Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 918 Spyder Laps The Ring In 7 minutes, 14 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
JROD9496 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not blown away with the final results, but this makes me wonder even more about the future lap times of the F70 and P1.

-Jared

Old 09-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
I believe the Carrera GT's 'ring time is 7:28. And 7:14 is an astonishing time for a car like the 918 with all of it's technology on board. Even though that's a 14 second decrease over the Carrera GT's time, I'd still take the Carrera GT.

Last edited by Carrera; 09-19-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO this is the "problem". the CGT was a) put together from leftover motorsports components (ok, an engine) from a stillborn seires; and b) Porsche's first foray into the super rarefied air of vanity hypercars. it was NOT a tech exercise per se.

the 918 on the other hand IS a tech exercise, and one that embraces the future of responsible, economical sports cars. in that sense, the 918 is more the spiritual successor of the 959 (AWD, turbocharging, etc) than the CGT.

the 918's performance is inherently compromised by Porsche having/wanting to use it as a test bed for new technology which clearly has a long way to go. that it managed the time it did is a testament to Porsche's engineers. but very safe to say if they wanted to make a take-no-prisoners performance oriented hypercar, it would be way faster than the 918, and probably not have all that heavy hybrid tech.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hesperus
IMHO this is the "problem". the CGT was a) put together from leftover motorsports components (ok, an engine) from a stillborn seires; and b) Porsche's first foray into the super rarefied air of vanity hypercars. it was NOT a tech exercise per se.

the 918 on the other hand IS a tech exercise, and one that embraces the future of responsible, economical sports cars. in that sense, the 918 is more the spiritual successor of the 959 (AWD, turbocharging, etc) than the CGT.

the 918's performance is inherently compromised by Porsche having/wanting to use it as a test bed for new technology which clearly has a long way to go. that it managed the time it did is a testament to Porsche's engineers. but very safe to say if they wanted to make a take-no-prisoners performance oriented hypercar, it would be way faster than the 918, and probably not have all that heavy hybrid tech.
You say the Carrera GT is made from leftover motorsports parts, but only cite the engine; the same thing could be said about the 918 when you put it like that (RS Spyder engine).

I do understand what you're saying though, and I agree with you. I personally think the majority of modern cars suck, and the 918 symbolizes a lot of things things that suck about modern cars, and turns it all into something awesome. It takes some really good engineers to do that!

Old 09-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alex12de has a reputation beyond reputeAlex12de has a reputation beyond reputeAlex12de has a reputation beyond reputeAlex12de has a reputation beyond reputeAlex12de has a reputation beyond reputeAlex12de has a reputation beyond reputeAlex12de has a reputation beyond reputeAlex12de has a reputation beyond reputeAlex12de has a reputation beyond reputeAlex12de has a reputation beyond reputeAlex12de has a reputation beyond repute
The 918 looks great but for me its main competitors the P1 and the F70 will destroy it, and dont see the point in spending 850k on this when you can have the P1 or the Huayra. But thats my opinion of course

Old 09-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Jblack4083 is an unknown quantity at this point
The more pictures I see of this car the more I want it. Too bad i can't have it.

This is the best looking car I have ever seen. It's up there with the Aston Martins.

Even little things like the exhaust being at the top, the optional Martini film, and the in dash electronics do it for me.

Last edited by Jblack4083; 09-19-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Lowell is an unknown quantity at this point
In my opinion, this:
Originally Posted by hesperus
+ the all the standard luxuries generally expected of a high-dollar present day car, as well as modern safety regulations, and all their associated weights slow the car down. 918 engineers said a long time ago the CGT -10 seconds on the Nurburgring was their goal. They've done that and more, all the while introducing an astounding level of technology and luxury to their supercar the CGT never could have considered. The 918 seems to be an altogether different exercise that Porsche set a bottom line performance improvement for; perhaps "because they can" and/or for good business.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:18 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
wurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to all
The engine in 918 has nothing in common with the RS Spyder engine.
Except the configuration.
Best, w

Old 09-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Lowell
In my opinion, this:

+ the all the standard luxuries generally expected of a high-dollar present day car, as well as modern safety regulations, and all their associated weights slow the car down. 918 engineers said a long time ago the CGT -10 seconds on the Nurburgring was their goal. They've done that and more, all the while introducing an astounding level of technology and luxury to their supercar the CGT never could have considered. The 918 seems to be an altogether different exercise that Porsche set a bottom line performance improvement for; perhaps "because they can" and/or for good business.
Nicely said. Porsche could have easily built a car that laps the 'ring in 7:14 seconds. Just make the 918 Spyder chassis and put a gigantic engine in it. However, the engineers managed to that, and a whole bunch more, and STILL get it around the 'ring in 7:14 seconds which is remarkable. Not to mention they managed to come from a concept car to a fully functioning production prototype that can go that fast in just a matter of 2 years.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:22 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, I expected more for $850k.

Quick Reply: Porsche 918 Spyder Laps The Ring In 7 minutes, 14 seconds