Notices
Japanese Speed Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA, 370Z, NSX, Supra, & More Discussion Forum

Thoughts on 2011 STI Sedan - Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Thoughts on 2011 STI Sedan - Owners?

Can any owners shed some light on their thoughts?

I picked up a 2011 E93 M3 Convertible at the end of November. Excellent car. I'm struggling this winter with all of the snow here in the Northeast, so I have been looking at AWD cars less than $40k. Seems like the STI is going to be the most bang for your buck, but I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has any

Previously, before the M3, I had a Mini S. I might go look at the STI this weekend, but how is the interior quality? One of my biggest complaints with the Mini was rattling due to the use of cheaper products on the interior.

How is daily drivability? How is the car in the snow? Any big issues to know about before looking this weekend?

Any direction would be great! Thanks!

-K

Old 01-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
I used to have an 07 MCS as well. Had a brief (and horrible) interlude with an Audi A4 Avant, and just got the STi about a month ago. Very good DD. Functional (four doors, trunk with folding back seats), sporty, and it's a got a bitchin' massive wing!

I say very good but not great solely because of the pretty craptastic gas mileage on these things. For a small 4 door sedan, I'm only getting about 20-21 mpg on 95% highway driving. Obviously ymmv depending on your driving style and city/highway mix.

Interior quality as you may expect from a midrange Japanese vehicle. Lots of plastic. Seats are pretty darn good (base model alcantara versions). At least the STi has bluetooth and iPod functionality. Wish I could say the same for my cost-3-times-as-much P-car

I live in the desert, so can't speak about snow

Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Teamspeed Member
clou will become famous soon enoughclou will become famous soon enoughclou will become famous soon enoughclou will become famous soon enoughclou will become famous soon enoughclou will become famous soon enoughclou will become famous soon enoughclou will become famous soon enoughclou will become famous soon enoughclou will become famous soon enough
Though I haven't had a car quite like an M3 yet, I've DD'd the following rwd cars in my sig and the STI has been the best so far in terms of winter driving. The leather interior isn't offered in Canada, but the alcantara seats are better than I thought they'd be. The sound system leaves a lot to be desired and there is a lot of plastic but these things don't really bother me so much because I have too much fun driving the car . As bonehead stated, it does come stock with BT and iPod integration which is nice.

IMO, it definitely is the best bang for buck awd car on the market right now. I bought the STI over the 2011 S4 and 335xi. Those cars cost about 20k more in Canada, but just don't drive the same as an STI. My only real gripe about this car is that the steering is really light, but that seems to be a general trait of Japanese cars.

edit: I still have the stock performance tires on my STI while the SLK had all seasons and the Lexus had winters. The STI still handles better in cold conditions.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud of
I've driven the 2011 WRX sedan, and that was a beast in itself. STI must be even better.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
i dd'd one of these years ago when it was first released in the states, fun car to a point but lots of understeer (necessitated a larger rear sway) and a generally vague helm. bpu mods didn't net much either (although it sounded excellent).

might as well check out an Evo X if you're in the market for this type of car. it's uglier but more fun to drive, will make more power more easily (if you plan to mod), and should be cheaper but im not certain. definitely is a much sharper steer, try them back to back and you will see what i mean.

one thing, Evo IX is a much better drivers car than either of these if you don't mind buying used.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Sti>evo.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:05 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JonA85
Sti>evo.
based on what? your wrx ownership?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Teamspeed Member
david9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enough
The new Golf R is a good option too but it's not out yet.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:26 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dktran31 is on a distinguished roadDktran31 is on a distinguished roadDktran31 is on a distinguished roadDktran31 is on a distinguished roadDktran31 is on a distinguished roadDktran31 is on a distinguished road
I think the 2011 STI is a beast. So glad that they finally have a sedan. I would still compare it to the Evo, go out and test drive the two. Either way you go, it'd be a great fun to drive DD! Gluck

Old 01-29-2011, 06:26 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!VulcanMotorClub You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Thanks for all of the insight guys.

Last night was another issue. Took my M3 to the office and took me an extra 15 minutes to get it into the garage due to a 1/2" of snow in front of the garage door. Definitely not a good winter car.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 2011 STI Sedan - Owners?