Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dymag no more???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Had trouble with mine holding air, right out of the box. Same for a couple of others I knew. Talked to the CEO, Andy, a couple of times, and he was right on it. But the problems with holding air, and not from DD abuse but right out of the box, were still continuing a couple of years later.

Beautiful wheels though, and great people. But at that price, you should expect (and get) perfection.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MexicoBlue
Beautiful wheels though...But at that price, you should expect (and get) perfection.
+1.

Your experience with them stuck out in my mind when i first read about them going bust - it was a common occurrence (leaking air).

Old 12-26-2009, 01:58 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
This is where a sale to a larger company may make sense. Their experience could solve those leak issues, make the company more efficient/profitable.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by LABrit
The fact is the wheels had far too much negative publicity among forums regarding the usability for DD'ing. With that out of the window their customers were only the hardcore willing to risk a chip / cracked rim on the street or for track use only.

Those facts + what Robert said regarding the recession and their high prices created a failure that i would say was inevitable.
Mine have never leaked and are in dd use.

You are spot on about their prices being a prime cause of their financial problems - apparently when the liquidators were looking over the books they quickly realised that Dymag had been selling the carbon wheels way under cost price - your "high prices" needed to become 40% higher !!

Old 12-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TB993tt
Mine have never leaked and are in dd use.

You are spot on about their prices being a prime cause of their financial problems - apparently when the liquidators were looking over the books they quickly realised that Dymag had been selling the carbon wheels way under cost price - your "high prices" needed to become 40% higher !!
Sounds like poor economies of scale since HRE and other big names can do similar work for less.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:59 PM
PJS
Teamspeed Senior Member
PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!PJS You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by bonehead
Another one falls....jeez. Fikse earlier this year, now this. Good thing I didn't buy those Dymags from WB. Nothing like having 10K wheels and a defunct company for customer support.
Reportedly Fikse is on the rise... purchased by Canadians and moving to western canada... there is a "press release" on the western canada PCA board stating as much...

They said that their first order of business is "righting" the wrongs of recent history for Fikse... customers who have paid for wheels and have nothing to show for their payment etc...

Sold assets and rights... we shall see.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wyatth
Sounds like poor economies of scale since HRE and other big names can do similar work for less.
I understood HRE purchased their carbon wheels from Dymag, only the centres were made by HRE - it is the carbon stuff which was so underpriced..... I know when my wheels landed I could not conceive how Dymag could have made them for the price they charged me, the CF looks very expensively made and is unique (AFAIK) in its application for road cars.....

I really hope someone carries on with this awesome technology, the way the wheels make a car feel with the low weight of the rotating outer rim is truly special but for sure they is going to cost mega bucks >$10K a set.