Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 gt3 or 991 s??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
AMGsound is an unknown quantity at this point
997 gt3 or 991 s??

I recently acquired a base Cayman 2009. Lots of fun. I never understood why there was so many P cars out there. Even with my short experience, I got it now.
I also have a C63 AMG that im about to get rid of, not without pain.

I love everything about the Cayman, but that engine really lacks the grunt of the C63 so id like something, hummmm, more aggresive...

Should I get myself a 997.2 GT3 w/ pccb and all the works (i DON'T do track, don't plan on doing so this summer and probably not next summer either) OR a 991 S????

Both are similarly priced although I should have a better deal with the gt3. Both are as fast as it gets with different driving experience. Driving the gt3 to work will be a pain vs the 991. Can't drive around with the kids in the GT3. My salesman at Porsche said he expects the 4S next summer, no word yet on 991GT3 arrivals (even if its everywhere on the web and spyshpts and al) so 997 GT3 will probably hold value fairly well for the next year or so.

What all you Porsche fans/drivers think?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Blue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond repute
Drive both and decide.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like for your needs, the 991.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 PM
DBV
Teamspeed Senior Member
DBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
Sounds like for your needs, the 991.
For practicality and your needs, 991.

For fun and the best driver's car: GT3 all day long.

I say screw rationality and go for the GT3. You said you have a better deal going on it, so use the money you save to get a rental to shuttle the kids when you need to.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DBV
For practicality and your needs, 991.

For fun and the best driver's car: GT3 all day long.

I say screw rationality and go for the GT3. You said you have a better deal going on it, so use the money you save to get a rental to shuttle the kids when you need to.
No disagreement there. But if the kids being able to fit in the back ever comes into the equation, then he'll always have some regret getting into a GT3. If you're ok with the fact that it's an adult-only car, then it deserves a look.

But it also sounds like he's chomping at the bit for a 991 4S.

Too many doubts/ifs. Get the 'compromise car (i.e. 991)

Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
I try to be rational most of the time, but with cars, my brain just freezes. So many bad car trades. I want something special that'll somewhat keep some value as opposed to.....say....a C63...even if the 991 S will stay hot for a couple years, succkers like me will trade up for 4S and GT3 and pay the spread again. Id like to collect the spread for once and on that front, the GT3 seems to be the good purchase.

Also, how can you tell if a car was tracked or not? Brake wear? Tires? The dealer claims it was NEVER tracked.....

Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
PorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond repute
if its going to be a DD i'd go with the 991 but if not definitely gt3. it has the grunt you're looking for and thats an understatement lol. try to find one without pccb though in my opinion if youre not going to be tracking it. it'll be a ton cheaper and better for you overall

Old 06-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Gt2

Old 06-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by JonA85
Gt2
Ahahah...none available and too expensive for me!

Old 06-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond repute
If you're not going to track it, there is no question. 991 S all day long.