Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Report: Manual Transmission to be standard in 2013 911 GT3, PDK Possible Option

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:35 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by marakji
A GT3, as any other car, is what YOU want it to be... I had an '11 997 GT3, and it was my ONLY car, my daily driver, and we have no tracks here... I want a car which I can drive in traffic to work, and take on a Sunday 6am high speed highway and mountain road run... A PDK GT3 would give me all of the above! I don't think the GT3 targets a more purist driver than the Scuderia, which from a user perspective, has a gear box with Paddle shifters, and no far left clutch pedal...
I just traded in my GT3 for a 991S, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind 50 extra bhp, a more planted ride, cup tires, an even quicker PDK, and more steering feedback! And voila, a 991 GT3!

Old 04-04-2012, 05:01 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
I just traded in my GT3 for a 991S, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind 50 extra bhp, a more planted ride, cup tires, an even quicker PDK, and more steering feedback! And voila, a 991 GT3!
Hmm..so what does that mean? You want your GT3 back? If this was your only car..why didnt you buy another daily user car and kept the GT3?

From a financial point of view you have done Porsche a big favour - but not to your wallet....soon your 991s will be worth less than your traded in 2nd hand GT3.

Anyway, good luck with your new choice..I´m looking forward to read your direct comparison (997.2 GT3 vs 991S).

Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
Even with all the forum uproar, I can guarantee you that GT3 sales will be up and the vast majority will opt for the PDK trans. Why? Every wank that can't drive a manual trans will finally be able to get a GT car.
Truth.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Porsche can't offer only PDK. The brand is all about the "racing" spirit.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
an optional PDK on the GT3 will simply make the car appealing to a wider range of drivers, and would turn the GT3 more into an all purpose sports car, which you can drive daily, and on track... nothing wrong with that at all...
Sorry, but the appeal of the GT cars to me is that if you are not coordinated enough to operate a manual transmission, you shouldn't be able to pretend like you are some kind of formula 0 driver because "it's the same thing that they use in formula 1."

To me, manual, no traction control, no carpet under the seat, can't use cellphone above 65mph, going airborne on the 110 freeway is what a GT car is all about.

That died with the advent of the 997 GT.

So why not a wet sumper 9A1 and PDK? Might as well get rid of the racing block and put in an automatic.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by CaioLLV
Porsche can't offer only PDK. The brand is all about the "racing" spirit.
Well, they already put the wet sumper 9A1 engine in their Turbo, why not wet sumper and automatic in the GT cars?

Once you go down the road of traction control, sunroof, and navigation system in the 997 GT car, there is no going back.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
A GT3, as any other car, is what YOU want it to be... I had an '11 997 GT3, and it was my ONLY car, my daily driver, and we have no tracks here... I want a car which I can drive in traffic to work, and take on a Sunday 6am high speed highway and mountain road run.
Plenty of people I know drive their GT cars in LA traffic to work, myself included back in the day. I don't understand what the big deal is with driving a manual car in traffic. Just pay a minimal amount of attention with regards to spacing and you really don't have to shift all that much.

The 996 GT3 was not the most comfortable car I have ever driven, the radio sucks, and the car is too loud for cellphone with stock exhaust. But comparing to the comfy E90 M3 and the CTSV wagon that I have now, I would still rather commute in the GT2.

And let's not forget the ankle breaker clutch that is super communicative and easy to do really hard and fast take up, unlike all the wussified super soft modern clutches.

Taking away the clutch is really taking a big part of what makes driving a GT car fun.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=bonehead;1276236]I'm with Jon...well, maybe not the Corvette thing.
Even with all the forum uproar, I can guarantee you that GT3 sales will be up and the vast majority will opt for the PDK trans. Why? Every wank that can't drive a manual trans will finally be able to get a GT car.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by stuka
Sorry, but the appeal of the GT cars to me is that if you are not coordinated enough to operate a manual transmission, you shouldn't be able to pretend like you are some kind of formula 0 driver because "it's the same thing that they use in formula 1."

To me, manual, no traction control, no carpet under the seat, can't use cellphone above 65mph, going airborne on the 110 freeway is what a GT car is all about.

That died with the advent of the 997 GT.

So why not a wet sumper 9A1 and PDK? Might as well get rid of the racing block and put in an automatic.
Plenty of people I know drive their GT cars in LA traffic to work, myself included back in the day. I don't understand what the big deal is with driving a manual car in traffic. Just pay a minimal amount of attention with regards to spacing and you really don't have to shift all that much.

The 996 GT3 was not the most comfortable car I have ever driven, the radio sucks, and the car is too loud for cellphone with stock exhaust. But comparing to the comfy E90 M3 and the CTSV wagon that I have now, I would still rather commute in the GT2.

And let's not forget the ankle breaker clutch that is super communicative and easy to do really hard and fast take up, unlike all the wussified super soft modern clutches.

Taking away the clutch is really taking a big part of what makes driving a GT car fun.
I really enjoy driving a proper manual gearbox everyday (993), even in stop-go commuter traffic. I rode with a co-worker yesterday in his auto E90 and it felt so soulless and sanitized compared to my car. Independently, he made the same observation (complaint?), but he has a wife and kids... and I only have to worry about me.

I'm trying to decide at this point whether I should (1) dive-in head first and modify my new-to-me 993 to make it even more raw, aggressive, "pure" (coilovers, LWF, semisolid engine mounts, loud exhaust, big red brakes, bbs wheels, etc.) or (2) enjoy driving it essentially stock for a few years and then sell it to my dad and buy a 997 GT3 / 991 GT3 (pending its spec). There are plenty of fast(er) cars in the GT3 price range, but there aren't really any that present true daily drivability coupled with a raw, involving, "special" driving experience. If the 991 GT3 doesn't maintain that, I'll probably never desire a new 911.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Truth

Old 04-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I used to make all those same arguments for a manual trans. and against whatever type of paddle shifter one... They are NOT the same by any count... All my past cars have been manuals, and I have owned them all, be it an Alfa 2000 GTV, a 66 Pontiac GTO with 4 on the floor, an F355, or a 997 GT3 (and many more in between).. I once also owned a 560 SEC, a 997 Carrera S Cab. Tiptronic, and E92 M3 with double clutch, and now a 991S with PDK... Manual cars are different, and while they may require more of you, in terms of coordination, they DO give you more... In fact, an Auto or double-clutch is MORE difficult to drive, if you want to achieve the same results out of your car... Try to reduce speed down-shifting in a double-clutch, not sure if the gear will be engaged in time, taking the turn, managing it without a clutch pedal in case you wanna balance speed with no brakes, and gradually exiting with maximum punch, having tried to stay at a high rpm inside the turn (very difficult with a double-clutch as gear could up shift without your wish for it to do so)... It is near impossible to get the same results in an auto/PDK as you would with a manual, as the manual gives you far more control, hence trying to get the same results is MORE challenging... As far as "skill" to drive manual, let me remind you auto transmissions just got popular in Europe, and Europeans grandmas have been driving manual for decades

Comparing my 997.2 GT3 to the 991S PDK, I'd say in the GT3 you feel more planted as it is lower, stiffer, and has the cup tires... You also get more steering feedback... But the 991S kills it on all other fronts, making it a superior all rounder... I would even say the GT3 was a lot easier to drive... The cups give you better control, height and suspension make you feel safer at high speed, and the manual transmission with the clutch pedal allow you to take turns faster and easier! Trying to achieve those same results with the 991S with PDK actually requires MORE skill! Anyone who drives both will confirm this to you...

Quick Reply: Report: Manual Transmission to be standard in 2013 911 GT3, PDK Possible Option