Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where does the 997 GT2 fall in?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Steve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond repute
Where does the 997 GT2 fall in?

Is a 997 GT2 a turbo with RWD, or is it a gt3 with turbos ? It seems that no one on these forums raves about their 99 gt2's like a gt3 owner does. Does a gt2 not handle as well as a gt3 ? Is it not as precise? grip ?

Old 12-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
GT2 falls under the category of perfect.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve K
is a 997 gt2 a turbo with rwd, or is it a gt3 with turbos ?

it seems that no one on these forums raves about their 99 gt2's like a gt3 owner does.

does a gt2 not handle as well as a gt3 ?
is it not as precise? grip ?
The gt2 is a lightweight Porsche Turbo rwd. The cars are outfitted more like a gt3 though.

GT3's rev higher and have a different engine with a torque curve that makes them a dream to drive at speed in high rev's. This is a perfect balance of control with no unknowns.

Turbo's are an unknown to the typical driver. When will it hit and when do I put the pedal down.

The original gt2 (935's )were a handful and to drive fast you had to be a master. Know that hitting the throttle 1/3rd into a corner would make the car spool up at the end of that corner and trusting it didn't happen before

The GT2 is just a much better variant but being a good shoe doesn't do it. Being a Fantastic top of your game shoe is more like it.

I would suspect (But I've never tracked one and only driven one a few times) that people don't rave a ton about gt2's because they are too much car to put through the paces for 99,999 of 100,000 owners.

Turbo's spooling into a rwd chasis is not for the weak at heart.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Steve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond repute
^this is the response i wanted to hear.

i was afraid that the 997 gt2 was more numb compared to gt3.

now youve explained it clearly. so what youre saying is that the gt2 is built for men only, right ?

Old 12-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
The gt2 is a lightweight Porsche Turbo rwd. The cars are outfitted more like a gt3 though.

GT3's rev higher and have a different engine with a torque curve that makes them a dream to drive at speed in high rev's. This is a perfect balance of control with no unknowns.

Turbo's are an unknown to the typical driver. When will it hit and when do I put the pedal down.

The original gt2 (935's )were a handful and to drive fast you had to be a master. Know that hitting the throttle 1/3rd into a corner would make the car spool up at the end of that corner and trusting it didn't happen before

The GT2 is just a much better variant but being a good shoe doesn't do it. Being a Fantastic top of your game shoe is more like it.

I would suspect (But I've never tracked one and only driven one a few times) that people don't rave a ton about gt2's because they are too much car to put through the paces for 99,999 of 100,000 owners.

Turbo's spooling into a rwd chasis is not for the weak at heart.
Pretty much dead on.

A few more things to consider/etc....

A GT2 is a widebody car - based off the turbo. The GT3 is a narrow body car based off the 997 C2/C2S. I would say the GT2 shares more with a Turbo than a GT3 just off the top of my head. To some, its the best of both worlds - turbos and lightweight/rwd platform. But like H20 said, its typically not "raved" about because most owners are not "track guys" and simply own it because its the top of the food chain 911. GT3 guys seem to be more into the track/using the car.

Also dont forget that the GT2 is far more expensive than a GT3 most of the time --- and from what i know, much more rare too. Most of the ones you see are street cars --- or garage queens for this reason. GT3 cars on the other hand are more often than not - tracked all the time by the owner (or as often as possible).

My opinion --- if you have the money and arent a track guy, GT2 all the way. All have full leather and Nav --- the wide body looks much sexier --- and the "hey, i have more HP than you" GT2 badge is just nasty. But if you want to dominate your local PCA DE event and do all sorts of track days and autox's with your car --- and still have a blast tearing up back roads then the GT3 would be my pick.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
What Mark said.

Armature need not apply with the GT2.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Production levels of GT2's versus the GT3 are less than 1/4 of the volume.

I heart the GT2!

Old 12-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
Pretty much dead on.

A few more things to consider/etc....

A GT2 is a widebody car - based off the turbo. The GT3 is a narrow body car based off the 997 C2/C2S. I would say the GT2 shares more with a Turbo than a GT3 just off the top of my head. To some, its the best of both worlds - turbos and lightweight/rwd platform. But like H20 said, its typically not "raved" about because most owners are not "track guys" and simply own it because its the top of the food chain 911. GT3 guys seem to be more into the track/using the car.

Also dont forget that the GT2 is far more expensive than a GT3 most of the time --- and from what i know, much more rare too. Most of the ones you see are street cars --- or garage queens for this reason. GT3 cars on the other hand are more often than not - tracked all the time by the owner (or as often as possible).

My opinion --- if you have the money and arent a track guy, GT2 all the way. All have full leather and Nav --- the wide body looks much sexier --- and the "hey, i have more HP than you" GT2 badge is just nasty. But if you want to dominate your local PCA DE event and do all sorts of track days and autox's with your car --- and still have a blast tearing up back roads then the GT3 would be my pick.
My GT3RS is a widebody

Old 12-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
My GT3RS is a widebody
duh!!!....but there were no RS's in his original post Mr. Skier

Old 12-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Rolex Fanboy
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
duh!!!....but there were no RS's in his original post Mr. Skier
Mr Skier is my dad

I'm just
Skier

Quick Reply: Where does the 997 GT2 fall in?