Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Report: Manual Transmission to be standard in 2013 911 GT3, PDK Possible Option

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:12 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Sechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond repute
I have said it on other forums with people having an "ill" response...but Ill say it here too...As far as Im concerned, the pure driving experiences via manual ended with the 996 variants of Porsches. The 993s IMHO have it the best, but the 997s...while being "fun" with a manual transmission...are just not nearly as tactile as the previous models. As such "phenomena" has transpired, I have LOVED the new technology introduced in the 997.2 variants of cars that really bring the 911 to a whole new world speed-wise. Given that the GT series have always been about bringing the fastest track technology to the road...I want what is being used in the racing programs to the new "hardcore/track oriented" Porsches. All of the new racecars (RSR included) are using autoblip sequential manuals now in nearly every series they compete in. And let me tell you guys first hand...they are the most amazing forms of the 911 that I have EVER been in and around. It may not be rowing your own 6speed on the street...but IMHO, the 993 TT and the 996GT3 and GT2 should solve that midspace in btw. The first time you get to experience a new tech sequential (and ok, the holliger and hewland boxes are single clutch sequentials but that little fact aside), you really never want to go back.

I guess in the end, its "cool" that there is a 6speed for the old school crew...but sequentials are without a doubt the fastest way to go around a track...and its NO less engaging let me tell you...they just allow you to focus on other aspects of becoming a truly great driver on the track. Sorry if I offend anyone...just my .02~!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Sechsgang
I have said it on other forums with people having an "ill" response...but Ill say it here too...As far as Im concerned, the pure driving experiences via manual ended with the 996 variants of Porsches. The 993s IMHO have it the best, but the 997s...while being "fun" with a manual transmission...are just not nearly as tactile as the previous models. As such "phenomena" has transpired, I have LOVED the new technology introduced in the 997.2 variants of cars that really bring the 911 to a whole new world speed-wise. Given that the GT series have always been about bringing the fastest track technology to the road...I want what is being used in the racing programs to the new "hardcore/track oriented" Porsches. All of the new racecars (RSR included) are using autoblip sequential manuals now in nearly every series they compete in. And let me tell you guys first hand...they are the most amazing forms of the 911 that I have EVER been in and around. It may not be rowing your own 6speed on the street...but IMHO, the 993 TT and the 996GT3 and GT2 should solve that midspace in btw. The first time you get to experience a new tech sequential (and ok, the holliger and hewland boxes are single clutch sequentials but that little fact aside), you really never want to go back.

I guess in the end, its "cool" that there is a 6speed for the old school crew...but sequentials are without a doubt the fastest way to go around a track...and its NO less engaging let me tell you...they just allow you to focus on other aspects of becoming a truly great driver on the track. Sorry if I offend anyone...just my .02~!
HI Sechsgang,

Well, I have some sympathy for your comments - but they are pretty unlogic: why is the 6 speed from a 996 so different to a 6 speed from a 997? Thats pretty unlogic (they have only changed the supplier for the normal ones - but not even for the GT3 series if Im correct)..

Yes - sequential is better - but for daily use its maybe not the best either.

If Porsche would do it like this with a manual (7 speed however then - I would prefer classis 6) and with a PDK option - they have done everything correct...

Whether a PDK will sustain a 24h race on the ring - I doubt it - but lets see. Now they just have to sort out the messy e-steering and e-brake issue..plus reduce the no. of buttons inside and the world would be more or less OK agian..

Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
an optional PDK on the GT3 will simply make the car appealing to a wider range of drivers, and would turn the GT3 more into an all purpose sports car, which you can drive daily, and on track... nothing wrong with that at all...

Old 04-03-2012, 08:13 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
sequential ftw

Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by marakji
an optional PDK on the GT3 will simply make the car appealing to a wider range of drivers, and would turn the GT3 more into an all purpose sports car, which you can drive daily, and on track... nothing wrong with that at all...
But that's not what a GT3 is. I'd say a carrera gts with pdk is more suitable for drivers with a limp left foot.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Teamspeed Member
Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Hallelujah! Now we "old school" people won't have to complain about a lack of a proper manual

Old 04-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
But that's not what a GT3 is. I'd say a carrera gts with pdk is more suitable for drivers with a limp left foot.
A GT3, as any other car, is what YOU want it to be... I had an '11 997 GT3, and it was my ONLY car, my daily driver, and we have no tracks here... I want a car which I can drive in traffic to work, and take on a Sunday 6am high speed highway and mountain road run... A PDK GT3 would give me all of the above! I don't think the GT3 targets a more purist driver than the Scuderia, which from a user perspective, has a gear box with Paddle shifters, and no far left clutch pedal...

Last edited by marakji; 04-03-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
true but the f1 gearbox in a scuderia is not that much more comfy than a manual one

Old 04-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
If Porsche goes to ALL PDK down the road i will become a Corvette guy......but for now, with the stick still offered i am still a fan
stop it... you will not. You think a Vette will replace the entire German car experience? Not on your life.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Green
Sounds good, but was hoping for more than 450 hp's, unless it's lighter than the current GT3.
It is. By at least 100lbs if the normal 991 is to be a reference. Remember, Porsche achieves more with less.

Quick Reply: Report: Manual Transmission to be standard in 2013 911 GT3, PDK Possible Option