Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 RS Rumors/truths 550+ bhp PDK ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
As for taking some weight off and bumping the HP and charging a premium for it; EVERY Auto company has been guilty of it.
True.

But a base 996 Turbo was only 100K IIRC, and a base 996 GT2 was close to 200K.

That's some premium.

They got too greedy and got burned with crappy sales.

Anyway, I am not knocking the GT2, obvioulsy I am a fan, and might pick another one up when my housing situation finally gets settled. I just think they didn't learn their lesson with the 996 GT2 with regards to pricing, because obviously the market deemed it not worth the money.

Would you pay 200K for a new GT2 knowing a few years down the line it will only be worth 120K on a good day if you never drive it?

I don't have to tell you how atrocious the resale is if your GT2 has ANY miles on it, that's why we turned in ours instead of keeping it.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I think Porsche does a fantastic job of creating 'inner brand rivalry'. LOL

They don't pay attention to total value propositions as much as they should.

See Cayman / Cayman S versus Boxster / Boxster S.
See Cayenne GTS over Cayenne S and Turbo / Turbo S.

LOL I'm with ya on the used GT2 market.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
yeah but nowadays you can have 800AWDHP in a tt for about $25K.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Schwabe
yeah but nowadays you can have 800AWDHP in a tt for about $25K.
You Sir, are just sick in the head! LOL

Old 10-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
I just hope they build it. And it, along with the next-gen GT2 need to be MUCH more special than the Turbo to justify the price. It would be a win-win for Porsche, so I'm not sure why they don't kick things up a notch.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Teamspeed Member
AlexG has a reputation beyond reputeAlexG has a reputation beyond reputeAlexG has a reputation beyond reputeAlexG has a reputation beyond reputeAlexG has a reputation beyond reputeAlexG has a reputation beyond reputeAlexG has a reputation beyond reputeAlexG has a reputation beyond reputeAlexG has a reputation beyond reputeAlexG has a reputation beyond reputeAlexG has a reputation beyond repute
I was told there will be a GT2RS with 600+ bhp and PDK. Rear wing same type as the GT3RS.. It will be on sale from next fall..

Old 10-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AlexG
I was told there will be a GT2RS with 600+ bhp and PDK. Rear wing same type as the GT3RS.. It will be on sale from next fall..
Wow, you have a GT2 in Norway!?

I am guessing for the price of 1 GT2 in Norway you can buy 6 in the U.S.?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
DJ hasn't posted anything in about 4 hours... perhaps he's photoshopping his off off to please the masses?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
Originally Posted by tractorcrusher
DJ hasn't posted anything in about 4 hours... perhaps he's photoshopping his off off to please the masses?
Surfing Pronno possibly? (Pronno is ALWAYS a possibility! )

Old 10-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by stuka
See, I disagree.

I mean, with 996 GT2, they took a bunch of stuff out, tune the engine a little, and charge 80K premium over the Turbo, that is what killed the car.

If they had charged 150K for the 996 GT2 new, for sure they would have sold a lot more than 300 copies in the U.S.

The GT2 needs to be priced near the top of the line GT cars.

And now that they stuck traction control in the GT2, it is not that much more of a monster car any more. part of the reputation that the GT2 had was that it was supposed to kill you if you didn't know your driving from a hole on the ground. Just look at how many 996 GT2's were crashed.

Now that that's no longer a problem, it is being looked at as a really expensive Turbo.

Price it at 150K new, and Porsche will double their sales overnight.

Although, weren't there rumors about how they couldn't get decent power out of the new wet sumper A91 by turboing it?
I think because you pay a lower (than the ROW) price for the turbo in the US and a normal (ROW) price for the GT2 it warrants some of your comments. In the UK the turbo is about $160K and the GT2 about $210K the extra ~$50K is justifiable IMO if you look very closely at the differences and the cost of doing a special production run. There are many many differences on the 996GT2 vs 996tt and even more on the 7 versions. If you can find the excellent PDF file Porsche did for the 7GT2 it shows just how much extra work goes into these cars - they are different to the turbo in virtually all areas.

The 7GT2 has the PSM and TC systems but it also has a rampant 700NM flowing from 3000rpm onwards going through 2WD, it needs those systems otherwise it would be too dangerous. Porsche don't want to sell lots of GT2s, it is their pinnacle 911 to show what they can do, they only sold about 34 in the UK and it was hard enough "persuading" them to sell you one !! They are certainly not for the majority but for those who enjoy hard core old style Porsches in a modern package they hit the spot and then some.....

Quick Reply: GT2 RS Rumors/truths 550+ bhp PDK ?