Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

No BMW M1. Probably a 135is Instead - Geneva Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 05:39 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Randy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
BMW has not put LSD's in their non M cars since the lat e90's.

The marketing droids don't want LSD equipped sporty regular BMW's to erode M car market share.

Lame, considering that my E30 325is has an LSD.
Perhaps they know best, but would a potential M customer really consider a non-M car because of the LSD?

Hmmmmmm.... maybe a fraction of a percent would be swayed to a 335i over an M3?

Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Unless they made some super duper dramatic crazy ass improvement, it is a POS ghetto rig compares to a real LSD.

Just ask all the poor souls who track their E46, E90 regular 3's.

It sucks.
Did a little research...

My understanding is none of the current, or former standard 3 series cars had the E differential. Rather, it is in the 135i, and stated (by BMW) to be in the new 335is.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M5Kid
Did a little research...

My understanding is none of the current, or former standard 3 series cars had the E differential. Rather, it is in the 135i, and stated (by BMW) to be in the new 335is.
If they are using braking to mimic LSD, then it is no better than the ABD in the E46 and E90.

I still hang on the BMW boards, so it will be interesting to see if these 3 series guys still install a real LSD or if they are satistied with this.

My guess is they will still be installing a real LSD.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Teamspeed Member
GT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud of
If they are using braking to mimic LSD, then it is no better than the ABD in the E46 and E90.

I still hang on the BMW boards, so it will be interesting to see if these 3 series guys still install a real LSD or if they are satistied with this.

My guess is they will still be installing a real LSD.
Alot of the 335 guys end up installing the Quaife LSD.

Has anyone even done an M3 v8 swap into the 135i yet? If no, it should be done

Old 03-03-2010, 04:29 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Nicke has a reputation beyond reputeNicke has a reputation beyond reputeNicke has a reputation beyond reputeNicke has a reputation beyond reputeNicke has a reputation beyond reputeNicke has a reputation beyond reputeNicke has a reputation beyond reputeNicke has a reputation beyond reputeNicke has a reputation beyond reputeNicke has a reputation beyond reputeNicke has a reputation beyond repute
But it is much better. Lets say this way, a friend of mine has previously swapped an LSD to his Beemers, but now in his 135 he didn't. Not because it is as good as a proper LSD, but because the difference is too small to invest the dollars. It's proper two blacklines allover the place anywhere, anytime. Don't get me wrong, I am a defintive LSD supporter but the 135 ediff is suprisingly good.

One reason behind the non-m (135/335) not having LDS is ofocurse they would be too close on track times to the M. Same reason as the Boxster and Cyaman dont have LSD. And unfortunately LSD is a extra equipment on AMG's, still dont get that....

Old 03-05-2010, 10:25 AM
TS BMW Forums
mtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond repute
Post Report: BMW M1 not happening, look for 135is instead

The rumormill has been buzzing lately about a possible M-badged version of the lovely BMW 1 Series. (We still have a hard time calling it M1, since that name has long been reserved for a far more illustrious creation.) A new report from Inside Line, however, reveals that while a 1 Series-based M1 isn't in the cards, we can look forward to seeing a hotted-up 135is, similar to the Z4 sDrive35is and 335is that have just recently been introduced.

Expect the 135is to use the boosted version of BMW's N54 twin-turbo six found in the Z4 and 3 Series variants. This means we can expect total output numbers around the 320 horsepower and 332 pound-feet mark, with an overboost mode that delivers up to 370 lb-ft for brief periods of time. Additionally, a more aggressively tuned suspension will be on hand, improving the coupe's overall dynamics. It might not be as exciting as what a full-bore M1 could be, but we aren't complaining, especially since we're such big fans of the current 135i as is.

So, why not do an M1? Much like the problem Porsche faces with the Cayman and the 911, a too-good 1 Series could potentially overthrow the grandaddy M3, and BMW certainly wouldn't want that. Still, we're glad that BMW is committed to producing a more potent 1 Series and are eagerly awaiting our first drive.

Report: BMW M1 not happening, look for 135is instead — Autoblog

Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
joshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond repute
this is unbelievable why would bmw not make a m1??? it would easily be a best seller makes NO sense at all