Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walker of fast and furious

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Teamspeed Member
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
The fact of the matter, even though the CGT is my favorite super Porsche ever, sounds like it pays in both speed and safe control to buy a 918. Too bad it's double the cost.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:30 AM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SpeedRob
There appears to be the posssibility of a mechanical failure, perhaps in the steering system. Until the truth is know I suggest we keep speculation to a minimum.
I would love to see that. I will give you 72 hours. And it would be possibility. Drop the s.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
St_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SpeedRob
There appears to be the posssibility of a mechanical failure, perhaps in the steering system. Until the truth is know I suggest we keep speculation to a minimum.
I believe that this is not accurate. This is wrong speculation. In any case we can't blame the car or Porsche for this.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
Truly a tragedy for all of the families and my heart goes out to them...they are forever changed as a result. From what I understand, these were two quality guys who gave back a lot in charity and their time. They should be remembered for that.

I haven't really felt the need to comment until now since its all speculation, but something caught my eye this morning that I think is more than significant. Check out this video clip...

Pause the clip at 0.24 and watch the segment from 0.24 to 0.29. Freeze it at 0.29 and take a look at the R rear tire. It looks quite worn and looks like a slick. The sidewall shows accumulation at the edges of melted rubber indicated a tire placed under extreme heat generating operation. Could it explain the donut skid marks in the road who knows.

What I do know as an owner of a CGT is that tire condition is crucial to its handling and stability. I've driven mine 12700 miles now and have a decent appreciation for its handling characteristics. I absolutely love this car. To me, its the Porsche equivalent to the F40 in terms of analog, raw appeal. It takes an effort to drive well but is so rewarding.

My ego is comfortable with driving at 6/7 10ths and I'll let the pros explore beyond that. I do know that a CGT on worn tires feels like its on ice. A close friend of mine who also owns a CGT and is a champion race car driver once advised me to keep fresh tires on the CGT, especially if spirited driving is planned.

Here is a still shot of the R rear tire, again reportedly minutes before the tragic drive, taken from the clip . You be the judge of its condition...

Name:  IMG_0571.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  149.4 KB

Old 12-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Leadfoot09 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Leadfoot09 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Leadfoot09 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Leadfoot09 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Leadfoot09 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Leadfoot09 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Leadfoot09 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Leadfoot09 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Leadfoot09 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Leadfoot09 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Leadfoot09 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Very valid points RufMD. As a fellow owner I couldn't agree more. And that rear tire does look suspect at best. The new NO spec PSS's transform the car into a much more predictable proposition in my personal experience. Probably the best overall car based on driving experience I've owned....

Old 12-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
hlbeckley is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 12-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dieter.manero is on a distinguished roaddieter.manero is on a distinguished roaddieter.manero is on a distinguished roaddieter.manero is on a distinguished roaddieter.manero is on a distinguished roaddieter.manero is on a distinguished road
From what I recently read, they were only going 45 in a 40mph zone, so it had to have been a mechanical failure. Maybe a all of a sudden accelaration or somethign along those lines.

I can not belive that some moron supposably witnessed a second car impling that they were drag racing. Probably some woman no less with a vendetta.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Teamspeed Member
LMBZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeLMBZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeLMBZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeLMBZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeLMBZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeLMBZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeLMBZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeLMBZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeLMBZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeLMBZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeLMBZ06 has a reputation beyond repute
Many prayers for the 2 men and their families. Very tragic. For those of you that own a CGT, how much differently do they "respond" under throttle versus a traditional sports car, ie Corvette ? Does a mid-engine car become that much harder to "rein in" in an out of control slide ?

Old 12-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RufMD
Truly a tragedy for all of the families and my heart goes out to them...they are forever changed as a result. From what I understand, these were two quality guys who gave back a lot in charity and their time. They should be remembered for that.

I haven't really felt the need to comment until now since its all speculation, but something caught my eye this morning that I think is more than significant. Check out this video clip...

R.I.P Paul Walker Crash Dead NEW FOOTAGE Fast & Furious! - YouTube

Pause the clip at 0.24 and watch the segment from 0.24 to 0.29. Freeze it at 0.29 and take a look at the R rear tire. It looks quite worn and looks like a slick. The sidewall shows accumulation at the edges of melted rubber indicated a tire placed under extreme heat generating operation. Could it explain the donut skid marks in the road who knows.

What I do know as an owner of a CGT is that tire condition is crucial to its handling and stability. I've driven mine 12700 miles now and have a decent appreciation for its handling characteristics. I absolutely love this car. To me, its the Porsche equivalent to the F40 in terms of analog, raw appeal. It takes an effort to drive well but is so rewarding.

My ego is comfortable with driving at 6/7 10ths and I'll let the pros explore beyond that. I do know that a CGT on worn tires feels like its on ice. A close friend of mine who also owns a CGT and is a champion race car driver once advised me to keep fresh tires on the CGT, especially if spirited driving is planned.

Here is a still shot of the R rear tire, again reportedly minutes before the tragic drive, taken from the clip . You be the judge of its condition...

Hello RufMD,

thank you for your valuable insights. First, this is a real tragedy - for the families. It reminds me a bit of the James Dean story..

Anyway, your point and hint about the tire is probably one of the reasons...but I would doubt that the car under normal defensive street driving (despite worn tires) would spin or whatever. I (unfortunately) still have to believe that this accident happened at very high speed and why does a 400k Supercar drive around with such worn tires?

Time will tell but it all shows how careful we should be..

Old 12-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dieter.manero
From what I recently read, they were only going 45 in a 40mph zone, so it had to have been a mechanical failure. Maybe a all of a sudden accelaration or somethign along those lines.

I can not belive that some moron supposably witnessed a second car impling that they were drag racing. Probably some woman no less with a vendetta.
oh boy, are you serious, a woman with a vendetta, you have brought stupidity to a new height