Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GT3RS mods and safety suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Teamspeed Member
spg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond repute
2010 GT3RS mods and safety suggestions?

my mindset till about a week ago was to use the 2010 RS just for the street. I track and will race the cup car. so why muss about with the RS?
but frankly, its kind of nice to be able to drive an hour to the track, not have to trailer the thing, every once and a while.
and i just squirm a bit at taking that beast, or any machine, on a track where there is no right foot limiter other than g-d, and an infield wall. stuff happens. likely? not. possible, yes.

so, i guess my question is....without getting nuts and making the thing an all out dedicated track beast, what items and from what manufacturers would you recommend to put in the RS that will keep yours truley properly safe with a good track setup that doesnt spoil the car for the street??

i have some thoughts having read other threads here and on rennlist. but i'd love to hear some opinions. ears are open.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
savyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond repute
I just went through this. Wouldn't even consider taking the new RS tracking without roll bar, harnesses and HANS.

My choice wound up being GMG RSR (shock tower mounted) bar, Sparco harnesses mounted to eye bolts and floor plates. Stand21 HANS/Helmet.

Your other choice on harnesses is Schroth which can be bought in a specific GT3/Sport bucket configuration which mounts lap belts and anti-sub belts to the seat. A pretty easy install.

Question being, the floor mounted (Sparco) belts, as you already know, are stronger and offer even more margin of safety than seat mounted belts. Floor belt install necessitates a lift and about 6 hours of time.

The GMG RSR bar appears to be super strong. If you think you will need a front half of the bar for full cage then I think the OEM HEIGO set-up is good, but you need to drill holes in floor for the front legs of the rear half. The front half of the HEIGO bolts to the back half.

Good luck! Post pics of the final install!

PS- Other than my safety items and tire changes, I am not touching a thing on my RS. Too good out of the box. Also, bring your ear plugs for the cabin noise on track or in town. Very noisy, but that is the price of no sound insulation. Forget Bluetooth calls, and radio is only audible on smoothest of roads.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Invest in lots and lots of bubble wrap.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Invest in lots and lots of bubble wrap.
Pete doesnt believe in it; he says bubble wrap is for wussies!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
savyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Pete doesnt believe in it; he says bubble wrap is for wussies!
Maybe Alex meant to wrap the driver in for safety

Old 04-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by savyboy
Maybe Alex meant to wrap the driver in for safety
then WHO is paying attention to the road?!!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
This is good. I already have a cage in mine. GMG as well. I will likely get a muffler bypass system to help some. Besides that, leave it alone. It is ready to go out of the box, but you know that. Might buy some tires/wheels to pound on instead of factory, but that is an expensive move.

I agree on the Bluetooth and radio. I can't friggin believe I paid for that sh*t. I couldn't hear someone talking on the telephone to save my life. Radio is just average sounding even with all the extra Bose money. Crap. OMG, but the sound of the motor. Screw the radio.