Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

Importing a car from Canada to the US

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Importing a car from Canada to the US

Hello
I was wondering if anyone had any experience importing a car from Canada to the US. Any tips or advice? I've found a transport company that said they can help with customs, not sure what that means yet.

If it make a difference, the car was originally a US vehicle before being sold and registered in Canada.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
WhinEy55 is an unknown quantity at this point
A close friend of mine had imported 2 Japan-spec Rx7's from Canada. The first car he bought was from a private owner, and had him drive it through the border like any other car. He also tried having another FD brought through on a trailer, and customs confiscated it.The headlights, tires, and other safety features weren't up to US specs. Even after many letters to customs, he never saw the second FD again.

I guess the moral of the story is, as long as it's a US-spec car, you shouldn't have any problems getting it back over the border.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Yeah i'm hoping that helps.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using teamspeed

Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
bbimpreza is an unknown quantity at this point
I imported a car from Canada back in 2011. Make sure to check with your local DMV on the process to register a car from Canada as that is where I had the biggest problems. My local DMV required I have a VIN verification by the local Police Car Theft Unit and then gave me issues with the documentation that the border agents gave me.

I drove the car across the border between Vancouver and Seattle. If the car is over 25 years old it will be fairly painless as you will not really need much other than a bill of sale. If the car is newer than 25 years, I had a obtain a document from the car manufacturer stating that the car meet US emissions and crash safety standards. With that document, a bill of sale, transfer of title and payning the importation fees that was about it.

This website helped me a bit.

Importing a Motor Vehicle into the U.S.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Great info! Thanks, I really appreciate it! I'm hoping the fact that the car was originally a US vehicle will help.

Last edited by Full Tilt Rally; 01-10-2013 at 10:44 PM.