Notices
Japanese Speed Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA, 370Z, NSX, Supra, & More Discussion Forum

Thoughts on the 2010 Subaru WRX STI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Thoughts on the 2010 Subaru WRX STI?

Last car in consideration for the DD. Always wanted one.... With the sedan returning in '11, maybe the wrong time to fulfill that 'dream'. How is this thing to drive? Is the interior as plasticky as I think it is?

Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Just get the WRX. It's probably 99% of the experience for $10K less.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
barebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond repute
The new WRX will be better than the old STI is what i have herd

Old 04-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Just get the WRX. It's probably 99% of the experience for $10K less.
Yes, but even at $10K more, a new Scoobie is in my budget. Plus, the STI badge adds 100 hp, Yo!

Old 04-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
The only basic difference between to the WRX and STI is 6 speed over the 5 speed. Subie isn't coming out with the sedan soon enough, I may have to settle with the Evo X if I can't find an 06-07 STI.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Soooooo.....no love for the wagon?

Old 04-15-2010, 10:50 PM
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
Soooooo.....no love for the wagon?
Hatchback? Haha no, no love at all for those. I haven't driven them, but the looks are enough to keep me away.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by JonA85
Hatchback? Haha no, no love at all for those. I haven't driven them, but the looks are enough to keep me away.
Ok, aside from the looks. I was repulsed when I first saw it, but it's def grown on me. And it's definitely better than the EVO X. Yuck.

But how is it performance/reliability-wise?

Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
But how is it performance/reliability-wise?
Good question, I found some consumer reviews for you.
Disappointing

Written by: Ollie on 10/20/2009

Detailed Ratings
Overall Rating

Performance: 7 Fun-to-Drive: 7 Build Quality: 5
Comfort: 6 Interior Design: 6 Reliability: 8
Fuel Economy: 4 Exterior Design: 7

Vehicle

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Review

Just a huge disappointment. It's slow (watch as a BMW 3-series can almost out-run you, and a 135i actually can), it has more body roll than an average taxi (watch as everyone almost falls out of their seat when you go around a freeway on-ramp), it has more road noise than an eighteen wheeler, and there's more rattles than you'll find in an average day care center. Buy a WRX and save 10k. I completely regret buying my STI.

Favorite Features

The trunk. That just shows you how little there is about this car to praise.

Suggested Improvements

lackluster performance, interior build quality, car stereo needs fixing, Dunlop tires excel at nothing, paint job is cheap, shifter is too imprecise, seats with almost no lateral support, lackluster performance, etc. etc.

Not your neighbors subaru

Written by: firsttimer on 08/31/2009

Detailed Ratings
Overall Rating

Performance: 10 Fun-to-Drive: 10 Build Quality: 10
Comfort: 10 Interior Design: 9 Reliability: 10
Fuel Economy: 9 Exterior Design: 10

Vehicle

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Review

One month into ownership of my STI, and what a pleasure to drive. Driven hard in the S# mode it is quite the quick sports car, but move into the I mode and it is pleasantly sedate. Owned an E36 M3, 535xi, RX-7, Prelude over the years. This car the best combination of performance and practicality by far. Never considered the brand before, but glad I did. Love the ability to haul people and golf clubs, and the AWD will be important in the winter. While expensive for a Subaru, a great value. Never had so many people look twice before..the scarcity of the car keeps many wondering what it is.

Favorite Features

Exterior style, performance, comfort. I am 6'4" and I've a lot of room. Hatch makes rear seat roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Moonroof/sunroof would be nice. Needs heated seats. Offer all season tires as an OEM option. I will likely scrap my summer tires for all seasons when winter comes.

Pretty sweet car

Written by: j09sti on 07/29/2009

Detailed Ratings
Overall Rating

Performance: 9 Fun-to-Drive: 9 Build Quality: 9
Comfort: 8 Interior Design: 8 Reliability: 9
Fuel Economy: 7 Exterior Design: 9

Vehicle

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Nav, Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Review

This car is pretty awesome and gets a lot of stares. It drives smoothly and sounds great, especially the turbo. The price is okay, but I wasn't impressed. The tires are summer performance, I would have liked all- season. The interior is laid out nicely and is built with quality. Some of the carpet seems cheap and doesn't connect nicely with other parts of the interior, the steering wheel has a nice feel as well as other control surfaces. The exterior looks aggressive and confident. People try to race me all the time. The SI-Drive is pretty cool, I keep it in (I) most of the time for fuel efficiency. If you drive nicely it can get good gas mileage, but can also burn fuel quickly with turbo.

Favorite Features

Turbo, looks of exterior, appearance of the engine, SI-Drive, AWD, VDC, the horsepower, BBS rims, interior layout and quality, NAVI with lots of info on the vehicles status, many airbags, comfortable cabin, roomy and lots of storage, auto climate control, and 6 speed MT (feels solid).

