Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where does the 997 GT2 fall in?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd like to say I'm emotionally attached to my GT2

Also, it makes sense that you'll find more good words about the GT3 than the GT2 since there are more GT3 owners.. and because GT2 owners are more modest

Old 12-22-2011, 02:24 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MC321
I'd like to say I'm emotionally attached to my GT2

Also, it makes sense that you'll find more good words about the GT3 than the GT2 since there are more GT3 owners.. and because GT2 owners are more posers
:
Fixed it

Old 12-22-2011, 03:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
Fixed it

Old 12-22-2011, 05:29 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
johnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond repute
i very much think most new car buyers get the 2 because its the top of the line 911, really doesnt matter how well it handles, im one of them. But after years in my 996,2, im never bored on any drive anywhere, the car manages to excite or scare me everytime. thats hard to do in today's mega car choices.
of course i recently drove a 997 mk1 GT3 for the first time and found it not exciting and lacks power when accelerating, it must handle better than my 2 but i havnt tried that yet.
But if its a 997 GT2, i bet its pretty awesome with its traction control, comfort and conveniences, and 2 more turbos. plus with the used prices now, i think its hell of a ride.

Originally Posted by Steve K
Is a 997 GT2 a turbo with RWD, or is it a gt3 with turbos ? It seems that no one on these forums raves about their 99 gt2's like a gt3 owner does. Does a gt2 not handle as well as a gt3 ? Is it not as precise? grip ?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:16 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
johnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond repute
speak for urself, im an arrogant mofo!

Originally Posted by MC321
and because GT2 owners are more modest

Old 12-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
RDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond repute
The GT3 is a very balanced drivers car that most enthusiasts can enjoy. The GT2 requires much skill than the average enthusiast has, thus becoming more of a fun
'stab and steer' car.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
GT3 = weekend toy, high revving engine.
GT3 RS= really build to track, everything a gt3 is but more.

GT2 = hardcore daily drivable car.
GT2 RS = hardcore track car, widowmaker.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johnsgt
i very much think most new car buyers get the 2 because its the top of the line 911, really doesnt matter how well it handles, im one of them. But after years in my 996,2, im never bored on any drive anywhere, the car manages to excite or scare me everytime. thats hard to do in today's mega car choices.
of course i recently drove a 997 mk1 GT3 for the first time and found it not exciting and lacks power when accelerating, it must handle better than my 2 but i havnt tried that yet.
But if its a 997 GT2, i bet its pretty awesome with its traction control, comfort and conveniences, and 2 more turbos. plus with the used prices now, i think its hell of a ride.

You are correct that you most likely ended up with one because you thought it was the cool thing to buy.

I had other stuff written but it's the holidays and I'm trying to be nice to everyone.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Dodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to beholdDodo is a splendid one to behold
GT2 = Turbo (engine, body) + GT3 (suspension, drivetrain)

would be my summary.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
There may have been some truth about the GT2 being bought by posers but I'll bet most of them moved their purchase on fairly quickly as the GT2 is relatively harsh to drive, the chassis set up was the blueprint for the 2010 GT3 ie the GT2 got it first.

The GT2 is a rare car and this is probably the reason why there isn't much forum chat about it, in the UK there are 61 in total...

The GT2 is the first and last turbocharged Mezger engined 911 with rear wheel drive and electronic aids, this makes it an awesome proposition for tuning since the car is a pussy to drive with the aids switched on, it can be driven as hard as you want and the flickering lights will look after you.

The GT3 certainly in the UK is for me only a track thing since it is just too slow to enjoy on the road, reving out in second gear (whilst obviously a very pleasurable experience) takes forever and in third takes even longer and if you manage to reach 8000+rpm before traffic then you are already in licence losing territory.
The GT2 on the other hand allows for forays into jail time speeds with small breaks in the traffic with its warp speed torque.
I reckon the 997GT2 will get a special place in Porsche history