Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside Line GT3 4.0 RS First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Teamspeed Member
nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Post Inside Line GT3 4.0 RS First Drive

2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 First Drive
If You Thought the Standard 911 GT3 RS Couldn't Get Any Better, You Were Wrong
About ten minutes into my first drive of the new 2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0, I had an epiphany.

Until then I'd been utterly seduced by its new 4.0-liter, 500-horsepower flat six. I was screaming around Silverstone at 8,500 rpm, electronics off, tail out, game on. It was brilliant fun — in every regard the visceral, soul-enhancing, tire-destroying orgy of excess I'd planned on having. After all, this is the final GT3 in a series stretching back to the last century. It was only when I eased back for the final lap that it dawned on me: I was driving it the wrong way.

And the Right Way?

If you want to understand what the new four-liter engine does for Porsche's greatest road car, forget the headline power figure. It's impressive, it shaves a tenth from the zero-to-sixty time, but it's not what this car is about.

Instead, the new GT3 RS is all about torque. In previous GT3s, the only major problem was their combination of peaky engines with wide gear ratios. In isolation either is fine but together they add up to a car that has to be driven like your pants are on fire to get the most from it. Which is why I was driving the way I was.

To make this engine, Porsche extended its stroke by installing the crank from the RSR race car (the bores were already maxed out), a move that finally provided the GT3 with the only tool it was missing. On paper, the extra 22 pound-feet of torque doesn't look like much, but that's only the peak number. When you overlay old and new torque curves you see not a thin ribbon separating the two lines, but something closer to an Interstate.

More Than Just a Bigger Engine

But before we examine the effect this has on the GT3's already well documented abilities, it's worth bearing in mind that while the badge only says "RS 4.0" (it's the first GT3 not to carry the name), in reality there's far more here than just an extra 196ccs of displacement.

Normally, when you stroke an engine you expect to gain flexibility at the expense of top-end bite. Porsche took it a step further by adding higher flow air filters and a new intake manifold along with freer flowing catalysts with 300 instead of 400 cells. The extra breathing capacity boosts the engine's output from 117 hp per liter to 125 hp per liter. Then the engineers drove it 2,000 miles at maximum engine speed just to see if it was as durable as Porsche's other motors. It was...
For the full article head to the link here -> 2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 First Drive

Good review and confirms what I've said in previous posts: the wider power-band has a bigger impact than raw HP/TQ gains would suggest.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Good write-up...adding to the legacy of the 4.0 before it even has had a chance to get going.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Teamspeed Member
GT3RS is on a distinguished roadGT3RS is on a distinguished road
Sounds like it is mighty impressive I have booked my Porsche experience for the 6th of July and get a go in the 2RS as well

Old 06-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
Could this be the best 911 variant ever?

Old 06-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Teamspeed Member
Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by dallascajun
Good write-up...adding to the legacy of the 4.0 before it even has had a chance to get going.

+2

-Troy

Old 06-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
wtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up , this is a proper quote " As far as I'm concerned, the 2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 is the finest road car to wear the shield of Stuttgart on its nose. A car capable of making even the 3.8 GT3 RS look compromised and the GT2 RS overblown and unnecessary. " Frankel's no green newbie the guy knows his cars .
Very Impressive .

Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Nan
Teamspeed Member
Nan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enough
Great article:

Then the engineers drove it 2,000 miles at maximum engine speed just to see if it was as durable as Porsche's other motors. It was.

Having spent the last dozen years driving GT3s, it seems almost unbelievable that this is the last 911 based on the original 996/997 platform. And it appears as nothing less than a tragedy that its motorsports engine which can trace its roots right back to the 1980s and has won races right around the planet including Le Mans, will die with it.

Sad to say goodbye to the Metzger motor...glad I own a piece of Porsche History.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Teamspeed Member
M3EvoBR will become famous soon enoughM3EvoBR will become famous soon enoughM3EvoBR will become famous soon enoughM3EvoBR will become famous soon enoughM3EvoBR will become famous soon enoughM3EvoBR will become famous soon enoughM3EvoBR will become famous soon enoughM3EvoBR will become famous soon enoughM3EvoBR will become famous soon enough
So sad ... what an amazing car. Probably to be the best 911 so far.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
wtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond repute
It will be the last 911 as we know it the new car ( although not much longer ) is reputed to have a wheelbase 10cm longer . This will really change the feel of the car .