Notices
General Mercedes-Benz General Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Anyone have any experience with the GL's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone have any experience with the GL's?

My dad's thinking of getting a GL, probably the 550. Any opinions on the series, or other cars in the same category (larger car, comfortably seating 6, same price range)?

TIA.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
KAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to all
I drove the Gl 450/550. The 550 has balls for such large SUV. Very large and comfortable and easy to maneuver around town. Nice and spacious.

To be honest with you, I think your pops should go wit the 450, the 550 only has about 47 more hp and I don't think that is enough to make a dramatic difference in such large suv.

Bottom line: Really smooth, comfortable and well built, not the greatest gas mileage but that is expected.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Sleepy996 will become famous soon enoughSleepy996 will become famous soon enoughSleepy996 will become famous soon enoughSleepy996 will become famous soon enoughSleepy996 will become famous soon enoughSleepy996 will become famous soon enoughSleepy996 will become famous soon enoughSleepy996 will become famous soon enoughSleepy996 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ashokn225
My dad's thinking of getting a GL, probably the 550. Any opinions on the series, or other cars in the same category (larger car, comfortably seating 6, same price range)?

TIA.
I picked up a CPO 07 GL450 witgh 33k miles for $39k. I had to put tires and brakes on normal wear and tear. Only thing out of the norm was the rear air susp bags or springs leaked and had them replaced but was under warranty. Keep the car at our mnt house and great in the snow and easy to use electric 3rd row seating. Alot of SUV for the money !

Old 03-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Teamspeed Member
sunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant future
I have one and we love it. Surprisingly good power. Very easy to drive and maneuver. Very comfortable. Have taken it on several vacation trips and has been rock solid. We were surprised at how much we like it. Drives like a larger S550. I like the 550s body package and extras over the 450. Highly recommended.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Banned
Jo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond repute
R63 AMG. More comfortable. Quieter. Less money to get into and massive collector potential.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
I drove an GL450 extensively, and thought it was a great setup. Would have liked a more aggressive look and feel with a little more punch, which is what a 550 gives you.

A Q7 3.0 TDI (222HP/406lbs.ft. TQ) could be cool as well. Drove a 4.2 Q7 which I thought was great. Well built, nice features, good interface, and lots of room. I like the idea of a diesel, but it's also cheap in Oregon. Not sure about the NE.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond repute
being conservative, get a 450.

not interested in conservation, get a 550.

the 450 @ 330 hp is plenty. however, the middle seat is small if you have 3 ppl in it for more than a short ride...

Old 03-10-2010, 08:09 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
a few of my family members with kids have them. they are ok, essentially a mercedes suburban. if you want the badge go ahead, otherwise there is nothing particularly attractive about these things.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
I have no relevent advice because I have not ever driven one. BUT I dont think its a particularly good looking car

Old 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Jordan Fish is an unknown quantity at this point
Owned 2 a 450 and a 550. It is one of the best SUVs I have ever driven.

Quick Reply: Anyone have any experience with the GL's?