Notices
General BMW | Mini General BMW & Mini Cooper Discussion Forum.

No new MINIs for '08? Manufacturers tapped, dealers sold out

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post No new MINIs for '08? Manufacturers tapped, dealers sold out

If you were planning on hitting one of the 82 U.S. MINI dealers to get your hands on a fuel-efficient Cooper or Clubman, it looks like you'll need to look at plan B. Skyrocketing fuel prices has lifted demand of the little British icons to the point that, with the except of pre-orders, all 2008 models are pretty much sold out. The MINI's cute looks and thrifty petrol-sipping discipline have made the retro hatch more attractive than ever. Year over year sales increases of 39%, 52%, and 24% from April-June have all but wiped clean the MINI's already tight inventory.

Although sales really picked up in April, the MINI has been on fire all year, as the 26,400 MINIs sold in the first half of 2008 represents a 33.6% increase over the same sales period in 2007. And thanks to the MINI's already tight world-wide demand, the BMW-owned automaker can only up US shipments by 2-3k units for the rest of the year.

Team MINI wants to keep its new-found fortune coming, too, as it plans to increase its dealer count to 95 stores by 2011. The British automaker will also introduce a diesel MINI once it can pass emissions in all 50 states.

Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Our dealership (BMW) doesn't sell Mini's, but we're selling our pre-owned units for substantially inflated prices, and we're getting what we ask. It's amazing what people are willing to pay for these things now. The logic seems off to me, as on of your primary motivations to buy a Mini is economics, yet you're willing to pay ridiculous money for one. Save your money and lease a 135i is what I would do.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Glad I already got mine I guess.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
skitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond repute
I wish they would bring back the R53 MINI (2002-2006). I'm not a huge fan of the re-design from 07.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
littlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond repute
Thats the exact reason I picked up an 08 GTI MkV. The Mini dealer told me it would be 6 months.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
I wish they would bring back the R53 MINI (2002-2006). I'm not a huge fan of the re-design from 07.
I like the clutch feel of the previous generation, but that turbo motor is pretty strong. Talked to a guy in the Mini world a week ago, who had his 2008 on the dyno, and it was at 175HP to the wheel, stock. Spec it with the LSD and add different software and exhaust, and it would be a really fun car. Oh, that's if they weren't asking over sticker for them.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
I'm probably going to pick one up in a few months for a DD.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
skitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M5Kid
I like the clutch feel of the previous generation, but that turbo motor is pretty strong. Talked to a guy in the Mini world a week ago, who had his 2008 on the dyno, and it was at 175HP to the wheel, stock. Spec it with the LSD and add different software and exhaust, and it would be a really fun car. Oh, that's if they weren't asking over sticker for them.
I agree. The turbo motor certainly is superior to the previous generation, I just personally prefer the old body styling. There isn't THAT much difference in the styling, but enough to make a difference.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Bronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond repute
That's great news for the re-sale value