Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MotorTrend 4.0 RS Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Teamspeed Member
nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Post MotorTrend 4.0 RS Review

Three page story (partial excerpt below). Plenty of photos. Enjoy.

2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0
Last But Certainly Not Least: RS 4.0 is What We Call a Collector's Car

Porsche churns out so many run-out editions of the 911 that collectors must be feeling pretty gouged by now. There's the 911 Carrera 4 GTS, the 911 Black Edition Cabriolet, the 911 Turbo S Edition 918 Spyder. Seems like every combination of spec and paint becomes a model in its own right. We were just waiting for a narrow-body 2WD Turbo Targa Orange Stripe edition.

Instead, along comes the real deal. Not just the last 911, but the ultimate RS, and the roadgoing swan song for the magnificent Mezger flat-six. The 911 GT3 RS 4.0... now that's what we call a collector's car.

It doesn't just contain a mix'n'match of the very best body, aero, and chassis tweaks from the existing GT3 RS and GT2 RS, plus some competition parts in the suspension. Oh no, that would be the usual Porsche cheekiness. This time you get an actual new engine. A 493 HP [500PS] naturally aspirated 8500-rpm howler, just waiting to propel this sub-3000-pound sled to 100 mph in under eight seconds.

While all mainstream 911s now have an entirely different flat-six (even the Turbo does since the 997 phase 2), Porsche Motorsport's Mezger motor powers the GT3 and GT2s, and the track 911s. It began life back with the 1996 Le Mans Porsche GT1. But continuing with two families makes little commercial sense, so it's a sad goodbye to this one.

The new GT3 RS 4.0 shares its block, long-stroke crank, and titanium rods with the track-only four-liter 911 GT3 R and RSR. . It also gets a road cylinder head with variable cam timing and variable manifold, plus a catalyzed exhaust.

But those road elements aren't the same as the ones on the RS 3.8 engine - oh, no. They're redesigned for even higher gas flow. Valve timing is different; the inlet manifold has wider, shorter runners, and is a thinner casting; the air filters are track-type items; the compression ratio drops (yes, drops) to 12.6:1 from 13.0; and the exhaust cat has bigger voids, necessitating the use of hideously expensive new metals to keep the gas scrubbed clean. As a measure of the achievement, power output per liter is actually higher than the 3.8.

We told Porsche GT cars development chief Andreas Preuninger that this is an implausible effort for a run-out car, done in a short time frame. "This isn't a lifecycle-plan car," he says. "It was a last-minute decision. I got the board members to say yes to it when they were in a good mood after we did so well in the Nürburgring 24 Hours last year. My team has been around for years; we've done all those GT3 and GT2 and RS cars. We know it so well. And everyone on the team wanted to do the car as a final salute. We wanted to get it perfectly right. Everyone was over-motivated."

The headline power figure and the ability to rev to 8500 snare your attention, but the most staggering aspect of this engine is actually its tractability. Mid-range lunge is marvelous, even if the peak number of 339 lb-ft doesn't sound huge in the context of short gear ratios, light weight, and a compact frontal area. In third gear, the way this thing flies between 4500 and 8500 rpm is scintillating. Plus the utter progression of the delivery makes it vastly easier to take advantage of than the GT2's ridiculous turbo surge.

Like the 3.8 GT3 RS, the car has a huge carbon-fiber rear wing, and front fenders and hood of the same material. Doors are aluminum, and the rear side windows Perspex. That huge tail wing is the same as the 3.8's, but angled more steeply for extra downforce. This levers the front end upwards, hence those little dive plates ahead of the front wheels.

The engine is has dynamic adaptive mounts, computer-controlled to lock the engine/trans unit near solidly to the shell in hard corners. It shaves off another little bit of indecision from this already very decisive car. So do solid ball joints in all the lower joints of the rear suspension - new on the 4.0 over the 3.8....

Read more: 2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 First Drive - Motor Trend

Attached Images    
Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
hg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant future
wow i just noticed that the mirror attachment part is painted red, something small but it makes a lot of difference.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm really falling in love with this car.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:32 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Nath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to all
Chris Harris in the last pic?

Old 06-08-2011, 04:45 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ressy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the rough
I looooooove this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
I was told that builds begin in June. It's June. When does a real one hit the street?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
It starts in July according to this document. Looks internal to me as well.

You have to be registered though to see it
Rennteam 2.0 - EN - Login

The new 911 GT3 RS 4.0 will be
launched on a market-specific basis
with left-hand and right-hand drive vehicles
as from 07/2011 (POS) . In all
offered markets, the vehicle will be
available as MY B (2011). The
approval regulations valid in the USA
and Canada with respect to OBD II with
end of production in 12/2011 are a
decisive factor for offering the vehicle
as MY B (in the current Porsche model
year C).
Note
Due to the country-specific approval
regulations, the 911 GT3 RS 4.0 will be
type-approved and offered worldwide
as MY B (2011). This applies to
the technology, type approval incl.
chassis number as well as other product-
specific content. The 911 GT3 RS
4.0 will also be listed correspondingly
in all sales and communication documents
as MY B (2011).
However, the 911 GT3 RS 4.0 will actually
be produced in Porsche production
model year C (2012). In order to ensure
that the resultant internal Porsche
processes run smoothly, particularly
with respect to the part systems (incl.
production), the 911 GT3 RS 4.0 will be
listed in these systems as MY C (2012).

Last edited by Mike S; 06-08-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
^Hmm. I was told by PCNA that Paint to Sample started in July. Although, I'm believing that everyone has heard everything about this car but the truth. I have yet to get approval for PTS as well, and noone can answer me on the car.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GTCole
^Hmm. I was told by PCNA that Paint to Sample started in July. Although, I'm believing that everyone has heard everything about this car but the truth. I have yet to get approval for PTS as well, and noone can answer me on the car.
I personally think the dealer is just blowing smoke to keep you happy. It doesn't seem like anybody has any definitive answer for the PTS. Especially with the demand, why would Porsche bother.
It is also not mentioned anywhere in the document. I'm sure there will be the odd handful which will get the opportunity, but numbers will be extremely limited.

White isn't my first choice, but I'm sure I'll be smiling once it arrives irregardless

Old 06-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Teamspeed Member
nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by Nath4N
Chris Harris in the last pic?
Noticed that as well but seems odd that Motor Trend would use Harris in a photo.

Quick Reply: MotorTrend 4.0 RS Review