Notices
Maserati | Alfa Romeo | General Italian Quattroporte, Gran Turismo, MC12, 4C, Guilia & More Discussion Forum.

New Maserati Sports Car Rumor

Old 05-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by U-Boat Commander
My bet is that they wind up using the F430 aluminum frame and not a carbon tub as stated in one of the articles. So basically, it will wind up being an F430 repackaged as a Maserati for a lower price. That would involve little R&D. Not a bad deal for Fiat or customers.
I'd not hold my breath to see that happen. That's like Porsche allowing VW to use the old 996/997 chassis and slap a VW badge on it.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
I'd not hold my breath to see that happen. That's like Porsche allowing VW to use the old 996/997 chassis and slap a VW badge on it.
Not sure why you think that. Maseratis and Alfas already liberally dip into the Ferrari parts bin for engines and transmissions. What's the harm in throwing in a chasis too? VWs don't use Porsche engines. There is a difference in philosophy at Fiat. Also, VW would not make a competitor to their current 911. I don't think a Maserati 430 would be viewed as a competitor to a F458 or even a California; in fact the car is supposed to be slotted under the 458 and California to compete with 911s and R8s. I bet pricing will be in the $170K range, whereas a new California is more like $225K and a new 458 is more like $275K. Makes prefect sense to add a car into the Fiat lineup at that price point.

Stoppie: You should want this to happen. You will sell a shitload of these.

Last edited by U-Boat Commander; 05-30-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
Evo pic:

Old 05-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Me like.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Another thought, the new car could use the same chasis as the Alfa 4C, which is carbon. That would make prefect sense. Take the 4C chasis and stick a Ferrari V8 in it with a Ferrari dual clutch. Bam! That would be one awesome car that could easily compete with the 911 and R8.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
that's the rub; what would it do to Ferrari F430 resale values? Price being equal buyers in todays world are more motivated by brand spank'n new with full warranties-OR- fully authorized CPO'd cars. Against a CPO'd F430, clearly someone wouldn't have an issue spending the money on the car. But if Maserati does indeed get the green light to utilize the F430 Chassis- you'll see non CPO values on F430 slide even further. That will hurt Ferrari and it'll become less desireable to a potential 1st time Ferrari buyer.

Choice A: Buy a F430 used
Choice B: Buy a Rebadged F430 (I'm joking here) Brand new Maserati with F430 Pedigree with all the latest toys

People will choose B; The same person financially speaking will too. Thus further driving down the F430 used market.

Ferrari / FIAT will have to consider this carefully.

while I think it would be neat, I think its dangerous waters for Ferrari and Ferrari owners.

Last edited by STOPPIE; 05-30-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
and honstly UBC; if you drop $200k on a Maserati; that would be highly foolish.

Go get the REAL deal- a lightly used 458 Italia. - THE REAL deal.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^ I don't think it will be $200K, not if it's to compete with 911 and R8.

The article states that it will be under 150 EUR. So let's say it's 140 EUR. That's $175K.

Last edited by U-Boat Commander; 05-30-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
Originally Posted by U-Boat Commander
^ I don't think it will be $200K, not if it's to compete with 911 and R8.

The article states that it will be under 150 EUR. So let's say it's 140 EUR. That's $175K.
holy shit did you just say that?!!

$200 IS the same as $175 to a buyer. SAME buyer. LOL

To compete with a 991 it would HAVE to be around $115-120. Start pushing closer to $150 and by the time that car comes out the 991 Turbo will be out; and THAT car WILL smoke this Maserati.

Like I said, they have a lot of thinking to do if they really want to play this game.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I think it will be in the same price range as the R8 and 911TT, which we both be around $165K. So what if the 911TT smokes the Maserati? People will buy the Maserati because it has style and Italian charisma whereas the Porsche will be seen as boring and antiseptic. In other words, the two cars will appeal to different people. And a 460ish hp 2645lb car will be plenty fast enough. Personally, given the choice between a 991TT and this sort of Maserati, it's a no brainer, I would go with the Maserati.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Maserati Sports Car Rumor