Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scud vs rs.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Malgrats is an unknown quantity at this point
What a great comparison and a wonderul garage ! I am a new member here from Edinburgh in Scotland and owned a Scud for a year and Challenge Stradale as well as numerous turbos and use a 997 turbo modified for my daily driver. I have an RS coming factory collection in November and am delighted to hear how well the RS compares to the Scud. I thought the scud was the best overall sports car I had driven so it is some accolade for the RS to be up there with it. I did prefer my CS for fun however that sound is just amazing and its lesser abilities from the Scud actually make it more of a challenge. Drove the 458 recently also and actually prefer the Scud to that however I was only at 7/10ths so in terms of real ability not really a true comparison. Scud just felt more raw and special.

I would be interested in any comment on the ride quality of the RS on poor roads as that is one area I thought the Scud excelled (especially over the CS) as where I live the roads are poor. I intend using the RS for the daily drive on occasion so if it is too hard that wont work.

Great forum and thanks.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:19 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Malgrats
I would be interested in any comment on the ride quality of the RS on poor roads as that is one area I thought the Scud excelled (especially over the CS) as where I live the roads are poor. I intend using the RS for the daily drive on occasion so if it is too hard that wont work.
Ride quality on RS (in normal suspension setting) is comparable to the 911 Carrera S in sport suspension setting, i.e. it is perfectly fine in any road condition.

However it is very noisy inside the RS. Radio listening you have to turn the volume quite high. Talking on bluetooth you have to talk loud.

I do not prefer to use my RS as daily driver due to this noise issue. Other than that, it drives like a Carrera S in sport setting, but faster and it encourages you to want to drive it faster.

@Jas, amazing write-up as usual. Your real cars collection is better than my toy cars collection.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:26 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
I can't compare a rs.2 because I only have a rs.1.

I will say I put equal time into my rs.1 and my scud a couple months ago and they are so different on the track it's amazing. My only true track knowledge are the gt3cups and numerous Porsches I used to race so I had never been on the track in my scud or my rs.

That being said I will be short
The Scud was wicked quick. All aspects faster than the RS. I can't imagine any driver not agreeing with me with equal time in both. The Scud on this track was 3-4 seconds faster than my RS in 2.3 miles ( a ton )
Oregon Raceway Park Track Informationt

With my years running 911's I can say I have much more fun in the gt3. It's driving and makes you make it fast. The Scud is just a whole new level, while it has 100 more hp it made the laps effortless. Tho "untimed" I was told the Scud was running the fastest production car laps they had ever seen.

Porsche equals driving machine that makes you work for the times.
Scud equals quick, quick, quick while it allows you certain discretionary mistakes that are made up easily with the 100 more hp.

With all my rambling I will say its the gt3rs that I've ordered a new set of wheels for with Hoosiers for next months track days and I will be leaving the Scud at home.

Both cars in my comparison were bone stock. Straight off the shelf.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
It's interesting what you're saying about the Scud being that much faster than the GT3 RS.1. I've looked up the official times from Sportautos supertests on the Hockenheim and the Nürburgring and it really does seem like the GT3 RS.2 is on a completely new level when it comes to lapping tracks compared to its predecessor. 15 seconds quicker around the ring for the facelift is quite a lot...

-------------------Hockenheim------------Nürburgring
GT3 RS.1-------1.11,1 min---------------7.48 min'

GT3 RS.2-------1.09,6 min---------------7.33 min

430 Scuderia--1.10,3 min---------------7.39 min

Old 09-07-2010, 03:52 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
I've never tracked the RS but I have tracked my Turbo and Scuderia briefly. I can say that they're totally different animals. I know that my Turbo is nothing like the RS but it at least gives me a baseline for what I could expect. I have driven the .1 RS several times and they're just in different leagues. The RS is much more fun because you're doing everything yourself whereas in the Scud, the car does much of the "handiwork" for you if that even makes sense.

Here's a video of h20skier driving his Scuderia at ORP
ORP Track Day in a Scuderia on Vimeo

Last edited by atomic80; 09-07-2010 at 03:56 AM.