Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

DIY Project - Fixing the Z3 M Coupe's Wobbly Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 03:19 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond repute
DIY Project - Fixing the Z3 M Coupe's Wobbly Seats

For anyone who has owned a Z3, a common problem is that the seats start wobbling after a few years. As the rubber washers wear out, the seats start sliding back and forth and it gets very annoying. My passenger seat starting wobbling a couple of years ago, and when I took it into the shop, the dealers checked both seats and returned the car to me with the driver seat also damaged. They quoted me in the range of $5,000 to get a whole new railing system for both seats. After a bit of research, I found these plastic washers (pictured below) from Whalen for $30 and they apparently fix the problem.

Day 1, I took out the seat by unfastening the rails (4 bolts) and removing the wiring loom. I will try to finish this project over this long weekend, doing a little every time my wife and kids leave the house I'll keep updating with my progress.

Perhaps its a good time to vacuum under the seat

Removed

Under the seat

The washers

Last edited by MC321; 12-30-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond repute
First mistake - should have taken the seat all the way back before removing it from the car, that way I can expose the big torx screw in the front. Had to move the seat back, plug it in, move it and bring it back in. (Pic 1 below)

First problem - the stealership screwed my t20 torx screws and they're loose. Need to find a solution to be able to remove this last one to get to the washers. (Pic 2 below)

Old 12-30-2011, 05:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Good luck with it mate! Inshallah your car will be fixed in no time

Old 12-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Good Luck Bro! Inshaallah you get it sorted out. if you need any help give me a shout

Old 12-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alright.. it was physically and mentally challenging..

So I was able to get the last torx screw out and got to the offender. I marked where the brackets stood on the rail to get it right when putting everything back together. Used a sharpy and masking tape just incase.

This is what it looks like with the previous rubber bushings all MELTED

Spent time cleaning all the goop out and got it all nice and clean. next step was to install the new plastic bushings but unfortunately they are made wide, so I had to sand them down and slot them in.

Finished product

You can see a major difference in the before and after. Put everything back together which was a bit of hassle. You need to get the rail lined up, and then make sure the motor is properly connected and aligned. Once done I cleaned the seat with some leather cleaner/protector.

Put the seat back in the car and it lined up just fine. Screwed everything back in and voila, no more rocking and wobbling! $5,000 saved. I'll do the passenger seat tomorrow

Old 12-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Love that interior. Have you posted pics of the car elsewhere?
I didn't know Whalen manufactured anything else. I had one of his metal shift knobs for my Mini Coop S. Great piece of hardware.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Thanks b.. here are some pix.. and I've never dealt with Whalen before and came across these bushings on some forum..

Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Nice shoe! Never driven one before, but they look like a hoot!

Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
AudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond repute
Love that car!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Teamspeed

Old 12-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
POWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond repute
Love the car.

Your warehouse?

Quick Reply: DIY Project - Fixing the Z3 M Coupe's Wobbly Seats