat can afford to do this right if they want. Make a mid-engined car on it's own platform for around $120; they'd sell out of them.

U- it's no surprise you'd choose the Mas.

Why not poney up for a 458? Have you driven one?
My perceived view of the Maserati's having a Ferrari engine is I'd guess what 95% of Ferrari owners feel.

We don't remember they have the engines in them. It doesn't discount Ferrari a bit it makes Maserati a better vehicle. It also keeps Ferrari costs down LOL because they utilize the massive engine factory to produce both.

So I know as fact that "we" as Ferrari owners could give a crap if Maserati's rock the engines. It's a non-issue in the Ferrari world.
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Well it's going to be a Maserati. It'll have horrible depreciation no matter what. But I hear you. I wonder if Ferrari really cares about second hand resale value when they've got a line out the door for the new stuff as it is.

I also agree that if UBC can swing a 458 then he absolutely should. I haven't driven one yet but there are very few cars that really get me excited these days with that being one of them.
IMHO Maserati's horrid resale has been wrapped directly around their tranny and other body issues. Not unlike Mercedes and the gray hairs complaining about everything from a rattle on bumpy roads to an ash tray problem ruining their lives.

When you have high end clients you have high end Bitching and Moaning. It's the nature of the beast.

If Maserati builds a lightweight to compete against Lotus I would spend triple for an Italian go-kart vs that POS lumpy ride horrid thing called a Lotus. Plus the Maserati in those pictures looks great.

I sure hope they build one. They look great.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
not a fanboy comment,
In steps Audi to this conversation

Audi had a horrid time for years. Now they've a huge fan base and great following.

Plus their engines year after year (Lemans this weekend) are proven racecars now. This will just continue to build a solid year after year customer base.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
Mark while I appreciate your retort; here in the States, Maserati trade in/ wholesale numbers would say otherwise. I suspect Maserati will see a definately up- tick in that when the new products are released; but I've never seen a Maserati hold its value as well as say, a 997 when it's an apples to apples comparision. But like you said, due to the transmission/fit finish and dealer (lack of) support- those have contributed almost wholly to the horrible resale value.

Maserati, Range Rover, Jag, and Aston all suffered huge depreciation.

Porsche surely hasn't been clear of that guilt either with the 996 chassis and when the 997's had incentives. However Porsche CPO sales have enjoyed a very healthy run over the last few years, and I've seen both 996 AND 997 values stabilize and on certain models increase in value.

Once Maserati comes out with NEW Products that are fresh, clean and exciting the values will increase as well (for the newer chassis).

Now stop trolling and go drive your Porsche!

Last edited by STOPPIE; 06-18-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura about
If maserati could make something similar in performance & feel to a 360 CS that would be fantastic.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Rolex Fanboy
Mark while I appreciate your retort; here in the States, Maserati trade in/ wholesale numbers would say otherwise. I suspect Maserati will see a definately up- tick in that when the new products are released; but I've never seen a Maserati hold its value as well as say, a 997 when it's an apples to apples comparision. But like you said, due to the transmission/fit finish and dealer (lack of) support- those have contributed almost wholly to the horrible resale value.

Maserati, Range Rover, Jag, and Aston all suffered huge depreciation.

Porsche surely hasn't been clear of that guilt either with the 996 chassis and when the 997's had incentives. However Porsche CPO sales have enjoyed a very healthy run over the last few years, and I've seen both 996 AND 997 values stabilize and on certain models increase in value.

Once Maserati comes out with NEW Products that are fresh, clean and exciting the values will increase as well (for the newer chassis).

Now stop trolling and go drive your Porsche!
I didn't want to come across like the Maserati Quatro doesn't make Mercedes look like good resale. I totally agree with you.

I just feel they got hammered by their shit tranny and cars hitting the dealers more than the Hookers do.

Italian blood runs deep tho. Way deep and after 4-5 years of non tranny issues these cars will make a come back.

Remember their dealer networks are tiny as well. It's hard to sell a car for $140k to a customer 100's of miles from a dealer. It's just too tough with problems. So this also hurts typical resale as well.

Crap there are Porsche dealers on every corner.....dime a dozen really....

Quick Reply: New Maserati Sports Car Rumor