Notices
General BMW | Mini General BMW & Mini Cooper Discussion Forum.

2008 BMW 328xi coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond repute
2008 BMW 328xi coupe

Hey guys, I am thinking about buying a BMW 328xi coupe. I currently drive a 2008 Honda Civic Mugen Si, but living in Iowa a AWD car has become a necessity. Does anyone own this car and have any positives or negatives about it? Btw I am looking at getting a 6-speed.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
My buddy had one for 3 years before trading it in last week for a '09 335i sedan. He had the automatic trans in both cars and says he prefers it to the manual. It drove nice and was pretty good in the snow from what I can remember, but he decided he could get by with RWD and a good set of snow tires.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
I never found the NA 3.0 motor to be all that pleasing. I'd step up to a 335xi if at all possible.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:25 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M5Kid
I never found the NA 3.0 motor to be all that pleasing. I'd step up to a 335xi if at all possible.
+1

either you get a 3 liter Diesel which is really badass and especially with AWD it is perfect for your terrain.
I know you guys don`t know the modern Diesels too much yet but I hope a market for Diesels in the US will establish soon...
be a pioneer and try it

otherwise...go for a 335i

the 3 liter NA engine is low in torque and needs revs to really deliver its power
and this is not exactly what you want when you need quite a bit of it at lower speeds

Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
jmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond repute
At this moment the 335xi is a little bit of a stretch for me, and they are very difficult to find with the x-drive and a manual transmission. Although, I will now have my eyes open for a used 335xi coupe too. Do they really have diesel coupes here in the US because if they do I might be interested?

Old 09-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
You're still going to need snow tires--AWD doesn't help you stop or turn.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sean
You're still going to need snow tires--AWD doesn't help you stop or turn.
Fo sho. You can put the power done, but you proper tires to stop and turn.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by jmusser3r
At this moment the 335xi is a little bit of a stretch for me, and they are very difficult to find with the x-drive and a manual transmission. Although, I will now have my eyes open for a used 335xi coupe too. Do they really have diesel coupes here in the US because if they do I might be interested?
No, the diesel is only available in the sedan.

Have your local BMW do a product search for a 335xi w/ 6speed. They are hard to find, but available. You might be able to work out something.

BTW, although I would consider the 6-speed myself, it isn't the most satisfying box/clutch around. The clutch is light and lacking in feel, and the 6-speed box feels a little long imprecise. The auto with paddles does pretty well.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Yeah, I noticed that about the clutch too but it would be way to hard for me to drive an automatic car. I have actually found a 335xi coupe i like quite a bit on carmax so I may consider expanding the budget to try and get the
335xi.