Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 960/961 - Likely Engines, Dream Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
If the early buzz regarding the 991 GT2 proves to be true and Porsche does indeed neuter it so that it will not be faster/better than anything priced above it; then my only hope for the brand lies in the 960/961. Lets also hope that Porsche will find a way to differentiate the tub/chassis from that & re: sharing it with the upcoming Gallardo/R8 replacement. Might as well ask if you want to buy the Chevelle, Buick Skylark, or Oldsmobile 442...just slightly different bits & bodypanels.

Oh, and keep the beancounters away from this car. Please.

Time will tell soon enough if chasing that 200K sales target for Porsche is becoming more important than their marketing/history.

That being said, if it ends up with the twin turbo V8 from the Panamera, or the flat six from the 911 then I'll be putting my future money elsewhere. As I have stated before in other forums, carmakers need to find a way to focus on the engine as the heart & soul of their halo(ish) models. And FIGHT the f**king global legislation and CO2 BS. Electric for the daily beaters, fine. These cars? Hell no. When they go full electric, I don't care if they can do a sub 3-second 'Ring time. I'm out.

The new 458 MC is expected to have over 600hp from it's NA 4.5 V8, with a redline of 9300rpm. Notice how much more attention that the 991 GT3 is getting than the TT/S? It aint just the looks. That is because the engine in the new GT3 is at least somewhat "special" and not a hopped-up unit from a "base" model.

Sorry, but if it isn't a newly-developed or already existing motorsport hardend engine like the 4.6 of the Spyder/918 or a new Flat 8, what will it be? A Porsche MP4-12C. Only the Recaro unit in the 12C is better than the Panny V8. Probably.

End rant.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zeus
If the early buzz regarding the 991 GT2 proves to be true and Porsche does indeed neuter it so that it will not be faster/better than anything priced above it; then my only hope for the brand lies in the 960/961. Lets also hope that Porsche will find a way to differentiate the tub/chassis from that & re: sharing it with the upcoming Gallardo/R8 replacement. Might as well ask if you want to buy the Chevelle, Buick Skylark, or Oldsmobile 442...just slightly different bits & bodypanels.

Oh, and keep the beancounters away from this car. Please.

Time will tell soon enough if chasing that 200K sales target for Porsche is becoming more important than their marketing/history.

That being said, if it ends up with the twin turbo V8 from the Panamera, or the flat six from the 911 then I'll be putting my future money elsewhere. As I have stated before in other forums, carmakers need to find a way to focus on the engine as the heart & soul of their halo(ish) models. And FIGHT the f**king global legislation and CO2 BS. Electric for the daily beaters, fine. These cars? Hell no. When they go full electric, I don't care if they can do a sub 3-second 'Ring time. I'm out.

The new 458 MC is expected to have over 600hp from it's NA 4.5 V8, with a redline of 9300rpm. Notice how much more attention that the 991 GT3 is getting than the TT/S? It aint just the looks. That is because the engine in the new GT3 is at least somewhat "special" and not a hopped-up unit from a "base" model.

Sorry, but if it isn't a newly-developed or already existing motorsport hardend engine like the 4.6 of the Spyder/918 or a new Flat 8, what will it be? A Porsche MP4-12C. Only the Recaro unit in the 12C is better than the Panny V8. Probably.

End rant.
Very good points. My gripe with a plain jane V8 is that it would essentially be the same exact thing as the 458 and MP4-12C. The R8 is a bit different in that it has a V10 and AWD, but then again, so does the Gallardo. Porsche really needs to give this car an all new engine that will set it apart and make it substantially different from its rivals.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Milanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche 960/961 will be constructed with engine from 918 (hybrid technology excluded). We will see that model as concept after 918 production process ends. If you read between lines you should know right time

Old 06-04-2013, 05:00 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Spyderman is on a distinguished roadSpyderman is on a distinguished road
If this is true, then it is very good news!