Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 RUF RGT-8, Once again they'll all play catch up

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cayennes2083
whats with the gas fill looking thing in the back fender?
It's the oil fill. Porsche originally installed it in front of the wheel for one year only on the 1972 911. Then again for the 959, which actually had one on each side. Alois Ruf put it there on the original CTR as well. By getting the engine inside the wheelbase and farther away from the engine compartment, it helps the handling of the car and keeps it a little cooler.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Teamspeed Member
Forgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond repute
Conversation with Ruf

I spoke with Mr. Ruf personally at the Geneva Show. He says the engine sounds a lot like a flat crank V8 Ferrari. The engine was built specifically from scratch for the 911 and is 45 Kg lighter than the 997 engine!

He told me that he considered a flat 8 engine but that it was too heavy.

All the engine accessories are low on the engine and there are no belt drives.

Expect a better center of gravity and "reduced rotational inertia".

He told me the price will be "around" 200,000 Euros. Has me thinking about a second on my house!

He also hinted that a turbo version was a certainty, 800-900 HP!!!!!!!!!!

It is without doubt his masterpiece.

PS, Keep the 918 and gimme the V8!

Old 03-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Just saw the car in person today at Geneva and what strikes me the most besides the amazing Ruf designed engine is the front fenders.....they have quite a nice curve to them compared to a normal 911....very much like the CTR3. In pictures it is hard to tell but when you see the car in person right next to the white electric 911 it is quite a dramatic difference.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
Fantastic creativity and engineering from Ruf...always raising the bar !

Old 03-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
JCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler
He told me the price will be "around" 200,000 Euros. Has me thinking about a second on my house!
For the whole car or just the motor?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Teamspeed MVP
Smoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond repute
Great Posts Guys, I love stories like these!! Ruf has a vision and will risk it all to see that vision come to pass.. I salute his passion and forward thinking.. Great articles, thank you to everyone for sharing..Kenny

Old 03-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JCay
For the whole car or just the motor?
good question!

the Motor Trend article claims the RGT-8 is around 220k euros. so i guess if the info is accurate, means the engine only will be a lot less.

Ruf have said they break even on 300 engines, suggesting this will indeed be available as a crate engine for installation in non-Ruf VIN cars. can't imagine Ruf being able to sell 300 full cars with this engine.

more power to them, this is indeed a bold and huge risk! i'm biased, but would love to see this succeed!

Old 03-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
daedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond repute
Ruf is designed bespoke engines these days? I'm friggin impressed. I guess with their new Dubai headquarters they have more resources than ever.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Teamspeed Member
Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
It's insane that such a small company can design and build an engine like that from scratch. Any ideas as to what the development would cost?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cayennes2083
It's insane that such a small company can design and build an engine like that from scratch. Any ideas as to what the development would cost?
once we know the selling price of the engine, we'll have some idea, as Alois Ruf has been quoted as saying that breakeven point for them is 300 units.

not that its an apples to apples comparison, but Porsche spent 150k euros developing the side marker lights specific to the new RS (different than GT3 coz of the slightly wider front flares), and the new Spyker supercar has bespoke headlights that supposedly cost 600k euros to develop.

Quick Reply: 2010 RUF RGT-8, Once again they'll all play catch up