Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Z3M Coupe Semi-Restoration ! Progress with PICS !

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Clubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond repute
Post Z3M Coupe Semi-Restoration ! Progress with PICS !

Hello Everyone,

Since It has been almost a month I got my MC, I could finally find time and funds to start my resurrection with the car. The car wasn't in bad shape to begin with but since I am a perfectionist and mean to hold on to this beauty for long years, I thought I should restore her to as new as possible.

Here is the to do list: ( In no particular order )

Installation of all the parts
Fix the jumping CD changer and repair the headunit display with missing pixels
Painting the OEM wheels in Chrome Shadow color.
Cat. delete for rasping sound.
Reupholstering the steering wheel, gearbox tunnel, hand brake, floor mats (borders)
Replacing all the fluids (engine,trans.,diff.,brake etc.)
General maintenance (filters,spark plugs, bushings, hoses etc.)
Repainting side M grills
Sorting out all the noises coming from inside the car
Cleaning and polishing all the metal bits here and there

and of course some things which we will find out along the way,

so here we go, wish me luck fellas

A week after I got her, I ordered all the required parts and pieces which were determined by me and my mechanic after careful inspection, inside out.

Before I dropped her to my mechanic for the overhaul, I got my spare BBS set in the trunk so she would have some wheel while the OEM wheels get painted to move around the shop,

I love coupe, 3 wheels in the boot

Side grill with poor painting from PO, you can see how the borders have crossed and etc.

Worn M emblem,

Worn and decolored pieces,

Speaker cover,

AC button

shiny steering wheel, hand brake etc.

Deformed floor mats and disgusting racer boy pedal set,

poor painted wheels,

Wrong concave M boot badge,

Here are the fist batch of parts,

Old 04-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Great project! I look forward to seeing it completed. You are amassing quite the M collection.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Clubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
Great project! I look forward to seeing it completed. You are amassing quite the M collection.
Thanks Kevin. It will be done in a few weeks ! Stay tuned

Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Talking

Next day, I went to check out the progress at the shop,

Old worn, torn and damaged parts,

Replaced with new items,

New diff mount,

After checking out the car, I went to see my OEM wheels which are to be painted chrome shadow, they were stripped out of their tires and waiting.

Next was removing the exhaust to have the catalytic converters replaced with straight pipes. I am not a fart can lover but the OEM setup is way too quiet. Besides, I love the rasp and my exhaust guy said this would help it,

Just when we took out the exhaust and diff, we realized a crack in the differantial mount which was unexpected but good to notice early before anything happened.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:00 PM
TS BMW Forums
mtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to see she's shaping up to your liking buddy! Can't wait to see her all put together, clean and detailed. Big fan of your M Coupe - as you know. Nice "spare" BBS wheels.

This exhaust set up is pretty nice. Deep grow, but still some rasp. Not too loud - not too quiet.

YouTube - 2002 Z3 M Coupe s54 Exhaust Clip

Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice project bro! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:53 AM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
One of my favorite BMWs. Good luck with everything man.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:20 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by mtechnik
Glad to see she's shaping up to your liking buddy! Can't wait to see her all put together, clean and detailed. Big fan of your M Coupe - as you know. Nice "spare" BBS wheels.

This exhaust set up is pretty nice. Deep grow, but still some rasp. Not too loud - not too quiet.

YouTube - 2002 Z3 M Coupe s54 Exhaust Clip
Thanks a lot Misha, I'm glad you like my progress. I saw that video but my car is S50 not S54 so it doesn't fit, besides it is a little too common note, I like distinctive M rasp. We'll see how cat delete will turn out.
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Very nice project bro! Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Thanks. Keep watching.
Originally Posted by PorscheFanatic
One of my favorite BMWs. Good luck with everything man.
Thanks Felix. The shoe has fans everywhere

Old 04-04-2011, 04:21 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
After diagnosing the mount crack , we wanted to check the boot floor for the infamous subframe damage and luckily, there was none.

While we were waiting for welder to start, I thought it was time for me to get my hands dirty for some DIY action.
Since we had the exhaust out, I started by cleaning the tips. I used ALCON metal polish, a wire brush and lots of caliper cleaner.

Before,

Cleaning the inside with wire brush,

better,

then after 4 rounds of polish and lots of elbow grease later,

here it is with untouched tips,

both cleaned and polished,

When I discovered that this metal polish thing worked, I decided to give a try at the engine bay.
First was the oil filter cover, those wax residues and faded finish bothered me every time I opened the bonnet.

I removed the cap,

and after a bit of magic,

Next, the infamous vanos,

before,

during,

after,

then some other clips and metal bolts,

After 2 hours of rubbing and polishing, I was done.
Next I went to see how the wheels were doing.

My painter started the sanding which takes incredibly long thanks to the horrible repaint the OP did.

all clean now,

Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond repute
I absolutely love threads like this! Giving a used car new life and putting it back to pristine condition! Fantastic stuff!

Quick Reply: Z3M Coupe Semi-Restoration ! Progress with PICS !