Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 GT3 (Non-RS) vs 997.2 GT3RS ...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010 | 01:09 AM
Teamspeed Member
JAMS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JAMS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JAMS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JAMS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JAMS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JAMS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JAMS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JAMS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JAMS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JAMS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JAMS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Exactly my thoughts.

Money in the bank is making less than 1% interest.
I have no way of knowing!

Old 04-11-2010 | 05:56 AM
|
Teamspeed Member
spg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond repute
Im a bit of a porsche, GT3 and RS lubber so i dont want anyone to take this the wrong way...but having been an owner of a spot-1 GT3RS and a GT3, i hate saying it but i think the depreciation curve on an RS has been far more extreme than regular GT3s.

granted many paid msrp last time around, but many many paid 5, 10, 15, 20grand over msrp. even if at msrp, 160k$ 997.1 RSs have gone to 105.
105/110$ GT3s (non-rs) have gone to 90??85?? im not talking hammered cars, but babied cars as well.

i guess when it comes to money, my two cents are that whatever duckets and greenbacks you slap on table for either an RS or non-RS GT3 you should, for sure expect to go down BIG TIME.

as fricking crazy awsome as they are to drive, they are modern day, mass produced production race cars from a monster massive company that isnt going to stop building future, better, faster RS's because TOm Jones just bought one and would like to see it not fall in value.

"These things go down".

as long as you enjoy to full max on the way down, kudos to you.
Me? too many times ive hesitated to rack up miles on the cars. not sure if it was because i wanted to see resale value stay reasonable. baby them, worry about whacking up the chin spoiler..
(how frickin ridiculous and stoopid is that??)
but thats the old me.

this time, ive got the cage, harness and its getting pushed hard around z' track. cup car and the boxster take a trailer, overhead. sometimes i dont have time or patience for all that.
you hop in that RS thing, stroke that motor, and you're whaling up to the track, around the track, and home for dinner without skipping a beat.

i personally think the new 997.2 GT3 lineup (including the cup cars) is the finest porsche has ever made...... pending the 918!

my inclination is, if you have the loot, can afford to see an extra 40k go toodaloo, then rock and roll and get the big brother RS. if not, the GT3 aint giving up any ground on a track, and is still one of the nastiest beasts on 4 wheels.

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Exactly my thoughts.

Money in the bank is making less than 1% interest.

Money in stocks and mutual funds may depreciate faster than the RS.

Old 04-11-2010 | 09:59 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
wurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to all
The key components diversifying the plain GT3 and the RS are the dynamic engine mounts.
If you have them on a GT3, differentiation in performance is negligible, and easily overcome by the original Porsche Motorsport parts, or alternative aftermarket solutions which might perform better.
Aside from performance, the RS factor is a subjective measure of owning a factory limited production vehicle, with "better" or "more valuable" provenance.
The RS costs 60k EUR (80k USD) more than a GT3 where I live. Here, it is not worth it.
Best, w

Old 04-11-2010 | 02:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
If you are just looking at performance/price, then get a standard GT3 and send it to SharkWerks for $10K in upgrades.
If you want something rare and special and have the coin, the RS is fine.

Rep to SPG993tt.

Old 04-11-2010 | 04:51 PM
|
Teamspeed Member
spg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond repute
What would one upgrade in a standard GT3 that gives you some bang for the buck??
i think a LW flywheel comes to the top of the list fo rme.

fyi, what does a LW flywheel cost a to z, installed??
u think that makes a significant difference??
ive personally always felt a big difference in the flywheels. that LW wheel spools up really quickly and nicely.

Old 04-11-2010 | 05:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
Popular upgrades from SW include:
LWFW
BMC Air Filter
EVOMS Software
Exhaust Bypass
Solid Suspension bushings and adjustable parts: Suspension Modifications and Upgrades for Porsche 2010 997 GT3 - SharkWerks Porsche Performance Experts in Northern California Bay Area (510-651-0300)
Lower it a bit with a corner balance & more aggressive alignment, done!

All in all, that will outperform an RS and be a little cheaper. But, it wont be an investment. But I don't think a car ever should be.

Old 04-11-2010 | 05:28 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
GT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to allGT1 Motorsports is a name known to all
Originally Posted by spg993tt
What would one upgrade in a standard GT3 that gives you some bang for the buck??
i think a LW flywheel comes to the top of the list fo rme.

fyi, what does a LW flywheel cost a to z, installed??
u think that makes a significant difference??
ive personally always felt a big difference in the flywheels. that LW wheel spools up really quickly and nicely.
I hear that the 997.2 GT3 RS LWFW kit cost about $1.6K in parts. Don't know how much installed. I'll be doing it soon together with a light weight pulley.

The 997.2 GT3 RS flywheel is 8 lbs lighter than the 997.2 GT3 flywheel, and 4 lbs lighter than the 997.1 RS flywheel.

I've heard of warranty issues when this has been done in the past, so I'll have my dealer install it.

Last edited by GT1 Motorsports; 04-11-2010 at 05:31 PM.