Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2RS Inventory hurting cars reputation???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Did anyone stop to think that maybe, possibly, there are people out there scared to drive a 620hp, RWD- 6 Speed monster? And just MAYBE thats one of the reasons there's a 'few' out there?

Not everyone is comfortable with that scenario. Thus why Ferrari is sticking to the F1 set up for it's beloved 458. Just flip the paddles and away you go...

Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
maybe the fact that it only comes in 4 "Official" colors as well adds to this scenario.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Who the HELL cares? The car is amazing. If someone passes on it b/c their worried about the market, they're only doing those who OWN one a favor. It wouldn't surprise me if "someone" loves the damn car so much, they buy a 2nd.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Did anyone stop to think that maybe, possibly, there are people out there scared to drive a 620hp, RWD- 6 Speed monster? And just MAYBE thats one of the reasons there's a 'few' out there?

Not everyone is comfortable with that scenario. Thus why Ferrari is sticking to the F1 set up for it's beloved 458. Just flip the paddles and away you go...
Ferrari sticks with the F1 because it's faster. There is no other reason. Customers want faster shifts and the only way to make it happen is to take driver error out of it. Or are you saying that every Porsche owner has flawless technique

The gt2 is not something IMHO that should be sold to the general public. On the high side I believe 40-50 people in this entire world are capable of driving a 600hp rwd vehicle at or above 7/10's. Unfortunately you then put it at a price point that most of those guys can't afford it and you've now created a bad idea. The 996 Widow Maker isn't much different. Yes the Turbo's on the newer cars are much better creating a safer environment inside it still doesn't make it right that Porsche sells these cars to anyone but professional drivers.

My opinion of the car is they are dangerous. I for one don't know why anyone needs this type of power. I guess I never will.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I want one for the ricer carbon hood... sooooo JDM.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
Originally Posted by h20skier
Ferrari sticks with the F1 because it's faster. There is no other reason. Customers want faster shifts and the only way to make it happen is to take driver error out of it. Or are you saying that every Porsche owner has flawless technique

The gt2 is not something IMHO that should be sold to the general public. On the high side I believe 40-50 people in this entire world are capable of driving a 600hp rwd vehicle at or above 7/10's. Unfortunately you then put it at a price point that most of those guys can't afford it and you've now created a bad idea. The 996 Widow Maker isn't much different. Yes the Turbo's on the newer cars are much better creating a safer environment inside it still doesn't make it right that Porsche sells these cars to anyone but professional drivers.

My opinion of the car is they are dangerous. I for one don't know why anyone needs this type of power. I guess I never will.
To your first point; While it might have been accepted, originally, as 'faster'; and while it is- it also 'dumb downs' the car. Sorry, but it does. There is NO skill in driving a F1 optioned car. None. Practically anyone can drive one. Only morons can't.

The GT2RS was meant for REAL drivers. I guarantee you that we'll see one, crashed- relativly soon. Mark my words (pun included!LOL)

And your last statement goes right to my point. On both fronts. One, it IS dangerous. Thus one of the reasons why there are a FEW unsold- as of yet. Two, it's one of the reasons why Ferrari stuck with the F1 for the 458. Its much safer for anyone to drive- it's not a good idea to kill off your clients.

Liability and 'more money then brains' is the main reason why most exotics are going the way of the 'anyone can drive it' technology.

Which is a fark'n shame.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Green has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I want one for the ricer carbon hood... sooooo JDM.

Me too!!! That carbon hood rocks

Old 03-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Mark, the CGT is more of a handful by a long stretch. This should be a walk in the park for you

it's not a good idea to kill off your clients
Quote of the day!

Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
It has nothing to do with how good the car is. The issue is it was released in the worst economy we've had in 80 years. Possibly ever.
I disagree. Having owned a depreciation disaster of a car that is the GT2, I think the reason is that this car is just priced too high for what it is.

Which, at the end of the day, is a car that looks like every other 911 to most non car folks. Yes, even with the huge wing.

Look at what the 997 GT2's are going for, a few thousand miles and they are trading at not even 140K, WTF? And mint 996 GT2's? Even more pathetic.

Pricing the GT2 at 200K was a wrong business decision in 996, and is still wrong in 997. Pricing it at 260 or whatever they are for the RS an even bigger mistake.

People don't want to pay a quarter mil for a car that only looks special to car enthusiasts.

But don't get me wrong, I obviously loved GT2's, I just think they are priced incorrectly.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
To your first point; While it might have been accepted, originally, as 'faster'; and while it is- it also 'dumb downs' the car. Sorry, but it does. There is NO skill in driving a F1 optioned car. None. Practically anyone can drive one. Only morons can't.

The GT2RS was meant for REAL drivers. I guarantee you that we'll see one, crashed- relativly soon. Mark my words (pun included!LOL).
Porsche also dumbed down the GT2's, they now come with traction control.

I remember driving my 996 GT2 and casually correcting oversteers here and there, and it's always the same. The passenger would get real quiet, then finally say things like "does the car always do that, it seems like a really dangerous car." And these are guys who have owned 911's, Lambo, 360's, 430's, you name it.

I for one wished that they had never put traction control in the GT cars, keep it no excuse driver's car. With the 996 GT2, if you didn't respect the car, it f'king kills you. Not quite so any more with traction control that saves your behind now in the 997 GT2.

Quick Reply: GT2RS Inventory hurting cars reputation???