Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

2008 M5 Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
Didn't seem, Travis it was - from it's inception it was designed to only have the SMG, IIRC after they saw a demand for the manual gear box only then did they bother.
So many e39 M5 owners complained that BMW eventually announced they'd offer a 6MT option. My pops was a member of those who couldn't get used to the SMG in an M5.

The 6MT in the e60 M5 does work well, just if you buy one don't drive an example with a SMG.

Originally Posted by U Boat Commander
Thoughts on color? I actually like the white . . . even though that's usually a gay man's car color.
WATCH IT THERE!!! I'd look for Le Mans Blue, I love that color and would have gotten it on my e92M if it were available.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
The 6MT in the e60 M5 does work well, just if you buy one don't drive an example with a SMG.
Why do you say that? Because I would like the SMG more?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
Also any thoughts on M5 vs. M6? I don't really need four doors. It's not like I have kids. Do the two cars perform equally?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
No Steve, the M6 is quicker all around - it's lighter.

I can't imagine you driving a white one tbh.

I am unsure whether i could go for white on the M3, i think silverstone grey is the nicest color with brown / red interior.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
No Steve, the M6 is quicker all around - it's lighter.
The weight difference is 100lbs. Hard to believe that makes a significant difference.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
I have read loads of reviews - the M6 is faster. Check out M5board for loads of vids and threads discussing the two cars.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute
M6 is a hair faster and that is it... that said, I've driven both and the M6 does feel a bit more sporty....

That said, I still would go for an M5 over an M6.... there is just something I love about the M5 that the M6 lacks.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, I am 5'3", below the waist.
Originally Posted by M5Kid
That would be a nice combination.
WTF was up with this little exchange btw?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Why do you say that? Because I would like the SMG more?
I must have misread, I thought you said in an earlier post that you were leaning toward a manual. I just think that the e60 M5 was originally designed for the SMG only and you can really tell when driving the manual. Having said that I would go with the manual b/c that just how I am.

As far as the M6/M5 debate, I personally feel that the M6 is pointless due to how heavy the car is (sorry M6 owners, just my opinion). One of the reasons I love the M5 is that it has unbelievable performance in a package that can comfortably sit four people. I'm also not really much for the looks of the M6, while the M5 is a very good looking car IMO.
I am unsure whether i could go for white on the M3, i think silverstone grey is the nicest color with brown / red interior.
I wouldn't get a white M3 if I were in your shoes, they're everwhere.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
On the road I'd be surprised if you noticed a big difference - the M5 is already terrificly competent. Plus, I actually prefer the look of an M5 over an M6.

I've driven both the 6-speed and SMG M5. My biggest complaint about the 6-speed box was the clutch, it's light and doesn't provide the feel or confidence of its predecessor. Plus, with the SMG, it's easier to keep the car in its ideal rev range - the V10 really isn't all that exciting in the lower end.

Color wise I like Space Gray and Interlagos Blue. Nothing wrong with Alpine White either.

Quick Reply: 2008 M5 Question