Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the GT2 an exotic, but the GT3 RS isn't?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Smoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Why is the GT2 an exotic, but the GT3 RS isn't?

Long time Porsche fan here. And I've been eyeballing both of these cars as of late (997 and 996 generations of the GT2, 997.2 generation of the GT3 RS).

Many publications list the GT2 as a "supercar" or an "exotic" while the GT3 RS gets shuffled into a "Sports Car" category. EVO magazine, widely known as Porsche enthusiasts themselves, is one such example.

Is this distinction the consensus of the Porsche community as well?

I only ask because I was surprised. I considered the GT3 RS to be in the supercar/exotic bracket with the GT2, albeit one rung down on the Porsche ladder of offerings.

These labels impact resale, depreciation, etc. So I'm just curious as to what you guys think about it.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Because the 2 has big turrrboozzzz. Duh.

And so continues the debate on what is a supercar vs. sports car vs. hypercar vs. etc, etc.
EVO is just a rag (albeit a better one than most). What they deem a supercar vs 'regular sports car' is not the end all be all. They both are, neither are. Only you can decide.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Smokey, no offense. But this thread has got the makings for a disaster. Watch, and it'll happen.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
Another wonderful thread debating a half assed definition with multiple opinions and never a real answer. Can't wait.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 81911
Another wonderful thread debating a half assed definition with multiple opinions and never a real answer. Can't wait.
I've got the beer if you have the popcorn.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Both are sportscars, imo. Has to be much more bespoke to be a supercar.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ressy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Smokey, no offense. But this thread has got the makings for a disaster. Watch, and it'll happen.
you can bet on it!!

Old 03-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
This will be fun, I'll bring the stogies.

Btw- I agree with al.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
For me, the definition of an exotic is a car you don't see more than once or twice a year. For example, a Ferrari F430 is an exotic in Kansas, but not in LA. A 911 is an exotic in Idaho, but not in DC., etc. etc. If you are trying to be definitive, then there are very few true exotics: Veyron, Zonda, Koeniggsegg, Enzo, F40, F50, Carrera GT, Lambo SV, etc. The rest are all sports (or super) cars.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
Stoppie all I ever have is beer.

Quick Reply: Why is the GT2 an exotic, but the GT3 RS isn't?