Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche returns to Le Mans in 2014

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:46 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Spyderman is on a distinguished roadSpyderman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jumping_horse
two years away from what ?..

Yes, this thread has turned a bit strange..but what I dont really understand: Porsche has taken the 2nd place in Le Mans (and with a little more luck and better drivers; by the way, an argument I really put against Porsche - compared to Ferrari they have second class drivers) and were still hammering on them. Yes, I know, competition has become more fierce..but personally I would doubt that a 991 RSR would change much...a small boxer engine is still not as good as a big V8, V10 etc. ..
I have to agree with you on this. I am somewhat skeptical that under the current set of rules and BoP, the 991 will be able to regain Porsche's crown as the leading brand in GT racing.

PS: I personally believe there will be no 960..why? when Porsche launched the Macan - it was clearly said that there will be no other new model..the baby boxster has already been cancelled..

Besides, where should this 960 be perfomance wise? - with regard to road cars the "best 991" will already be getting close to the 918..in fact the GT2RS does that already..and to be on par with a 458 and a Gallardo you will still be fine with a GT2RS..and there is still some "room"....
Although the GT2RS has similar road performance figures to the 458, due to the current rules governing GTE racing, it is not a viable motorpsorts product. (Turbo’s are heavily penalized under current regulations). Furthermore, the 997 based GT2RS will soon be “outdated” and it is not yet known whether there will be a 991 based GT2 RS. Either way, it will still be a number of years away, and will be restricted to road use.

It is a little unthinkable that Porsche, who is responsible for the future development of mid-engined sportscar platforms for the group would not have it’s own “mid-engined platform “ car.

The 918 is really a show-car. It exists so Porsche can show off its engineering prowess and “green” credentials. It is meant to show that cars can be “green” but still be perforamant.

I agree that for Le Mans, Porsche should build a 960..but it will never built such a car just for Le Mans..either also a road going version - or nothing.

Anyway,lets hope whatever it will be called, 918, 991, 997, 960 ..that it will be able to win in Le Mans..in its class..
The 960 would not be for Le Mans. It would be Porsche motorsport product for all the GTE classes (much like the 458).

Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Spyderman.

If there's going to be a 991 GT3 Cup Car next year, chances are there will also be a 991 RSR either for next year, or the year after that. And all the 2014 Le Mans talk is about their new LMP1 car which is purported to be well underway already.

And I just reread the press release for the Macan, and not once does Porsche "clearly say" there will not be anymore new models. In fact the release almost insinuates the possibility for even more models.

And the latest news regarding the mini Boxster is that it hasn't been forgotten about, it's just being pushed back to 2017 because they feel amidst the new Cayman and Boxster, it is just too many small sportscars at once.

So in the near future for Porsche, we're looking at the following models:

Fall/Winter (2012/2013): Cayman, 911 4 models
Spring 2013: 991 GT3 Cup
Sometime in 2013: Macan
Fall 2013: 918 Spyder

And I'm sure that a 991 RSR can be squeezed in there somewhere, and I bet if there is a 960, we won't see a production version until after mid 2014. So to my best guess the 991 will race the 2013, and 2014 seasons, and the 960 could possibly take over in GT2 if the 991 RSR isn't up to par.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
HI Spyderman,

We dont disagree fundamentally..I agree to what you say...just two things I wouldnt fully sign off:

1) GT2RS has not similar performance than 458..sorry - is a real class better..mainly due to its considerably lower weight, and the engine which pulls off much better. But as you said, turbos are penalised in racing..no doubt. Whether it will outdated soon..well - in which terms?..its performance will be still be staggering 10 years...just look at the performance of a Carrera GT..10 years after its still light years ahaed of a new boxster or new (standard 911)..

2)"its unthinkable that Porsche with the sportscar .." - well - Porsche is not deciding these things on its own anymore..its a sportcar maker (PS: already that is a bit overstated..by volume its a SUV and luxury coupe manafacturer) as part of the VW Group. Decisions will be taken by others..life is not the same anymore..Porshce has been taken "over" - there are enough examples in history where companies have been taken over and to which degree things were changed..in the end it doenst matter so much if this is happening in the banana industry..or in the automotive..I know Im a bit provacant..but I assume you understand what Im trying to say..

all the best,

Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
HI Spyderman,

We dont disagree fundamentally..I agree to what you say...just two things I wouldnt fully sign off:

1) GT2RS has not similar performance than 458..sorry - is a real class better..mainly due to its considerably lower weight, and the engine which pulls off much better. But as you said, turbos are penalised in racing..no doubt. Whether it will outdated soon..well - in which terms?..its performance will be still be staggering 10 years...just look at the performance of a Carrera GT..10 years after its still light years ahaed of a new boxster or new (standard 911)..

There is no question about its performance. It will be outdated in both chassis and design. ((besides the fact that the car is not made any longer)

2)"its unthinkable that Porsche with the sportscar .." - well - Porsche is not deciding these things on its own anymore..its a sportcar maker (PS: already that is a bit overstated..by volume its a SUV and luxury coupe manafacturer) as part of the VW Group. Decisions will be taken by others..life is not the same anymore..Porshce has been taken "over" - there are enough examples in history where companies have been taken over and to which degree things were changed..in the end it doenst matter so much if this is happening in the banana industry..or in the automotive..I know Im a bit provacant..but I assume you understand what Im trying to say..

all the best,[/QUOTE]

All true, but remembr that the Piech and Porsche families are major share holders in both companies.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:55 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by Spyderman
There is no question about its performance. It will be outdated in both chassis and design. ((besides the fact that the car is not made any longer)

all the best,
All true, but remember that the Piech and Porsche families are major share holders in both companies.[/QUOTE]