Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 GT2 Last Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Teamspeed Member
jpmc is on a distinguished roadjpmc is on a distinguished roadjpmc is on a distinguished roadjpmc is on a distinguished roadjpmc is on a distinguished roadjpmc is on a distinguished road
Good lord.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h-bo
Its an excellent question and one that I have trouble answering honestly.

The 993 is in every respect a lesser car than the 997 gt2. The 997 is so much faster, more predictable, safer, etc. It is the better car. It is incredible how much Porsche was able to do with just two new models.

If both cars were released today and were sitting side by side at a dealership at the same price I can't think that they would sell a single 993.

The thing that completely and utterly clouds my judgment is my love of the shape, the history of the air-cooled engine and how rare they are, I have only ever seen 2 others. Every time I walked into the garage I would see it and think "holy crap there is a 993gt2!!! I can't believe it!!!.... oh yeah... its yours you idiot".

It was impossible for me not to drive and think.. I am driving a 993gt2, which made every journey amazing for me.

So although the 997 is a better car, it somehow isn't.
I suggest this is the allure to many old cars... the looks the nostalgia etc..

Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
h-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox
Which pass is that?
col du Galibier.. finished with col de la bonette at around 5pm. Only person on the roads.

a little overkill for such small roads.. an exige would be awesome.

Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Teamspeed Member
Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Thanks for your post. It really is a beautiful and historically rich set of wheels. That kind of sentimentality really makes it hard to let go. But makes sense-- pass the joy on to someone else!

Old 09-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
hi H-bo,

Thanks for the answer..yes the 993 is a pure machine...as I expected, however, if Im not wrong the 993 was really more intended for the race track..whereas the 997 GT2 was directly for road use.

Thanks anyway for th pictures...we will miss your GT2 and hope that at least your 997 GT2 stays with you..

all the best,

Old 09-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
selcuk will become famous soon enoughselcuk will become famous soon enoughselcuk will become famous soon enoughselcuk will become famous soon enoughselcuk will become famous soon enoughselcuk will become famous soon enoughselcuk will become famous soon enoughselcuk will become famous soon enoughselcuk will become famous soon enough
As h-bo, Thanks God I've both of them & both are over 650 hp.
993 is the hardcore one.. I mean more direct,lighter,faster and serious. You have to be 100% concentrated while driving fast !!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:03 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h-bo
col du Galibier.. finished with col de la bonette at around 5pm. Only person on the roads.

a little overkill for such small roads.. an exige would be awesome.
So you essentially had one of the most epic drives, in perhaps the most epic car, on what looked to be day old asphalt with zero cars on the road? Sounds almost too perfect.

Did you drive from Geneva solely over these small passes? Was it doable in a day?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Teamspeed Member
Takumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really nice
H-Bo,

May I ask why are you auctioning off such beauty? What could be the possible replacement for it.

Wouldn't letting the 997 GT2 go would be a wiser choice then to let go that classic?

Old 09-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
h-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox
So you essentially had one of the most epic drives, in perhaps the most epic car, on what looked to be day old asphalt with zero cars on the road? Sounds almost too perfect.

Did you drive from Geneva solely over these small passes? Was it doable in a day?
It was the perfect day, which makes it easier to let go. The memory will always be there.

No I cheated a little. I was planning in splitting the day in two and staying overnight somewhere. Once I got on the motorway and got the adrenaline going I knew that I would never be able to stop. Was planning to go over col de l'iseran, past Val d'isere but decided against it. I have done the three passes a number of times and it is a 12 hour driving day. Instead drove straight to a43 towards modane, took a right over col du galibier. Then at guillestre towards col de la bonette, and then home to Vence. Think I left around 11 and arrived at around 730pm.

I know you like the south of France. col de la bonette is the highest road in Europe, usually deserted and about 1.5 hours in country from nice.

N.b. haven't forgiven you for canceling the teamspeed European tour a few years back.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Takumi
H-Bo,

May I ask why are you auctioning off such beauty? What could be the possible replacement for it.

Wouldn't letting the 997 GT2 go would be a wiser choice then to let go that classic?

I think that I am selling it because I don't think it is worth it's current market price. I love driving and for that price I think there a better cars around in terms of value for driving pleasure. As it becomes worth more and more I am enjoying it less and less.

Quick Reply: 993 GT2 Last Drive