Suggested Improvements

All-season tires, higher quality carpeting, less touchier clutch, a coupe or sedan version would be nice, lose some weight (lighter vehicle), heated side mirrors, remove the Warning screen on the NAVI, cheaper price, lower front bumper protection, capture net for the hood scoop, more fuel efficient.

It's been a blast for a year!

Written by: subiedoo on 07/25/2009

Detailed Ratings
Overall Rating

Performance: 10 Fun-to-Drive: 10 Build Quality: 8
Comfort: 8 Interior Design: 8 Reliability: 10
Fuel Economy: 9 Exterior Design: 9

Vehicle

Review

I bought last fall, drove through VT winter, amazing little beast. "Blam" passing people. MPG 22 this depends on where you live, stop & go traffic, driving habits, just try and keep ur foot out of it. Visibility good, except knowing curb local for parking, rolling into carwashes, (rims). Amazing space (5 dr hatch) you can fit a bike in there, or a Boxer and pug.

Favorite Features

Speed, agility, hatch, room seats fold down flat. Lumpy exterior design, nice.

Suggested Improvements

Shifting is clunky, clumsy. Passenger seat is funky, u sit lower then driver? thicker paint? Talk about easy to chip and scratch. Mesh grill in head scoop. How about a better growl in exhaust - why do we have to spend more for a complete package?

2009 WRX STI - Best car I've ever owned!

Written by: JD1 on 06/17/2009

Detailed Ratings
Overall Rating

Comfort: 10 Interior Design: 10 Reliability: 10
Fuel Economy: 8 Exterior Design: 10

Vehicle

Review

I needed a car that had enough room for two small children (occasionally), AWD for the snow (no snow plows or salt trucks here in the Pacific NW), and I wanted a car that would have great performance (but economical enough for daily commute). I've had this car for 3 months, and I couldn't be more pleased. It meets all my needs (though not tried in snow yet). I keep it in the "Sport" setting, and average 21mpg in mixed driving conditions. Not a single problem with the car. A few additional costs: insurance went up $200/yr and car requires 92 octane fuel, but it's money well spent. Nicely balanced suspension (not too stiff, not too soft). The STI is a very high quality vehicle in and out.

Favorite Features

Acceleration/cornering outstanding! The sound of the turbo winding up just soothes my soul... Though the car is a performance beast, it is sedate enough in the "I" mode that my wife is comfortable driving the car around. Seats are very comfortable for a tall (6-1)driver. Get lots of compliments...

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats not an option in U.S. 2009 STI, but are available on Canadian 2009 STI (wish this had been an option). Some mud flaps would be nice. Gearbox a bit noisy in 2nd gear when decelerating. Front passenger seat should have same seat controls as the driver's seat. Otherwise, no complaints.

'09 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

Written by: wrx STI on 06/11/2009

Detailed Ratings
Overall Rating

Performance: 9 Fun-to-Drive: 10 Build Quality: 9
Comfort: 8 Interior Design: 9 Reliability: 10
Fuel Economy: 6 Exterior Design: 8

Vehicle

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Nav, Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Review

This car gets looks and not just a glance, a full on stare from people as I drive by. It's a pretty cool feeling. The car is loaded with features and amenities. AWD, 305 hp, airbags, and safety and convenience features are numerous. If you're looking for safety and power with AWD this is the car for you. It can be expensive if you add features.

Favorite Features

Car locator, navigation/ GPS, over performance and power, AWD, general design, BBS rims, lots of storage space/cargo room, airbags, lights, the whole car!

Suggested Improvements

Would definitely consider a sedan or coupe platform.

Report It
2009 STI

Written by: 09sti on 10/06/2008

Detailed Ratings
Overall Rating

Comfort: 10 Interior Design: 10 Reliability: 10
Fuel Economy: 8 Exterior Design: 10

Vehicle

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Review

This car has it all. With the back seat down, and they go flat, surfboards and snowboards fit perfect. Making it a perfect two person surf or snow adventure, no chains either Looking over the build quality its quite nice and I'm impressed. The ride is quiet for the most part, little or no rattles. The performance is amazing, to accel as you go through those long half circle off or on ramps, the car feels like its on rails. It's so quick, hitting 80 mph in about 5 second. The stereo, not the best, but not to bad either. Mine has the six CD changer with MP3 compatibility, which equals about 1020 songs on tap, not bad! Turn the bass all negative, mids and treble all up, plus my SUB ='s : )

Favorite Features

Big brembo brakes, engine of the year award, BBS rims, nice seats, the 6 speed gear box and tranny, the looks, the ride, spark silver, the power, the interior especially at night, cold ac, the quad exhaust, the solid feel as you drive. This car is stealth big time! This car looks in person, sexy.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Aside from that 1st review, largely positive.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the 2010 Subaru WRX STI?