Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 RS review - Chris Harris is a literary genius!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond repute
GT2 RS review - Chris Harris is a literary genius!

I recently committed to buying a GT2RS. Between the GT2RS and the 458 Italia, I'm committing more to two cars than I did to my first two houses combined. So I've been searching for justification for my irresponsible car purchase decisions. I've tried, "You can't take it with you." "You're only 49, you have plenty of time to get the money back in the bank." "The economy sucks, investments won't earn anything anyways." Nothing was really ringing true until I read Chris Murphy's review of the GT2 RS in the Sept 2010 issue of EVO.

Title.... "Flat out in the most powerful Porsche ever." Since the Flat Out You Tube Video is one of my all time track based favorites, Chris was off to a good start.

It only gets better.....

Page 70: While approaching an unrestricted section of the Autobahn outside of Stuttgart. (Some edits for length) "You can never be sure how fast something is relative to it's competition. I'm pondering this when the toothy mug of a Ferrari 599 slowly fills all 3 mirrors. Ferrari Man is jostling keen to see what the Porsche can do. He carves a light slalom within his lane - swoosh, left and then right. The Mercedes in front submits at a little under 95 mph. We're in third gear and I push the throttle pedal onto its stop. As the 911's arse pushes into the ground, the Ferrari's nose rises and it's image immediately shrinks in size before the rearview mirror loses sight of it."

Wait, it gets even better still.....

" Into fourth and the 599 reappears in the wavering glass, noticeably further behind. The GT2 RS devours 4th gear, not just edging, but gapping away from the 599. At an indicated 190mph, the GT2 RS is still accelerating with alarming violence. We slow down due to traffic ahead."

And the best of all.......

"The Ferrari slopes on the inside beside us where the driver deliberately widens his eyes, puffs his cheeks and exhales, nodding."

Some other noteworthy quotes:
When discussing how sedate the car and the exhaust is at idle, Chris comments:
"It gets your attention at half throttle. Oh Yes, it grabs you by the lapels, shakes you and yells, DON'T #$^&ing ASSUME THAT JUST BECAUSE I CAN IDLE SMOOTHLY I WON'T SMASH YOU INTO THE SWABIAN UNDERGROWTH, BECAUSE I WILL YOU SHANDY-DRINKING ENGLISH CHILD."

And one final quote:
"Does the manual transmission hamper the package? Not at all, it adds to the sense that this is one of the last great bread n' butter driving experiences. If you're good, the car is good. If you're crap, the car will most probably kill you."

So in conclusion, after reading the article, I'm over the guilts. I'm ready to run Flat Out in a higher plane. No more slow cars to ruin my superior reflexes. (See video link below if you don't get this comment.)

Thanks to Chris Harris of EVO for a great write up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8

Last edited by BBTurbo; 09-06-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
I would give a lung for this car.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like Porsche outdid themselves with this car. I'm glad you're getting it.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Steven997GT2 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Steven997GT2 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Steven997GT2 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Steven997GT2 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Steven997GT2 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Steven997GT2 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Steven997GT2 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Steven997GT2 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Steven997GT2 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Steven997GT2 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Steven997GT2 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I will look for the video

Old 09-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
Two of the best!! Congrats.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steven997GT2
Rep for your efforts if you find it.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:55 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
it was a great article, CH is a fantastic addition to evo.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steven997GT2
Added video link to my original post.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
mannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond repute
cant wait to see it.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:37 AM
Teamspeed Pro
JCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond repute
Please tell me that video is based on an actual event...

Quick Reply: GT2 RS review - Chris Harris is a literary genius!