Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is The Drivers Super Car Dead ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011 | 06:06 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
johnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond repute
yes, and i think its safer and owners will always feel like superman with the new brain-dead killer machines like the 458.

I drove my CGT yesterday, i tip toe around corners and freak myself out constantly all the while being more than super awake ALL THE TIME!! I love and enjoy every second of it, but once i parked it, im about to go to a spa and pass out. And believe me, my spa and ur spa is different.

Then today, i step into my 458 right after lunch and took the long way back to the office, killed everybody who stand in my way, superbikes and anything else are just way too slow when i bring this super machine out. Felt invincible. The cornering speed is unreal and so stress free. And when i got back to the office i felt like i never left my computer screen!
now i do turn off the CT occasionally but why?? race mode is so heroic it makes u play god.

So 2 very different machines, both awesome.
but i have to admit, i love driving the CGT more, but sometimes its such a pain in the a$$, i wonder why they cant make it easier to live with. then i remember i have a 458.

Originally Posted by wtdoom
I fear the true drivers super-car is no more . Dead . R I P .
...Is the drivers super-car dead or am I missing something ?

Old 03-31-2011 | 07:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, the 458 is comfortable, but it makes no sense. It is a supercar, and isn't meant to be driven everyday. Why would you want a supercar with so many comforts and pointless luxury that's just a cushion between you and the road if you would only drive it on the weekend? I remember in one of those GT2 RS threads, someone said the MP4-12C is better than a GT2 RS because you can drive it everyday. Who would want to drive a supercar everyday? I can see driving a sportscar everyday, but a supercar? I think if you have the money to buy a supercar, you have the money to buy a Honda.

Old 03-31-2011 | 07:35 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
^^ Have you driven any of the cars you talk about?

Old 03-31-2011 | 08:05 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
SleeperAMG is an unknown quantity at this point
I feel whole automotive/motorsports market is actually going backward these days.
It is simply because there are too many immature and young people who are only into 0-60 times, top speed and Nur. lap times of the newer cars.
It's very sad when most people only see the numbers on the paper(or internet), not the whole concept & feel of the car.

I truly miss "Pure Sports" such as S2000, Lotus Elise, E30/E36 M3s, 993 Porsche and ect.

Old 03-31-2011 | 08:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carrara
Yes, the 458 is comfortable, but it makes no sense. It is a supercar, and isn't meant to be driven everyday. Why would you want a supercar with so many comforts and pointless luxury that's just a cushion between you and the road if you would only drive it on the weekend? I remember in one of those GT2 RS threads, someone said the MP4-12C is better than a GT2 RS because you can drive it everyday. Who would want to drive a supercar everyday? I can see driving a sportscar everyday, but a supercar? I think if you have the money to buy a supercar, you have the money to buy a Honda.
Why wouldn't you want to drive a supercar every day?! If you enjoy driving it on the weekend or for special occasions, I don't see why you wouldn't want to drive it more often. And buying a Honda?! Are you crazy?! What kind of car enthusiast would buy a Honda when he could afford a Ferrari?

In any case, I tend to agree with what most of you are saying. That being said, the perfect sports car/super car for me would be a 360CS. Despite having flappy paddles, it's still one of the most involving modern cars Ferrari has built, not to mention it's fast, gorgeous and has the best sounding V8 ever built. It still requires effort to drive it well and gives me all the sensations I'd possibly want from a car.

Last edited by Alzilla; 03-31-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2011 | 08:16 AM
|
Teamspeed Senior Member
wtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carrara
Carrara , unfortunately the majority of buyers want a car that can be driven every day .
People want " supercar for dummies " not "supercar unplugged " .
I think its a mix of regulation and market forces . There are very few people with the patience to try to master something like a carrera gt or F40 .
Untill this race for ultimate speeds and ringtimes becomes extinct supercars will get more and more electronic with less and less input needed from the driver .

driving at spa you should have seen me get out of the car . i was drenched in sweat and electrified with excitement . the work you have to do just to keep it in a straight line is amazing .

unfortunately people with the bank balance to buy this type of car do not always have the skill , or more importantly the desire to exploit them ( skills can be learned after all ) . its thus obvious that porsche , ferrari et all will cater to the biggest market .

the problem is if they only cater for that market , in a generation that will be the norm and there will be no real drivers cars coming up at all . then i fear a purist supercar may be dead for ever

what annoys me is that when i talked to andreas preuninger at a gt3 event ,we discussed that there are over 20 types of 911 . one for every customer . I begged him to make just 1 964 rs type truly light stripped out hardcore beast for the enthusiast , he said that it was just impossible in todays market . the sad thing is , he wanted to build such a thing even more than i wanted him too .

Last edited by wtdoom; 03-31-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2011 | 09:01 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Fantastic thread mate.

Old 03-31-2011 | 09:02 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting thread, indeed. I have wondered myself about the direction we're going in now especially in light of where technology is taking us. It's gotten to the point where you literally need a manual to understand the manual that comes with whatever you buy/own. Things are becoming so complex that the every person isn't even capable of understanding what they have in front of them. Pop open your engine hood of a modern car and I'll bet you that you wouldn't be able to identify 80% of what you see.

In my garage, I have a car with every type of transmissions out there, automatic, 6speed, dual clutch and single clutch. I fear that our generation probably will be the last that knows how to drive a stick.

Old 03-31-2011 | 09:14 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johnsgt
yes, and i think its safer and owners will always feel like superman with the new brain-dead killer machines like the 458.

I drove my CGT yesterday, i tip toe around corners and freak myself out constantly all the while being more than super awake ALL THE TIME!! I love and enjoy every second of it, but once i parked it, im about to go to a spa and pass out. And believe me, my spa and ur spa is different.

Then today, i step into my 458 right after lunch and took the long way back to the office, killed everybody who stand in my way, superbikes and anything else are just way too slow when i bring this super machine out. Felt invincible. The cornering speed is unreal and so stress free. And when i got back to the office i felt like i never left my computer screen!
now i do turn off the CT occasionally but why?? race mode is so heroic it makes u play god.

So 2 very different machines, both awesome.
but i have to admit, i love driving the CGT more, but sometimes its such a pain in the a$$, i wonder why they cant make it easier to live with. then i remember i have a 458.
You just pointed out exactly why the "supercar" concept may be dying. They're just becoming too easy to drive. But then again we might have to redefine the whole "supercar" definition. What exactly is a "supercar" supposed to do. Make their drivers feel like a "super" driver?

Old 03-31-2011 | 09:22 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Why wouldn't you want to drive a supercar every day?! If you enjoy driving it on the weekend or for special occasions, I don't see why you wouldn't want to drive it more often. And buying a Honda?! Are you crazy?! What kind of car enthusiast would buy a Honda when he could afford a Ferrari?

In any case, I tend to agree with what most of you are saying. That being said, the perfect sports car/super car for me would be a 360CS. Despite having flappy paddles, it's still one of the most involving modern cars Ferrari has built, not to mention it's fast, gorgeous and has the best sounding V8 ever built. It still requires effort to drive it well and gives me all the sensations I'd possibly want from a car.
EDIT: I would just like to add that I could never see my garage without at least one manual trans car in it.

Quick Reply: Is The Drivers Super Car Dead ?