Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chris Harris, EVO Porsche 911 GT2 RS Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Chris Harris, EVO Porsche 911 GT2 RS Review

Flat out in the fastest 911 ever.
Chris Harris drives Porsche's 611bhp, 205mph rear-drive GT2 RS

What is it?
A £164,107 Porsche 911, with 611bhp and 516lb ft. It is the fastest 911 ever to leave the factory. Its sole aim appears to be putting every Porsche tuner out of business – I mean how much more power do you really need?

Technical highlights?
The base engine is identical to the 997 GT2 (which is no longer built), but runs different turbochargers, new intercoolers, new pistons and a new engine management system to run 1.6 bar of boost, over the last cars 1.4bar. Claimed performance is of the ‘what-the-hell’ variety with 0-62mph in 3.5sec, 0-100mph in 6.8sec and a ‘Ring lap of 7min 18sec.

The chassis is basically slightly up-rated GT3 RS, which is a pretty solid base. There are a few adjustments to fit this turbo application and for even better response the rear axle has more solid linkages than the GT3 RS. Aerodynamically, it’s quite similar to the 997 GT2, but runs a new splitter, new rear diffuser and an extra gurney on the rear wing. Doesn’t sound like much, but it nearly has as much downforce as the GT3 RS. All that carbon, plus plastic rear and side windows shave 70kg over the last GT2.

What’s it like to drive?
Comedy fast. I jumped out of a new 997 Turbo S into this thing and, at first, wondered what the fuss was all about. Being turbocharged, it doesn’t make much noise and it’s so easy to drive at low speed, rides so well, that you treat it like any normal 911. The fixed buckets are identical to the GT3 RS’s, the dash is plain 911, there’s far less induction noise than you get in the normally aspirated cars. It’s actually all a little disappointing until you open the taps in third and the car drags the horizon onto your forehead.

There’s no PDK option, just a robust, short-throw manual. The clock would have you believe that a Turbo S is quicker to 62 and as fast to 100mph, but, as ever, the clock lies. This car is different-world fast to the Turbo S. And of course it’s a challenge for the driver. No other turbocharged 911 comes close to offering the chassis balance that this car does. It has monster front–axle grip and it doesn’t set to that initial understeer that used to plague the 996 GT2. You turn, it grips, the motor lunges, the front axle grips more, then the crazy traction takes-over on the exit of turns. The steering is stunning. Drive it fast, use its potential for a few minutes and you have to back-away before the numbers get silly. The traction and stability control calibration is a masterstroke: you can use so much of the performance, so much of the time.

It’s freakishly comfortable too. Occasionally a low speed bump elicits a creak from those rear rose-joints, otherwise it rides no more harshly than a Carrera on sports suspension. In fact it might just be more supple. I saw 334kmh on the speedo, and it was still pulling like a mentalist.

How does it compare?
It’s faster, more useable and far cheaper than a 599 GTO. But then it doesn’t feel as special, isn’t lathered in as much carbon and is virtually mute compared to the musical Fandango. Neither the Lamborghini LP670 SV or LP570-4 SL are as quick or as capable. But again they both trounce the GT2 RS for sheer drama.

Anything else I need to know?
Those front wings are new for this car. Instead of the GT3 RS’s ugly extensions, they’re one-piece items, albeit an optional one. It’s very expensive and doesn’t sound as good as the GT3 RS, and they should be making 300, not 500. But this is a remarkable car. Veyron aside, it’s the fastest road car I’ve driven – but it’s completely useable and it still involves you in the process. Want.

Source and more pics [EVO]

Basically this press car "Doesn't exists"

Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
"Veyron aside, it’s the fastest road car I’ve driven – but it’s completely useable and it still involves you in the process."
SOLD...

Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
It's a shame it's not louder... Nothing that Sharkwerks can't fix, I suppose!

I'm also surprised it's so easy to drive. I figured this car would be a bit harsher, and trickier to drive, similar to how everyone explains the 996 GT2 to be.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by GrayTT
"Veyron aside, it’s the fastest road car I’ve driven – but it’s completely useable and it still involves you in the process."
SOLD...
That is some statement.

This car is winning me over!

Anybody else feel Harris is so far ahead of Clarkson when it comes to doing real reviews? I love TopGear because its entertaining but I really feel they never give you the info you want to decide if a car is worth its price or definitively better or worse than its closest competitor. Harris tells you all of that, every review and is far more technical with his breakdowns.

TG for laughs, Harris for real information.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond repute
Veyron aside, it’s the fastest road car I’ve driven
Can't wait for the video! The first picture is just stunning omg...

^ Agree... Harris is the best imo

Old 07-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
savyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ummm, so tasty

Me likee.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Ferrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond repute
I think this is a Porsche I want...don't tell anyone at the dealership here please lol!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smoke
That is some statement.

This car is winning me over!

Anybody else feel Harris is so far ahead of Clarkson when it comes to doing real reviews? I love TopGear because its entertaining but I really feel they never give you the info you want to decide if a car is worth its price or definitively better or worse than its closest competitor. Harris tells you all of that, every review and is far more technical with his breakdowns.

TG for laughs, Harris for real information.
+1, the only people on my radar for reviews are the core 5th gear crew(Tiff, Plato, Vicki) and Steve Sutcliff from Autocar won me over with his review of the GTO. I'm definitely a fan of the RS and Chris gave more reason to be one.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Full-lock has a spectacular aura aboutFull-lock has a spectacular aura aboutFull-lock has a spectacular aura aboutFull-lock has a spectacular aura aboutFull-lock has a spectacular aura aboutFull-lock has a spectacular aura aboutFull-lock has a spectacular aura aboutFull-lock has a spectacular aura aboutFull-lock has a spectacular aura aboutFull-lock has a spectacular aura aboutFull-lock has a spectacular aura about
It s a nice car a very nice car. But for me i always go for a GT3 / GT3 RS. Nothing beats a highrev motorsports engine.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Randy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond repute
I am absolutely in love with this car. But the fact that almost every reviewer comments on how the turbocharged flat-6s lose their sound really irks me. Well, nothing a muffler bypass couldn't correct I suppose.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris, EVO Porsche 911 GT2 RS Review