Notices
General BMW | Mini General BMW & Mini Cooper Discussion Forum.

Unveiled: 5-Series Gran Turismo

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond repute
Unveiled: 5-Series Gran Turismo

From Worldcarfans.
Now we get the official release with full details on the upcoming BMW 5-series Gran Turismo.

We've already seen much of the design characteristics of the GT, such as the movable rear seats which can provide the legroom of a 7-series or be adjusted forward for more luggage space (to a maximum capacity of 1,700 liters) under the rear hatch with a small trap door for easy access to the trunk.

What we want to know is what is coming under the hood.

Well, BMW has announced 3 different engine variants to start with. The 3.0 liter turbo-diesel is what BMW is using to sell the GT's fuel economy and ecological credentials. The 530d Gran Turismo, with 245 hp and 540 Nm of torque, comes with a fuel consumption rating of only 6.5 liters/100 km and a CO2 emissions rating of 173 g/km.

Okay, settled that issue. Now for the fun stuff.

On the more muscular side come the 535i and the 550i variants. The 535i comes with BMW's new straight-six gasoline/petrol engine, a 3.0 liter 6-cylinder TwinPower turbo with 306 hp and 400 Nm of torque. The 550i will feature BMW's powerhouse 4.4 liter, twin-turbo V8 gasoline/petrol power plant with 407 hp and 600 Nm of road-grinding torque.

BMW has confirmed that the Gran Turismo will come with its new 8-speed automatic transmission, so far only featured in the 760i 12-cylinder variant, which will provide nothing but smooth, effortless transitions between gears, no doubt.

The GT's suspension is made mostly of aluminum, with BMW's unique Integral-V rear axle and a double track control arm for the front. Dynamic Drive Control is standard which, along with the optional Adaptive Drive, works with the air suspension at the back and the infinitely variable dampers to assure the most black-bear-climbing-a-tree-like traction and control.

Available on the GT will also be BMW's usual range of technologically marveling bells and whistles, including such greatest hits as the iDrive with a 10.2 inch screen display, BMW ConnectDrive, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Change Warning, side, back and top view camera, just in case you want to turn your driving into a new style of filmmaking, and lots of other little items you will nod your head at in a gesture of impressed approval, brag to your friends about, but never really learn how to use.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond repute
LOL The Pris-looking rear end must be a joke....

Old 05-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
The answer to a question nobody asked.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know why this car was created. Although it could get good use to be used as part of taxi fleets in Europe.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
MiniRup… sometimes the messenger should be shot!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GrayTT
What?!? I bring you the news of a new BMW in which you can wear a top hat while driving (see pics for bizarrely huge amount of driver headroom), and this is how you thank me? Why? WHYYY?!?
Although I agree, I think it looks kind of crap from the outside. I'll bring you the news of a beautiful car next time, promise.

On a side note, I read an article about the GT5 concept, the concept precursor for this car, in the June issue of Car, and the writer were quite keen on the feeling in the cabin: "It has a premium, luxury feel - a wide, tall 'living room' ambience that makes you feel you could traverse an entire continent with ease". The seating position is 6cm heigher than a regular Fiver, which should make entry and exit easier, as well as giving you more of a 'command' seating position. And I gotta say, I quite like the interior, but it'll need a dark colour and huge wheels to pull it off visually, at least for me.

Oh, and if you want niche products, check this out: Also according to Car, Audi is doing a 4-door coupe, CLS-style - of the A3. Er, what?

Old 05-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
why not an x6 or 5 series estate?

Old 05-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Mr Kram
why not an x6 or 5 series estate?
Part of the reasoning allegedly is that SUV's aren't really as socially acceptable nor as desireable right now as they used to be, but estate cars are. With this, you get some of the seating and interior room benefits of an suv in something more reminiscent of a regular estate. A car for the times, I suppose.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
It should be re-veiled immediately. My god, that's hideous.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GrayTT
yup, and THIS IS SPARTA!

wow that car is hideous. bmw's slow version of the panamera?

Quick Reply: Unveiled: 5-Series Gran Turismo