Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New clutch and mods for GT2

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011 | 01:25 PM
|
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
New clutch and mods for GT2

Since my ECU tune, BRV's and sport cats I have gained about 90hp/tq and the clutch is starting to slip quite a bit. I use this car for mainly in town driving but plan on doing some DE's and track events with it. So only 5 to 10% track.
Probably going to get an aluminum light weight single flywheel from EVOMS. I understand that there will be more clanking noise at idle which I have heard before in a GT2RS and dont think its that bad, and the car will be much more responsive.

From those of you that have gotten this type of clutch what are your opinions on what I mentioned?

Since I will have RSS do the work I will also have them do a stage 1 or 2 suspension upgrade to improve chassis control and feedback and to decrease any understeer. They say it should not ruin ride quality, hope they are right.

I do not want to spend a lot more money but am considering 1 or 2 more power gaining mods like either intercoolers or some new headers, which would also require my ecu to be retuned. That should put me close to 650hp/tq.

I am leaning towards the headers, any opinions?

Lastly, I am considering an exhaust. This has the least priority for me right now. I understand that part of the stock exhaust is titanium from Akropovic but not all of it. And a new Akropovic exhaust is around 9k, I am not willing to spend that much on an exhaust. But a europipe will be less than 5k, and is quite popular for the regular turbo. I have never heard anyone put one on their GT2.

Any experience with europipe on a GT2, please give opinions.

Thanks

Old 12-11-2011 | 01:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
If you're looking for power, honestly I'd reverse your order. Exhaust first, intercoolers second, headers probably dead last.

Old 12-11-2011 | 04:29 PM
|
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
If you're looking for power, honestly I'd reverse your order. Exhaust first, intercoolers second, headers probably dead last.
Can you explain your reasoning. I am quite new at all this and can't say your right or wrong, but have spoken to guys at two different tuning shops and they did not mention exhaust at all. They only mentioned the headers and or intercoolers.
I know exhaust will give me more power due to better flow but assumed it would really just be for sound and weight savings.
Also which exhaust do you recommend for a GT2?

Old 12-11-2011 | 06:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
I've been told by most that headers won't change anything. Intercoolers are first, then exhaust. I ran some FVD headers on my system, and thought they were fine, but I couldn't tell you if they helped or not. If you are interested, I have a GMG titanium exhaust in my attic that came off my 08 GT2. Great system and it needs a home. Make sure you tune after you do all the mods. And let em know what you've done. Helps greatly. I pushed about 650 HP with my system, and I still miss that car. I also got silicon boost hoses that added as well. AFter that, it's big money and new bigger turbo's.

Old 12-14-2011 | 05:55 PM
|
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by GTCole
I've been told by most that headers won't change anything. Intercoolers are first, then exhaust. I ran some FVD headers on my system, and thought they were fine, but I couldn't tell you if they helped or not. If you are interested, I have a GMG titanium exhaust in my attic that came off my 08 GT2. Great system and it needs a home. Make sure you tune after you do all the mods. And let em know what you've done. Helps greatly. I pushed about 650 HP with my system, and I still miss that car. I also got silicon boost hoses that added as well. AFter that, it's big money and new bigger turbo's.
Can you PM me what you want for the exhaust?
Did you need to upgrade your clutch to handle the HP/TQ?
What else did you do to get 650?
I remember when you were selling your yellow GT2 and your awesome thread of picking up your new 2RS. I assume you traded the 2RS for the 4.0RS. What was the 2RS like compared to the 2 and how does the 4.0 compare to both of them?

I will certainly tune the ecu again after adding another mod. At this time I only have a ecu tune, 200cell sport cats, and BRV's. And with just these the power is causing clutch slippage, but only at very hard take offs.
I have much to learn.
Thanks again.

Old 12-14-2011 | 07:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
Well, interesting comments and questions. The 2 RS is fast and was fast. It had better suspension and was lighter. But, I believe my 08 was faster. Just felt like it. Now, I never took the 2 RS to a high speed, but I got my 08 to 205 and many times in the Texas Mile I hit low 190's. I sorta liked the 08 better. Maybe cause I had less money in it. Not sure.

Old 12-14-2011 | 09:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Pinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond repute
I'd say skip the headers, especially on stock turbos. Generally stock headers will flow more than enough, and upgraded headers on stock turbos will just move the powerband to the right slightly.

Old 12-24-2011 | 04:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Can you explain your reasoning. I am quite new at all this and can't say your right or wrong, but have spoken to guys at two different tuning shops and they did not mention exhaust at all. They only mentioned the headers and or intercoolers.
I know exhaust will give me more power due to better flow but assumed it would really just be for sound and weight savings.
Also which exhaust do you recommend for a GT2?
Sorry, I just saw this post.
Which shops have you spoken to? From what I've gathered, the OEM headers are deemed sufficient for most if not all applications.
I missed the fact that you were running sport cats which would likely be the most restrictive portion of the exhaust. So you're correct, aside from some weight savings and a different sound, in your situation I'd probably go with IC's first.

And since you mention a slipping clutch, I'd definitely get that upgraded with a higher clamping pressure plate. Since EVO did your tune, you may want to ask them about the Sachs application they use in the higher HP builds.

Old 12-24-2011 | 04:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
For what it's worth, gt2 has the same small intercoolers as the turbo I believe. Replacing those would be one of the first things to do if you ask me.

Old 12-29-2011 | 03:17 PM
|
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by bonehead
Sorry, I just saw this post.
Which shops have you spoken to? From what I've gathered, the OEM headers are deemed sufficient for most if not all applications.
I missed the fact that you were running sport cats which would likely be the most restrictive portion of the exhaust. So you're correct, aside from some weight savings and a different sound, in your situation I'd probably go with IC's first.

And since you mention a slipping clutch, I'd definitely get that upgraded with a higher clamping pressure plate. Since EVO did your tune, you may want to ask them about the Sachs application they use in the higher HP builds.
I had my mods done at RSS and am very happy with them. So I spoke to them, sharkwerks, and EVOMS and they all said that I would not really get noticeable improvements from IC's alone. They said to get noticeable results it would require a full pkg including many parts and mucho dinero. Also will be getting the Stage 2 lwfw steel clutch from Evoms, which is a sachs brand. I am also considering doing the stage 2 suspension set up from RSS. I know it will make the car feel like a go-kart, but I am hoping it will not make it intolerable for long drives. Will do a test run in one of their gt3's that has the suspension set up.

Quick Reply: New clutch and mods for GT2