Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

New M3 Dudes. Quick Question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009 | 07:46 PM
|
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
New M3 Dudes. Quick Question.

Are you going through roughly 1ltr of oil every 2months ( give or take a few weeks ) ?

And do you get a knocking and woooring sound from the rear at slow u-turn speeds?

Last edited by vtgts300kw; 02-08-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2009 | 08:46 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Consuming oil is normal. And I do get some noise from the rear end, but mainly when the car is cold.

Old 02-08-2009 | 08:50 PM
|
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ara
Consuming oil is normal. And I do get some noise from the rear end, but mainly when the car is cold.
Yeah they said it was normal. Bit skeptical though.

The knocking happens cold or hot. They also said that was normal.

Old 02-08-2009 | 11:41 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
rfedele is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never noticed any sounds. I have 3800 miles since the 1200 mile break in was done and zero oil loss.

Old 02-09-2009 | 10:23 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Radiation Joe is an unknown quantity at this point
The sound from the rear end is the limited slip unit in the diff. Personally, I would live with it, however, if you complain to your dealer, they will add friction modifier to the differential fluid and quiet it down. This will reduce the effectiveness of the limited slip unit, slightly, which is why I would leave it alone. The sound may go away with time on it's own.

Old 02-09-2009 | 08:14 PM
|
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe
The sound from the rear end is the limited slip unit in the diff. Personally, I would live with it, however, if you complain to your dealer, they will add friction modifier to the differential fluid and quiet it down. This will reduce the effectiveness of the limited slip unit, slightly, which is why I would leave it alone. The sound may go away with time on it's own.
Yeah that's what they said. Isn't bothersome, just slightly disconcerting more than anything. Cars got about 15,000 on the clock i think, definitely hasn't gone away or improved.

Had to take it to the dealer 2x yesterday, first time for the oil top up, which upon driving away and looking at the gauge, it hadn't moved. So i was a bit worried about putting the windscreen wipers on, because god knows where he put the oil.

Then went back in the arvo to get it topped up, only to have them over fill it, and then when they got it up on the lift to drain some out, didnt stop it in time and ended up draining the whole lot.

The explanation for the oil consumption was the high rev nature of the engine. Gotta get more oil in there to lube it up i guess.

Also went and saw the facelift 3 series ( tweaks to the lights and the new i-drive, which is fantastic! ) and the new 7-series. Holy shit, what an incredible looking car. It has so much prescense. Easily the best in its segment.