Notices
General BMW | Mini General BMW & Mini Cooper Discussion Forum.

What's in an '02 Sport Package?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Teamspeed Member
Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
What's in an '02 Sport Package?

I just picked up a 2002 - 540i that has the sport package option (from a Lincoln-Merc dealer in Miami). My local BMW dealer said that includes sport steering wheel, seats and slightly lowered and stiffer suspension. Does anyone know if there is more included such as, higher torque diff, modified tranny software, torque converter, etc.?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
The sport package, besides suspension, is purely cosmetic.

2002 marked the last year for the E39 platform; they were differentiated by the addition of extra chrome trim on the trunk (boot) and on the sides of the body. In all 6-cylinder model 5-Series add a standard sunroof. The optional navigation systems upgraded from CD-ROM format (8 CDs to cover the entire USA and Canada) to single DVD-ROM. The optional sport package on the 540i carried parts from M-technic. This included a full M-tech ground effects, M-tech II suspension, 18 inch wheels, and a variety of M badging. Isofix/LATCH child seat anchors were added. The E39 wagon (touring / estate) was continued into 2004 until the touring version of the new E60 5 Series was released.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_5_Series_%28E39%29

Old 07-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Teamspeed Member
Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Thanks for the response, Tractor.

The wikipedia article needs to be corrected to 2003 as the last year for the E39 chassis (their chart reflects this correction). The '03 did have the special "M-package" I found out thru KenRockwell.com (BMW and Merc enthusiast) who wrote an article about his 2003 - 540i. My '02 - 540i didn't get in on all the M-technic ground effects and 18" wheels that BMW offered on the last model year, but I was hoping it had more on it than just stiffer shocks.

Thanks, again!

Old 07-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Shawn Schroer
My '02 - 540i didn't get in on all the M-technic ground effects and 18" wheels that BMW offered on the last model year, but I was hoping it had more on it than just stiffer shocks.
Interesting, did you get a Carfax or was the original window sticker included? I think also the sport version has an adjustable seat bolster that extends below your legs?

Could be mis-advertised and actually not a sport package.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Teamspeed Member
Had the CarFax, no options listed. No window sticker was saved from original owner. Local BMW dealer didn't even know much about it. Sport options that I do know it has: M-steering wheel, sport seats w/ adjustable thigh cushion (as you mentioned), 17" forged & staggered M-wheels, lowered sport suspension and Steptronic transmission. My main question concerns whether or not it has the engine/tranny software modifications and/or the 3.15 diff.

I do appreciate ur feedback, thanks.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
In 2003, BMW added the Motorsport bodywork to the Sport Package. Prior to this, a 540i Sport had the same bodywork as a non-Sport car. So, your 2002 540i Sport should have: sport seats, steering wheel, wheels (17" split 5 spoke?), performance tires, and suspension.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Nope, I don't know of any BMW sport packages that have modified ECU's or transmissions.

You should post pics when you get a chance! My chiropractor had a black/black 2002 540i with sport package and it was gorgeous!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Shawn Schroer
Had the CarFax, no options listed. No window sticker was saved from original owner. Local BMW dealer didn't even know much about it. Sport options that I do know it has: M-steering wheel, sport seats w/ adjustable thigh cushion (as you mentioned), 17" forged & staggered M-wheels, lowered sport suspension and Steptronic transmission. My main question concerns whether or not it has the engine/tranny software modifications and/or the 3.15 diff.

I do appreciate ur feedback, thanks.
I know that the E38 740i Sport Package did give a different, more aggressive differential. I remember talking to an E39 M5 owner about his wife's 740i Sport, and he commented that the differential it was equipped with made a noticeable difference. But, I'm not sure if the E39 540i got the same treatment . . .

Old 07-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by M5Kid
I know that the E38 740i Sport Package did give a different, more aggressive differential.
Really? This is news to me...

Old 07-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^ Yes, I'm positive. I bet it was a 3.15 gearing (up from 2.xx) but I'm not positive on that . . .

Shawn, perhaps call your local BMW dealer and talk to the parts department. I bet they could look up the differential for the 2002 540i Sport, and see if there are any differences between it, and the non-Sport part.

Quick Reply: What's in an '02 Sport Package?