Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen II RS test drive today

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:10 AM
Teamspeed Member
Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Post Gen II RS test drive today

Managed to blag an hours drive in the new RS at the Silverstone experience centre today.

Think the Grey/Red colour combo is prob the best for the car IMO.

I drove my own RS over there so i can make the best placed comparison, and after jumping out of mine and into the new one, i felt a slight disappointment in the lack of difference in the cabin, i didn't really get that 'new version' feel from the interior, as everything was almost exactly the same as mine, including the seats. didn't like the door opening pulls, and think they will look quite tired very quickly. Also it had the standard rubber dash, which i think cheapens the car a tad.

Drove around the short test track, then the low grip track, and finally on the wet skid pan, which in itself is very difficult, no matter how quick you are at catching a slide !!!

No surprises in that i just feel the car is 5-10% better in most areas, you can feel that extra bit of urgency from the engine, and the PASM in sport mode now actually has a bit of feel to it, as it allows the car to pitch and roll a little when trying to load the the nose.

If you were jumping into one for the 1st time, no doubt you would be blown away by it, however, I'm glad i saved the £40k upgrade fee, as i just don't feel it is worth that kind of money for the difference, as ever with Porsche, evolution rather than revolution.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
I would get one in aqua blue and gold. Nice comparison, was a nice read.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Nice, where was this mate?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
rost12 has a spectacular aura aboutrost12 has a spectacular aura aboutrost12 has a spectacular aura aboutrost12 has a spectacular aura aboutrost12 has a spectacular aura aboutrost12 has a spectacular aura aboutrost12 has a spectacular aura aboutrost12 has a spectacular aura aboutrost12 has a spectacular aura aboutrost12 has a spectacular aura aboutrost12 has a spectacular aura about
Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone track, it's mentioned in OPs post. I've got an invite to go drive a .2 GT3 there, waiting for warmer weather

Old 03-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, grey/red is the best combo IMO!!! Nice write up mate

Old 03-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
wurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to allwurlie is a name known to all
Nice to see an owner's comparative view based on real experience.
Thanks Glenn!
Interesting to think about where the new GT3 would fit, and how small the differences are between that and both generations of RS.
Best,
w

Old 03-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
What you need to know is Glenn's RS is done up to the maxx with every bit of track trickery and hocus pocus that a fine tuner could throw at it. The Experiance track is also tiny and only allows you to tickle third gear. My comments are obviously all very unbiased unlike glenns

Old 03-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
O and blue is by far the sexiest!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
An hour in a new RS? Sounds like a great day.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Teamspeed Member
Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Oi Woppum !!!

My view was very subjective, and in comparison to my car when standard. Otherwise my car would pee all over the Gen II for handling. But you could obviously do the same to the new car, and have the best of everything.

I'm not biased enough to say newer isn't better, as it clearly is, just not £40k better in my case.

Hope you're worthy of yours when you get it

Quick Reply: Gen II RS test drive today