Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche will soon offer lightweight 20" wheel option

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
misanors4 is on a distinguished roadmisanors4 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Brobbins016
This actually made me laugh. So if a car is equipped, after being tested for hundreds of thousands of miles by a manufacturer who is legendary for building the icon of sports cars, with twenty inch wheels you will not buy it? Show me any point in the history of Porsche having standard equipment for cachet instead of performance. Any point.
Someone already posted it right above you. The whole center lock design for street cars. Pure marketing and now they are paying for it with a very expensive recall. I don't think 20's should be standard thats all, just to big IMO. Very little tire choices if you track as well. I've seen the cost of GTR slicks and its out of this world.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mietek23 has a reputation beyond reputeMietek23 has a reputation beyond reputeMietek23 has a reputation beyond reputeMietek23 has a reputation beyond reputeMietek23 has a reputation beyond reputeMietek23 has a reputation beyond reputeMietek23 has a reputation beyond reputeMietek23 has a reputation beyond reputeMietek23 has a reputation beyond reputeMietek23 has a reputation beyond reputeMietek23 has a reputation beyond repute
As long as it doesn't compromise handling, it's fine to me.
Everytime I read about 20' wheels, I always think about quality of roads in my country, which is obviously a mistake. I believe that US has way better roads, so the difference in handling will be hard to notice. In my country, driving in 19' is really a challenge, whereas in USA people seem to have no problems with it.
And as far as the looks are concerned - 20 inch wheels will look great, it's not like 26 or 28 (no offence rappers ).

Old 06-19-2011, 08:14 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by misanors4
Someone already posted it right above you. The whole center lock design for street cars. Pure marketing and now they are paying for it with a very expensive recall. I don't think 20's should be standard thats all, just to big IMO. Very little tire choices if you track as well. I've seen the cost of GTR slicks and its out of this world.

I declined on my response. I have no background with anything above a 15 inch tire. Never driven a "sports car" beyond a Nissan 240Z, sorry to intrude on all your knowledge of tires. My mistake. Wow, you actually take your car to the track? So are you fast?

Old 06-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Brobbins016
I am sure it just destroyed any ability for it to handle.
I feel it handles the same when I had the fac 19 inch wheels on it.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
diskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond repute
Let's be honest, if you're really concerned with weight (not just having expensive Porsche wheels to brag to other 911 owners about) then you'll be looking at all the aftermarket companies - Volk, BBS, etc.

I don't think the centerlocks were such a bad idea, though. Nor are the all marketing. For cars that might actually be tracked, it's a nice feature.
The Ferrari F40 had them in the 80s with no problem, so it's not too new of a technology to make reliable in a street car. The CGT had them with what seems to be no problems. Countless other exotics use them every day without any failures. Seems unusual for Porsche to have such a hard time building something that others have already made reliable.

Last edited by diskreet; 06-19-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond repute
I think they will look great, I also think that in many parts of America the ride will not suffer. In NYC though it will be a different story.

I'm fine with them either way, if anything I'm sad that if I were to get a 991, I couldn't get it with the 20's because of where I live.

As a whole I'm disappointed the 911's are getting bigger and heavier, but that's a topic for another thread.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by diskreet
Let's be honest, if you're really concerned with weight (not just having expensive Porsche wheels to brag to other 911 owners about) then you'll be looking at all the aftermarket companies - Volk, BBS, etc.
And if you're really, really concerned about the weight of your Porsche, you could always just go on a diet.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by diskreet
I don't think the centerlocks were such a bad idea, though. Nor are the all marketing. For cars that might actually be tracked, it's a nice feature.
The Ferrari F40 had them in the 80s with no problem, so it's not too new of a technology to make reliable in a street car. The CGT had them with what seems to be no problems. Countless other exotics use them every day without any failures. Seems unusual for Porsche to have such a hard time building something that others have already made reliable.
You're oversimplifying the situation without all the facts. Read what people who actually track their cars think about the centerlocks:

Centerlocks - A Cautionary Tale - Rennlist Discussion Forums

New Centerlock Specs/Torque For Track Use. **Read This** - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Center lock will be changed by dealers soon - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Old 06-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
I doubt the new 20" wheel will be standard on anything. I'll bet they are just adding another wheel option to the mix.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
diskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
Those are all specific to the 911. I made the comment that other companies have used this before without nearly as many issues.

Originally Posted by Carrera
And if you're really, really concerned about the weight of your Porsche, you could always just go on a diet.
For many people, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited by diskreet; 06-21-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche will soon offer lightweight 20" wheel option