Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Teamspeed Porsche 918 Picture & Information Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zeus
I respectfully & strongly disagree. Call me a caveman, but I for one would rather have this very same car not be a hybrid and powered by a more powerfull NA engine. Since "Jamie" a memeber here claims he has put a deposit down on one, I will dismiss my own predelection that this was more than a PR stunt by Porsche to appease to the hippies and the governments of the world that the hippies now control. Not that I'm knocking Porsche for going the hybrid route, since automakers around the world are tripping over themselves to be all things to all people - even those who are not their customers.

Love the 918 Spyder, and if I could afford one in the future, maybe. But my heart would still be stolen by a good old fashioned feral sounding, gas-guzzling antique.
I don't know that Porsche is trying to appeal to the Hippies for sure. I've been told by someone that's tight to Lambo that ALL car manufactures are handcuffed and can't continue producing the 4mpg Gas Guzzlers we all love so much. I think this is the reason this will be the next Porsche Supercar. I also think that's why the Enzo replacement is taking so long. I don't think Ferrari wants to build one with all the batteries IMHO.

Good or Bad this car is beautiful ( except for the wheels ) the performance is outstanding and it would be nice to have one someday for sure.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:44 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Wheel Close-up

Old 03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute

Old 03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro

Old 03-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
Nice. Those wheels suck. Aside from that, epic win.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:18 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Randy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond repute
I respectfully & strongly disagree. Call me a caveman, but I for one would rather have this very same car not be a hybrid and powered by a more powerfull NA engine. Since "Jamie" a memeber here claims he has put a deposit down on one, I will dismiss my own predelection that this was more than a PR stunt by Porsche to appease to the hippies and the governments of the world that the hippies now control. Not that I'm knocking Porsche for going the hybrid route, since automakers around the world are tripping over themselves to be all things to all people - even those who are not their customers.

Love the 918 Spyder, and if I could afford one in the future, maybe. But my heart would still be stolen by a good old fashioned feral sounding, gas-guzzling antique.
I think their logic is simply tied to a power-to-weight ratio target. Of course it would be fantastic if they simply tuned the old CGT mill to produce 700hp, but they wont meet emissions regs. If they can make a 500hp V8, lighten the the car, and add some electric motors to achieve their ratio target, then it must be done.

I am quite certain this car would be entertaining in itself without the hybrid drive, but the ability to E-Boost is tantalizing. I for one embrace this technology. No matter how we slice it, less emissions is better for everyone.

Sign me up.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:26 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute

the thing is,they did it the intelligent way...
pleasing the treehuggers and the car nuts at the same time by adding two E-engines and a rotatory energy saving unit
so you can drive either completely on electricity and get the super low emissions and great mpg numbers
or you can haul ass with the V8 and use the E-engine as boost when coming out of corners or on straights.
Imagine adding up to 218hp by pushing a button...that`s the way those engines would kick in since E-engines produce torque right upon switching them on.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
joshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond repute
i can tell im going to be in love with this thing by the time it comes out, im already obsesed!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DJ
It's got those twin wings on the wing like that silly Gallardo that thinks its a reventon thing. And yet it works on this one!!! Execution is key. And the designer of the Gallardo/reventon wannabe should be executed. I'm just sayin.

This Porsche Rocks!!! I sure hope they build it, or something that looks a lot like it.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
I don't know that Porsche is trying to appeal to the Hippies for sure. I've been told by someone that's tight to Lambo that ALL car manufactures are handcuffed and can't continue producing the 4mpg Gas Guzzlers we all love so much. I think this is the reason this will be the next Porsche Supercar. I also think that's why the Enzo replacement is taking so long. I don't think Ferrari wants to build one with all the batteries IMHO.

Good or Bad this car is beautiful ( except for the wheels ) the performance is outstanding and it would be nice to have one someday for sure.
I am holding out some hope, and I have little hope these days, that small-quantity limited production cars will be honored a "loophole" in relation to mass-produced cars on emissions. Trucks & SUVs have gotten away with it for decades... Maybe you could ask your Lambo source about that one? That would be cool.

Originally Posted by gk@domanimotors
I think their logic is simply tied to a power-to-weight ratio target. Of course it would be fantastic if they simply tuned the old CGT mill to produce 700hp, but they wont meet emissions regs. If they can make a 500hp V8, lighten the the car, and add some electric motors to achieve their ratio target, then it must be done.

I am quite certain this car would be entertaining in itself without the hybrid drive, but the ability to E-Boost is tantalizing. I for one embrace this technology. No matter how we slice it, less emissions is better for everyone.

Sign me up.
I embrace it to a certain extent. It's intrigueing, yes, but to me it is simply more complicated - and with batteries on board - more heavy than a gas only version of the car would be. Granted E-Boost would be tantalizing, but how long would it last on a spirited drive or on the track?

Originally Posted by ECB
the thing is,they did it the intelligent way...
pleasing the treehuggers and the car nuts at the same time by adding two E-engines and a rotatory energy saving unit
so you can drive either completely on electricity and get the super low emissions and great mpg numbers
or you can haul ass with the V8 and use the E-engine as boost when coming out of corners or on straights.
Imagine adding up to 218hp by pushing a button...that`s the way those engines would kick in since E-engines produce torque right upon switching them on.
Don't know any other way to say this, so I'll just say it... Come to Seattle sometime and run into a "Treehugger" which isn't at all hard to find in this area and strike up a conversation with them about cars, the environment and the simple fact that you even breath.

They will NEVER be pleased with anything that simply uses more of something(energy) to get something done. Even if the 918 was made entirely out hemp & powered by the sun, they would find something, anything - like tire wear, lubricants, maintenance, parts changes or the fact that you may use too much water to wash it over it's lifetime to fullfill your "need" for a hobby they will use it in their argument that you simply have something that uses more gas, electricity, rubber, heat, H2O, and the air you breath because of the excitement the car gives you.

But you're right...they did it the intelligent & well designed way...

Last edited by Zeus; 03-03-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: The Official Teamspeed Porsche 918 Picture & Information Thread!