Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very cool 11' GT3 RS in Green at Suncoast!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
hg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Ressy
indeed!
on our Porsche Club all track-day cars are fitted with normal rotors.
If a car is (unfortunately) sold only with PCCB (GT2 or GT2RS example)we change them even before it gets ou from the Dealer.
PCCB are kept (new) for when the car will be sold again...
PCCB on track wear as fast as steel ones, and they do not perform any better...
A lot of money spent for nothing in my opinion.
Hopefully the GT3 RS LE I have optioned will not be fitted with PCCB...
wait, doesn't carbon ceramic NEVER wear out?

Old 02-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ressy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by The Credit Man
Well, I'll keep making the "biggest error", at least according to you. From my CS to Scuderia to GT3 RS the carbon-ceramic brakes are fantastic on both road and track.

Porsche's latest generation PCCBs are reliable, have awesome stopping power (once warmed up) and have less unsprung weight; the latter which improves handling at the margin.

You can also drive the snot of the car, wash it quick, and park it without f#cking around with brake dust.
According to Porsche my friend!
Here:
911 GT3 Cup (Type 997) - Racing cars / Racing components - Motorsports - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
STEEL ROTORS!

Here:
911 GT3 R (Type 997) - Racing cars / Racing components - Motorsports - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
STEEL ROTORS!

HERE:
911 GT3 RSR (Type 997) - Racing cars / Racing components - Motorsports - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
OPPSSS... STEEL AGAIN!!

Maybe at Porsche they forgot they produce PCCB...

HG_WNG: yes PCCB wear a lot if properly used on track.
When Porsche Motorsport rents its cars and the customer wants PCCB fitted, they weight rotors before and after the race/races and you pay for what you have "used"... and you pay expensive...

Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Teamspeed Pro
hg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant future
huh? so carbon ceramic brakes wear out after all?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hg_wng
huh? so carbon ceramic brakes wear out after all?
They do wear out after prolonged use. Their replacement price doesn't help.

There are pros and cons to this situation. They heat up quicker than steel rotors. They maintain temperature better. The big thing is that they don't fade.

And to some of the guys here. The dust isn't from the rotors, it's from the pads themselves.

We may both be right in this big conversation of carbon ceramic/composite brakes versus steel rotors.

It's most likely going to boil down to personal preference in the long run.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
I had iron on my 996 Turbo, and PCCB on my GT2.

I much much prefer the pedal feel of the PCCB.

The lack of brake dust is also a lot of win.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Teamspeed Member
The Credit Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Credit Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Credit Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Credit Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Credit Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Credit Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Credit Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Credit Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Credit Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Credit Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Credit Man has a reputation beyond repute
According to Porsche my friend!
Here:
911 GT3 Cup (Type 997) - Racing cars / Racing components - Motorsports - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
STEEL ROTORS!

Here:
911 GT3 R (Type 997) - Racing cars / Racing components - Motorsports - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
STEEL ROTORS!

HERE:
911 GT3 RSR (Type 997) - Racing cars / Racing components - Motorsports - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
OPPSSS... STEEL AGAIN!!

Maybe at Porsche they forgot they produce PCCB...

HG_WNG: yes PCCB wear a lot if properly used on track.
When Porsche Motorsport rents its cars and the customer wants PCCB fitted, they weight rotors before and after the race/races and you pay for what you have "used"... and you pay expensive...

So in an attempt to prove your point, you cut and paste a link to 911 race cars/cup cars which are fitted with steel rotors?

Thanks for the link, but's it is irrelevant to my street cars which are occasionally tracked.

Originally Posted by X2daC
We may both be right in this big conversation of carbon ceramic/composite brakes versus steel rotors.

It's most likely going to boil down to personal preference in the long run.
Sums up the discussion nicely.

Last edited by The Credit Man; 02-12-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:27 PM
This won't end well
65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JonA85
PetFrog .2
EXACTLY what I thought!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough
Because it is a Track Day car, and if you really want to use it on the circuit the biggest error you can commit would be fitting PCCB on it...

Old 02-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough2slow2speed will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 65°V12
EXACTLY what I thought!
IMHO: This should be Kermit2 where is Alex?

IIRC Fred already had a gray 997.2GT3RS that he ended up wrapping in white before selling it.