Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Garage queen problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Garage queen problems

So my 2003 M5 had basically no paint blemish, because it sat and ate batteries in some rich guy's garage. When I bought it, at 34K miles, it averaged less than 5K miles a year.

But, to get a car that sat for extended period of time back to capable of daily usage, even on a relatively new car of 2003, you should expect problems.

When I got the car home, I replaced the intake air filters, which looked like they had never been replaced.

After that, I started getting SES lights. So I went into the secret menu and did some MAF test, and sure enough I couldn't get to anywhere near 140liter per hour that a good MAF can.

Replaced the MAF, and I occasionally would still get SES. So I took it to my regular indie shop. They read the code, code 95, and replaced the fuel sending unit and the sensor and called it a day. So they didn't look into the issue further.

After this, I was still getting SES light, so I decided to call up the dealer that I ordered my M3 sedan from, and see if they can do better.

My dealer hooked me up with a 2011 328 loaner and assigned me to a car guy service writer who himself has a 335i and a 335d.

After systematically testing coils, plus, and injectors, they figured out the problem:

3625us #1 cylinder (inj replacement recommended)
11207us #2 cylinder (inj replacement highly recommended)
20934us #3 cylinder (inj replacement definitely needed)
363us #4 cylinder (injector okay)
19912us#5 cylinder (inj replacement definitely needed)
3443us #6 cylinder (inj replacement recommended)
539us #7 cylinder (injector okay)
11761us #8 cylinder (inj replacment highly recommended)

Yes, their labor rate is slightly more than the indie guy, but, they took the time and got to the bottom of the problem, and I didn't have to rent a car out of pocket.

Sometimes, dealer service department > indie shop run by a BMW master tech who used to work at a dealership.

Looks like I might have finally found a good BMW dealer in LA.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
So 6 out of 8 injectors are all gunked up? Whoa.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
Not surprised about the injectors. What dealership are you working with. If its a good shop, might as well let us know!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
So 6 out of 8 injectors are all gunked up? Whoa.
Yep, I guess that happens when your car sits a lot. And averaging less than 5k a year is sitting, a lot.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
Not surprised about the injectors. What dealership are you working with. If its a good shop, might as well let us know!
Steve Thomas, but they are so far from you that they might as well be in Mars.

They are quite a drive for me from the Westside, but if they keep this up, I don't mind taking a scenic drive up PCH to go have them work on my car, with my V1 on full alert, of couse.

As you know, West LA BMW dealers are dbags. And the only indie worth anything on the Westside has so much business that he doesn't really care to do this job, even though the job is over 2K.

Did I mention that I get regular email updates from my service guy at Steve Thomas?

I mean, things that we as professionals do at work that we should be able to expect from ALL dealers, yet almost no one does it.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:35 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Good to know there is a solid dealership in the LA area. My service team actually drives my personal sales. Makes all the difference...

Old 06-16-2011, 03:22 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brobbins016
Good to know there is a solid dealership in the LA area. My service team actually drives my personal sales. Makes all the difference...
That's the key to returning customers!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:35 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Must not let the wife see this thread.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by Alex
Must not let the wife see this thread.
Have you had a chance to post on m5board and ask people for a good shop in your area that can handle the E39 M5?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
I will look into it.

Quick Reply: Garage queen problems