Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.
View Poll Results: Best luxury SUV
Infiniti QX80 (formerly QX56)
7.69%
Lexus LX570
23.08%
MB GL-450
61.54%
my mom makes me drive a prius
7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

What would you have....GL-450 vs QX80 vs Lexus LX570?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
agree with comment on resale,though because i keep my vehicles till the near the end of their usefulness, less of an issue for me.

My 2001 LX470 w 180K miles is not worth all that much

Old 09-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
What are you using it for? How many kids, for you or the wife?
DD?

I like, none of them.
Infiniti is a brand that I have never considered. If I'm not going Euro than I'm going for practical and economical, like our Sienna minivan for wife and kids. Yes, I'm a euro snob with cars

LX 570 was the worst car choice in the past 10 years for me. Sold it after 8months. Tech was subpar compared to the others, the ML stereo sucked, it was very slow, and worst of all had the worst handling feel. Wife and I hated driving it as we felt exhausted driving it around town and slowing to 10 mph to not lean over around turns. The seats were very comfortable and the 2nd row were super roomy. 3rd were only useful for 10 and younger and left no trunk space. But for 92k it was lacking in everything else.

The GL is by far the better choice. If you are going to spend that much on a SUV, you might as well get the GL550, otherwise get a GMC Denali or minivan with AWD.

With a big SUV, you really want something that drives and feels smaller than it is. The GL, Q7, RR, X5 meet that criteria.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
LX470 experience a little different than his 570 experience. Yes it wallows, also swallows up rocks, and goes down back wood trails that the X5 and Q7 would get stuck on.

Around town it is slow, but comfortable. I think the sound quality of the ML is great, but user interface mediocre. NAV frustrating in that it locks out when car is moving, ARGHH!!!! 3rd row, royal pain in butt. Hard to get to, don't stow, heavy to remove...

Very reliable, but as mentioned, at 90k, I think it is now overpriced.

I want RR with lexus relaibility!

Old 09-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ritesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
I want RR with lexus relaibility!
LOL - Don't we all.

All the 3 have their strengths and weaknesses. I personally think the QX is the best design but it won't have Lexus build quaility or resale. The GL is a stretched ML and a bit small on the inside. The previous gen was an Absolute P.O.S.(good friend is a MB service advisor and said that it was the worst car MB made in the past 5-6 years). Hopefully the new one is much nicer.

Audi Q7 - outdated/too small. New one should be coming out soon.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
smokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond repute
Lexus wins for me all day. Infiniti way over styled. MB GL needs new facelift plus is not as reliable as one would hope.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Carrera
All are ugly, way too large, over styled, overpowered (consider mainly soccer moms drive them), and have too many numbers and letters in their name.

Maybe a Range Rover?
I'm looking for large and over the top. The numbering bullshit that everyone's doing now is HORRIBLE. The RR's are unreliable and are in every drive way where I am.

Originally Posted by Jdub2348
Toyota Landcruiser.
Not enough luxury for the price

Originally Posted by Ced
Lexus easily, off road capability, air ride, plus it holds its value like a G-class Mercedes.

The old GL's can be had for 16k these days, old QX for like 9k, try that with a Lex LX/Landcruiser
The prices of the GL's now make me wonder about all those issues people complain about. Apparently they are maintenance nightmares

Originally Posted by zzzspeed
What are you using it for? How many kids, for you or the wife?
DD?

I like, none of them.
Infiniti is a brand that I have never considered. If I'm not going Euro than I'm going for practical and economical, like our Sienna minivan for wife and kids. Yes, I'm a euro snob with cars

LX 570 was the worst car choice in the past 10 years for me. Sold it after 8months. Tech was subpar compared to the others, the ML stereo sucked, it was very slow, and worst of all had the worst handling feel. Wife and I hated driving it as we felt exhausted driving it around town and slowing to 10 mph to not lean over around turns. The seats were very comfortable and the 2nd row were super roomy. 3rd were only useful for 10 and younger and left no trunk space. But for 92k it was lacking in everything else.

The GL is by far the better choice. If you are going to spend that much on a SUV, you might as well get the GL550, otherwise get a GMC Denali or minivan with AWD.

With a big SUV, you really want something that drives and feels smaller than it is. The GL, Q7, RR, X5 meet that criteria.
Funny you mention the Denali..GM just revealed the new one. They really don't do anything for me. Still seems so blame and unexciting. I'm terrified of the GL maintenance as well as the minivan look. I'm looking for a highway family hauler.

Originally Posted by smokinghot4cars
Lexus wins for me all day. Infiniti way over styled. MB GL needs new facelift plus is not as reliable as one would hope.
Seems like lexus also holds its value really well. The GL is now at the bottom of my list. This poll is really surprising me

Old 09-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Terraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura about
I honestly don't like any of the aforementioned SUV's. but if I had to choose (keep in mind I haven't driven any of them) I would go for the GL, but I see some guys mention reliability issues, so maybe the Lexus it the way to go.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ritesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond repute
I own a 2008 Yukon XL Denali 2WD. It is a large boat on wheels but great for towing my cars to the track. It rides a bit rough on the streets but does fine on the Hwy. Gives 13 MPG. If/when I replace it I am looking at the same choices as the OP BUT I need room so RR is prolly out. Lexus or next gen Escalade or LC or just maybe a F150 will be next. I live in Texas so having a Pick up or a large SUV is basically a necessity.