Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Bad Day at Sebring with Chin, Poor GT3 RS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011 | 09:03 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Mach01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Setting the record straight.

First of all both drivers are fine and the accident looks far worse than it actually is.
All of it, is body damage and none structural. That's the positive thing on the other hand it's not cheap.
Now lets get to what really happened and stop speculating all the nonsense that is posted here and everywhere else. I have been driving for over 10 years all tough I am not a pro I'm experienced and faster than most. The accident had nothing to do with experience or inexperience. The brake pads had been changed with pads that had sufficient material to finish the day without being too low. So the pad theory is out of the window there was nothing wrong with the pads. What did go wrong is the following unless someone can explain it differently is a combination of factors the first being; in any order was Hoosiers or any slick, Green Pagid Pads aggressive initial bite, PCCB's a very hot day and lots of rubber from the 12 hours of Sebring allowed for some pretty good grip. As I arrived to turn 17 at almost 150MPH I get on the brakes hard and trail brake which I have done 1000s of times but this particular day the ABS Must have gone nuts because as I got on the brakes the pedal got extremely hard and the car did not slow down, as if the ABS said there is no way that this car can decelerate that quickly and went into this mode thinking that the tires were locking up and quickly released brake pressure and stiffened the pedal. However I did have time to release and reapply pressure a few times, but the same result took place, at that time the car had slowed a bit. but the wall was getting closer very quickly so a last effort to rotate the car resulted in understeer that scrubbed some speed before, I went under the first set of tire wall which is the reason the roof and deck lid is damaged. And NO IT DID NOT ROLL OVER. and hit the second tire wall just before the bridge.

So now the speculation can stop and smarter comments can begin.

Old 03-29-2011 | 09:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
That sucks man glad to see your ok though. Hopefully she'll be back at the track in no time.

Old 03-29-2011 | 09:18 PM
Teamspeed Member
roncfp is just really niceroncfp is just really niceroncfp is just really niceroncfp is just really niceroncfp is just really niceroncfp is just really niceroncfp is just really niceroncfp is just really niceroncfp is just really niceroncfp is just really niceroncfp is just really nice
Thank goodness you are okay. Sebring is a tough track and turn 17 notoriously difficult. I can only imagine the amount of rubber on the track after the 12hr. I was there a couple of weeks prior and just from testing days there was lots of rubber.

I'm glad you came on to clear up the speculation. Kudos to you and best of luck getting it all sorted out.

Old 03-29-2011 | 10:02 PM
Teamspeed Member
nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by Mach01
As I arrived to turn 17 at almost 150MPH I get on the brakes hard and trail brake which I have done 1000s of times but this particular day the ABS Must have gone nuts because as I got on the brakes the pedal got extremely hard and the car did not slow down, as if the ABS said there is no way that this car can decelerate that quickly and went into this mode thinking that the tires were locking up and quickly released brake pressure and stiffened the pedal.
Glad to hear everyone is okay. The ABS issue you identified has been reported by others. Do a search over on Rennlist.

Old 03-29-2011 | 10:07 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough
Mach01, glad to hear that you are ok, from your description it sounds like you experienced the dreaded "Ice Pedal" on the GT3

well, ABS Ice Mode finally got me... - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Hope that you get back on the horse soon.

Last edited by 2slow2speed; 03-29-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 03-29-2011 | 10:18 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Izzone is an unknown quantity at this point
what size hoosier were you running

Old 03-29-2011 | 11:10 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
johnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond repute
whatever happened, it sucks to be u now.
so wish u all the luck.

First of all both drivers are fine and the accident looks far worse than it actually is.....

Old 03-29-2011 | 11:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
hg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant future
First of all both drivers are fine and the accident looks far worse than it actually is.
All of it, is body damage and none structural. That's the positive thing on the other hand it's not cheap.
Now lets get to what really happened and stop speculating all the nonsense that is posted here and everywhere else. I have been driving for over 10 years all tough I am not a pro I'm experienced and faster than most. The accident had nothing to do with experience or inexperience. The brake pads had been changed with pads that had sufficient material to finish the day without being too low. So the pad theory is out of the window there was nothing wrong with the pads. What did go wrong is the following unless someone can explain it differently is a combination of factors the first being; in any order was Hoosiers or any slick, Green Pagid Pads aggressive initial bite, PCCB's a very hot day and lots of rubber from the 12 hours of Sebring allowed for some pretty good grip. As I arrived to turn 17 at almost 150MPH I get on the brakes hard and trail brake which I have done 1000s of times but this particular day the ABS Must have gone nuts because as I got on the brakes the pedal got extremely hard and the car did not slow down, as if the ABS said there is no way that this car can decelerate that quickly and went into this mode thinking that the tires were locking up and quickly released brake pressure and stiffened the pedal. However I did have time to release and reapply pressure a few times, but the same result took place, at that time the car had slowed a bit. but the wall was getting closer very quickly so a last effort to rotate the car resulted in understeer that scrubbed some speed before, I went under the first set of tire wall which is the reason the roof and deck lid is damaged. And NO IT DID NOT ROLL OVER. and hit the second tire wall just before the bridge.

So now the speculation can stop and smarter comments can begin.
glad to hear that you are ok

Old 03-30-2011 | 12:45 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
firefisher is infamous around these partsfirefisher is infamous around these partsfirefisher is infamous around these partsfirefisher is infamous around these partsfirefisher is infamous around these partsfirefisher is infamous around these parts
Thank God you are here today and able to talk about it. It sucks about the car and I'm sure you are reliving the experience in your head and trying to figure out what you could have done to avoid it. You experience may have saved you and your passengers life. In time your car will be on the track for better days. You experience may help the rest of us learn from this incident.
I hate seeing these incidents because not one of us wants to ever experience them. If you feel up to discussing any questions, I have one. Do you think the steel brakes are safer than the PCCB'S ? It seems Porsche only wants OEM pads on the cars with PCCB brakes and any others are not recommended.

Old 03-30-2011 | 07:45 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Mach01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by firefisher
Thank God you are here today and able to talk about it. It sucks about the car and I'm sure you are reliving the experience in your head and trying to figure out what you could have done to avoid it. You experience may have saved you and your passengers life. In time your car will be on the track for better days. You experience may help the rest of us learn from this incident.
I hate seeing these incidents because not one of us wants to ever experience them. If you feel up to discussing any questions, I have one. Do you think the steel brakes are safer than the PCCB'S ? It seems Porsche only wants OEM pads on the cars with PCCB brakes and any others are not recommended.
I do not know for a fact whether or not the steel rotors make a difference, from what I have been hearing is that it does help because of the initial bite not being as aggressive. But then again i've read from others that it makes no difference.
Tire size was the same as stock.

Quick Reply: A Bad Day at Sebring with Chin, Poor GT3 RS!