Notices
Japanese Speed Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA, 370Z, NSX, Supra, & More Discussion Forum

Nissan GT-R: Evo Car of the Decade

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:52 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Nissan GT-R: Evo Car of the Decade

"So, the votes have been counted. After a week (and a bit) of voting on what you consider to be the best, most desirable and most important car of the last ten years, you’ve picked…. The Nissan GT-R.

A wise choice, and one we’d not disagree with. The way it’s advanced the performance car game and its ability to demolish cars two or three times its price is nothing short of astonishing.

Sadly, though, there’s reason to believe the vote was swung in the Nissan’s favour (and the second-place Vauxhall VX220’s) by a brace of enthusiastic owners’ forums. The rest of the contenders were left languishing as the Japanese giant and the Griffin-badged sports car battled it out in a distinctly two-horse race.

So to restore the balance (vaguely) we had a straw poll round the office to pick our winner, with ten of evo’s top scribblers picking their favourite from the final ten cars (view them here) to determine the office winner.

Chris Harris agrees with the Nissan GT-R, while Richard Porter and Ollie Marriage both shouted for the Lamborghini Murcielago SV. ‘Because it’s daft, because it’s unashamed; because it’s glorious, because it has the best engine ever, because of the way it looks, because it drives better than it has any right to’, said Ollie. ‘It may be the last of the truly nutty big Lamborghinis. As such, it'll become something that will cause us to look back on the 2000s with dewy eyed fondness’ reckons Porter.

Neither the GT-R or LP670-4 can hold off the inevitable landslide from one car though. Yep, it’s the Porsche 911 GT3 RS, aka Kermit, our eCoty 2007 winner.

Richard Meaden – ‘even by my partisan standards the 997 GT3 RS has left a lasting impression. I had some of my best drives ever in the green monster during 2007, both on road and track. Like the rest of the world, I'm in awe of the GT-R, and the LP670 SV defines the word 'supercar' more completely than anything since the F40, but of all the cars I was jammy enough to drive throughout the Noughties the RS was - and remains - the closest to my idea of the perfect modern drivers' car.’

Ian Eveleigh – ‘GT3 RS. Because if you bought any other car on the list you just know that one day you’d be driving it and you’d find yourself thinking, ‘I’d enjoy this road a lot more in a GT3 RS...’ Even if you had a VX220.’

New ed Nick Trott – ‘the car I most desire among these is the GT3 RS. It’s not the best (GT-R), nor is it the most impressive achievement (again, GT-R) but of all the cars in this list it’s the one I’d I’d tip my last gallon of fuel into.’

And the last word goes to oversteer-meister John Barker – ‘the 997 GT3 RS would be my everyday, never sell it, from here to eternity choice. The best 911 I've ever driven; perfectly imperfect.’"

Source - evo Car of the Decade | Car News | Performance Cars | evo

Old 01-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
Can't argue with that, certainly had a huge impact. Porsche usually performs as good or better than higher hp competitiors. That is exactly what Nissan went out to do, produce a car with the same hp, engine layout and outperform the tt. The track numbers of the much heavier Godzilla are just amazing ... still I'd rather have my tt.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
I understand the GTR winning, but I thought a car like the Gallardo should've won since it was something brand new and game changing(and this is coming from a Ferrari fan!) with much less controversy about its performance.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Ced
Official CED
Ced has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond repute
^ Yea but the Gallardo costs nearly 3 times the GTR.

value won in this test!
Had this car costed $100K or more, its performance figures would've seemed normal and expected. But for $75K, you can't beat it.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
The Veyron should've won. It is/was a game changer on so many levels. No question about it, imo.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
^It wasn't even Octane's choice. It was third behind the Vantage V12 and Conti GT.

However, I agree with EVO on this one, GT-R wins it for me. Though I'm still bitter about the Evora taking ECOTY.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Josh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
The Veyron should've won. It is/was a game changer on so many levels. No question about it, imo.
The Veyron was a statement, but it did very little to motivate the core of automakers to try and raise the bar of competition. There is no market for a 2 million dollar supercar. The GT-R rattled the cages of every significant auto marker producing a performance oriented vehicle, and they did it with a product that costs much less than the competition. The GT-R's introduction to the world was like dropping an atomic bomb, I've never seen anything like it, from praise to criticism.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
I have to agree with the GT-R winning. But what a joke the Vauxhall VX220 in 2nd? No in my mind

Old 01-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Josh
The Veyron was a statement, but it did very little to motivate the core of automakers to try and raise the bar of competition. There is no market for a 2 million dollar supercar. The GT-R rattled the cages of every significant auto marker producing a performance oriented vehicle, and they did it with a product that costs much less than the competition. The GT-R's introduction to the world was like dropping an atomic bomb, I've never seen anything like it, from praise to criticism.

Funny that you should compare a Japanese car's introduction to the dropping of an atom bomb.

GTR definitely wins it for me. I haven't been a car guy for the entire decade (i'm only 21) but for the past 3 or 4 years I've followed new and old pretty closely and nothing compares to everything the GTR has accomplished.